Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D and EOS Utility Lion Update  (Read 5997 times)

DeeJay

Canon EOS 5D and EOS Utility Lion Update
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

I still use my original Canon 5D every now and then. I use it for certain things and it still produces stunning results.

I am really disgusted to find that the Canon EOS Utility update for Lion excludes support for the Canon 5D. It no longer works with the 5D. I find this completely unacceptable and Canon needs to resolve this at once.

The camera is perfectly capable and I've cared for it very well. I expected to use it for a long time to come for certain things and now this really suggests that these cameras are going to be useless less than a decade after that have been bought. In a day and age where sustainability is paramount, this really comes as a complete shock. It also means that resale value of cameras is going to plummet when people realise how useless a camera beyond 3 or so years is going to shortly become.

It's grossly unacceptable and I demand it to be rectified. I hope anyone else in the same boat makes their voice heard also.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Canon EOS 5D and EOS Utility Lion Update
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »

Good luck with that. I say that sincerely.

Fred Silver

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:18 am »

Go back to EOS Utility 2.8.1.0

DeeJay

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:55:16 pm »

I have had some luck so far. Well, maybe not luck but I didn't get an immediate cut off which I thought I would.

I emailed Canon and complained. I got a response saying that they agree with my sentiments and have escalated the case to technical management.

I urge anyone who is in this position to complain to Canon.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »

I sympathise. Out of curiosity, what do you use it for?

Jeremy

DeeJay

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:16:01 pm »

Most of my work is with an H Blad and P65. But there are times I don't want all that resolution and convoluted set up and there are times I want the look of the Canon 5D. I used that camera intensively for a good 4 years and have a range of looks I developed with it and DPP.

I've since moved from Canon to a Leica M9 for smaller format but still there are times when I want to use the 5D.

Any camera I buy is because it's a new tool. I don't expect to sell any of my tools. I certainly don't expect a camera to be unusable within 6 years. I have a Leica which belonged to my Grandfather and it still works perfectly well and is still used.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:45:42 am »

Any camera I buy is because it's a new tool. I don't expect to sell any of my tools. I certainly don't expect a camera to be unusable within 6 years.
You haven't really answered my question. What's so special about the EOS utility?

In what sense is your camera "unusable"? One piece of software has bitten the dust. It hasn't affected the camera; there are many other ways of developing raw files from the 5D.

It's annoying, no doubt, but I can't help feeling, on current information, that you're over-reacting.

Jeremy

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:29:23 am »

2.8.1 works with Lion

if you can't find it online I can send it to you

DeeJay

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:53:52 am »

You haven't really answered my question. What's so special about the EOS utility?

In what sense is your camera "unusable"? One piece of software has bitten the dust. It hasn't affected the camera; there are many other ways of developing raw files from the 5D.

It's annoying, no doubt, but I can't help feeling, on current information, that you're over-reacting.

Jeremy

Shooting tethered. Remote Shooting.

It's not overacting, that's ridiculous. It means they are killing off a 6 year old camera.

When you pay good money for something why should you accept that it is crippled in it's capabilities a few year years after you've bought it?

DeeJay

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:56:03 am »

Thanks I have it already. For some reason it plays ball on my older macbook pro but not on my new Mac Pro.

The point is though not finding an old solution that works with old equipment but providing a new solution to use new equipment.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:18:46 am »

Canon crippled that camera for windows users years ago by not providing drivers that worked in a 64 bit OS environment. Still to this day they have not updated these drivers despite most all Windows machines shipping with a 64 bit OS.  I have a very old Windows laptop with a 32 bit OS and its the only computer I can shoot to with this camera.

I have a 1DsMKII and a 5Dii, but quite frankly I downsize 75% of these files prior to client delivery.  There are times I would love to shoot the original 5d.

BTW, I also have Macs, and the camera works fine "sometimes" with the MBP.  I don't take the MBP's on location much however.  Most of my work is in dirty factories and a $700 windows laptop just makes more sense in that environment.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:24:57 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

DeeJay

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:48 am »

Thanks Craig, sorry to hear it has been worse for you!

Also alarming as I'm sure they've had their complaints and done nothing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up