Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D Magnolia Blossoms  (Read 5524 times)

Lacunapratum

Pentax 645D Magnolia Blossoms
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »

The Pentax arrived somewhat late to the exclusive club of medium format digital cameras.  Initially, there were Mamiya/Phase, Hasselblad, and the much undervalued Hy6.  The Leica S2 came later.  Today, both Leica and Hasselblad have their own set of dedicated lenses and Phase One appears to add a new line of Schneider lenses and perhaps even replace their existing line.  Newcomers to the Pentax medium format digital world have been concerned about the lack of a "new" digital lens line, sometimes overlooking what is available already. 

During film days, the Pentax 645nii was one of my favorite medium format cameras, and I had a huge stable of lenses.  Highlights of the range included the A and FA 35mm, the 75mm, the 120mm macro A and FA, and 150mm FA, and the two APO Tele lenses 300mm and 400mm.  In the telephoto range, there were also the 600mm A and the P67 800mm F6.3 via adapter.  In addition, there was an excellent set of zoom lenses, notably the 33-55mm, the 45-85mm, the 80-160mm, and the 150-300mm.  I didn't have the 45-85mm, but I kept all the others.  In addition, there were countless adaptations, including the P67 lenses from Pentax' big brother, the Pentacon Six lenses, and the very fine Exakta 66 lenses, all of which were easily adaptable.  These expanded the range with a 45mm shift, a 500mm APO Arsat, and the 1000mm Carl Zeiss Jena mirror lens.  Macro lenses and soft focus lenses were adaptable as well.  The P645 system appeared to have no limits. 

I spent years following photographic equipment news listening to announcements and subsequent retractions/cancellations to see whether Pentax would come through.  For me, when the P645D finally appeared, there was not only a great large format sensor digital camera, but also a new home for all my lenses and adaptations.  I was delighted to see the relatively modest price (compared to the others), the integrated 39MP back, and the user friendly engineering.  All of the lenses mentioned above turned out to be excellent performers on the P645D as well.  While a savior for my lens collection, the P645D offers advantages also to those who are willing to experiment and add new lenses to their range that aren't listed in the catalogue. 

One of the magnificent ways to take advantage of the Pentax P645D adaptability is the realm of soft focus lenses.  Last weekend the spring in Illinois was unseasonably warm and the magnolia trees started blossoming.  These blossoms are lovely subjects for soft focus lenses.  Last weekend I took out seven of them for a test to compare and explore their different imaging characteristics.  There are others in my cabinet, most notably the Imagons and Pentax' own 120mm P67 lens.  Here I have focused on the seven mentioned below.  The Cooke 945 is shown at f/4.5 and f/5.6 and the Graf Variable both in resting position and in fully extended position.  Otherwise I'd just let the images speak for themselves.  Here is the list of all the lenses employed. 

Emil Busch A.G. Rathenow Petzval 100mm F4      
Dr. Staeble Portrait-Objektiv Tachyplast 15cm F3.2   
Meniscus 180mm F3.5
Hermagis (Paris) Eidoscope No. 4 190mm F5
Cooke Portrait PS945 9“ F4.5
Graf Variable Anastigmat 8.5”–9.5” F3.8-4.5
Darlot Opticien Paris  10” F5   

Together, this compilation may provide new insights into the enormous possibilities of the P645D beyond the small range of newly developed digital lenses that are available today. 

Ray Cox

Re: Pentax 645D Magnolia Blossoms
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »

Thanks for the images.  I am also using the P645D. Love the ergonomics of this thing.  Very intuitive controls, especially since I also have the K5. Will have to experiment a little with other lenses than the Pentax's.  I am currently using the A35, A75, A200 and the FA120 lenses. I find all of them quite adequate. 

theguywitha645d

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:15 pm »

Thanks for all that work.

How are you mounting all these lenses on the 645D?

Could you show and example of the 67 soft focus lens on the 645D? What is your impression of it?

Lacunapratum

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:49:04 pm »

Lenses are mounted with a bunch of adapters and with a help of a gifted machinist. 

I am attaching a comparable image with the P67 120mm f/3.5 Soft.  I used to like the lens during film days, but on the P645 it's a little bit on the soft side, as you can see.  The image was taken at 3.5, and softness is reduced at 5.6, which may be a better working f-stop for this lens.  It's very easy to use, however, and I use it with the 67 adapter.  Focusing is down to 0.75m, something like 1:4 or 1:5 macro. 

theguywitha645d

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:20 am »

Thank you.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:42 am »

Two interesting Pentax 645D articles in 2 days, not bad! I like the Tachyplast and the Cooke best.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Lacunapratum

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:25 pm »

Thanks, All, for your kind comments.  It's a great system for sure.  I agree with Brian's pick of the Cooke and the Tachyplast, but the Graf and the Hermagis aren't bad, either.  They all have even more to show at higher resolution.  This is really where the 645D shines.  I am afraid I have a different favorite every day :-\

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »

As long as your not carrying all them around with you at the same time ;)
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Lacunapratum

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »

Of course I do ;D.  Two of the long ones depending on the day, an Imagon in the middle, and a shorter focal length to complete the kit.  Wide angle is limited as the mirror box is in the way of shorter focal lengths.  Great for portraits and close-ups. 

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:29:15 pm »

At the risk of asking something stupid, what is the value of using a super high resolution camera like the 645D with soft focus lenses?

I would think that very similar results would be achievable with any of the 20+mp DSLR with a soft focus filter added to a lens?

This is a genuine question as I have never used soft focus lenses myself and do not understand well how they fare relative to filters.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lacunapratum

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:45:00 pm »

Valid point, Bernard.  Two reasons. 

One is tones and contrast range.  The nuances of the Cooke for example are thousand times nicer on a larger format.  Smaller sensor formats tend to oversimplify and exaggerate the soft effect at the expense of detail.  Haven't been able to explain that optically - just my experience.  Also on an experience level - I found the P67 120mm soft quite nice in film days while on the P645 I find it often just a little bit too much. 

Second reason is focal length. Many of the lenses designed for soft focus photography are in the 8" to 14" range and larger sensors are just a better match. 

There are days I think software isn't too bad at all, but when compared to one of the lenses shown I don't feel digital processing holds up.  Cooke has a web site on the 945 and digital use as well. 

theguywitha645d

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »

A good soft focus lens is not just fuzzy (like putting a softening filter), but can actually have quite high resolving power which is then combined with the glow of the SA of the lens, so you have a dreamy, but sharp image.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:16:36 am »

Thanks!

Cheers,
Bernard

Lacunapratum

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:14:23 am »

Theguywitha645D couldn't have said it better.  And of course there is always the temptation of hacking 150 year old lenses on a $10K digital camera :o.  For me, most of the lenses are left-overs from good-old film days, transformed for the digital age. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up