Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston : Can someone help me out with gear.  (Read 15664 times)

Alan W George

• http://alan-george.com/
Re: Boston : Can someone lend me something...
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 11:05:10 pm »

When I need as in "need" the camera it travels with me, I've done so on many occasions, however in this case I can teach exactly the same workshop with a DSLR as with a MF system.

Then perhaps you should just use a DLSR instead of schlepping for a MF system here.

Just sayn'

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 11:09:30 pm »

Then perhaps you should just use a DLSR instead of schlepping for a MF system here.

Which is what Frank already said...the whole point of the post was to find somebody who might be able to provide a MFDB so he didn't have to pack that kit (since he already decided not to pack it). The thought was to be able to demo MFDBs if you could...if he can't he said the the workshop will be fine using DSLRs.

Alan W George

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »

Which is what Frank already said...the whole point of the post was to find somebody who might be able to provide a MFDB so he didn't have to pack that kit (since he already decided not to pack it). The thought was to be able to demo MFDBs if you could...if he can't he said the the workshop will be fine using DSLRs.

BS, he wants a freebee.  Otherwise he would have contacted dealers/venders directly.  Or perhaps he already has and now here he is.  "Can someone loan a MF system to me because I am too lazy to pack one"....  I found his request and tone a little offensive.  Just my opinion...

Anyone familiar with this community would understand that this type of request would not be warmly welcomed, especially without some form of compensation other than "I am not a workshop newbie" and whatever benefits come with that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:46:24 pm by Alan W George »

Schewe

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:58 pm »

BS, he wants a freebee.  Otherwise he would have contacted dealers/venders directly.

He's from the Netherlands...he's not from the US. He knows nobody from Boston. What part of him being "from away" don't you understand? I'm not sure there's a Yellow Pages to access from the Netherlands.

Jeeesh, it's already hard enough for Europeans to come to the US these days. Do you read all posts from a thread before posting? He's already sorry he posted here (I bet that won't happen again soon, thanks for driving a nice guy away).

Given your rather low post count, I'm not sure your opinion is really well informed. Note Frank has over 1400 posts. He's been around a bit. He just doesn't speak American English all that well. Cut him a friggin' break will ya?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:45:24 pm by Schewe »

Alan W George

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 11:58:00 pm »

He's from the Netherlands...he's not from the US. He knows nobody from Boston. What part of him being "from away" don't you understand? I'm not sure there's a Yellow Pages to access from the Netherlands.

Jeeesh, it's already hard enough for Europeans to come to the US these days. Do you read all posts from a thread before posting? He's already sorry he posted here (I bet that won't happen again soon, thanks for driving a nice guy away).

Given your rather low post count, I'm not sure your opinion is really well informed. Note Frank has over 1400 posts. He's been around a bit. He just doesn't speak American English all that well. Cut him a friggin' break will ya?

Cut him a break?  He has a MF system.  Put it in your @$# bag.  Don't ask for mine. 

Schewe

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 12:11:38 am »

Cut him a break?  He has a MF system.  Put it in your @$# bag.  Don't ask for mine. 

Again, I guess you didn't read the whole thread, huh? Since he's not coming to SF, I guess you don't have to worry about loaning him your system. So, why are you bothering to post? Just wanna look tough? BTW I looked you up...no comment on your work, but you obviously aren't a commercial shooter huh? Give a lot of workshops? I didn't think so...

Alan W George

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:52 am »

Again, I guess you didn't read the whole thread, huh? Since he's not coming to SF, I guess you don't have to worry about loaning him your system. So, why are you bothering to post? Just wanna look tough? BTW I looked you up...no comment on your work, but you obviously aren't a commercial shooter huh? Give a lot of workshops? I didn't think so...

Wow! I would have expected more from you.  A personal attack.  I thought better of you.... 

Some guy comes here wanting to have equipment for nothing, with an attitude of "i deserve".  What did he expect?  What did you expect?     

Schewe

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 01:17:25 am »

Wow! I would have expected more from you.  A personal attack.  I thought better of you.... 

Tit for tat bud...

Don't you know me by now? Spend any time on LuLa? (not a lot based on post count, not an active member I would say).

Did you not read the thread?

Did you not understand that Frank's from the Netherlands and doesn't know people here?

Did you not read that perhaps Frank's terminology left a bit left to be desired (when dealing with "Ugly Americans")?

You still piling on this thread is foolish...deal is over, Frank has learned that Americans aren't very friendly. He won't make that mistake again. Move along, these are not the droids you were looking for (which basically means quit...or else I can get even more aggressive).

Get it now?

I'm happy to keep playing, you?

Alan W George

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 02:38:56 am »

(which basically means quit...or else I can get even more aggressive).

Get it now?

I'm happy to keep playing, you?

Nice!  Sort of playground bully wouldnt you say?

Your friend asked to borrow some seriously expensive equipment in a very flippant attitude. And your surprised at the response?

Although I am more surprised with your response.  The rather shallow insults. I thought to respond in kind but honestly....

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Re: Boston : Can someone help me out with gear.
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 03:39:30 am »

Come on guys, please........ Be civilized.
Act like adults.

It's not worth getting such a "fight" over it.
Again in "my world" it's rather normal that we loan/get gear to test/try/demo with. If it would be from a privat person he/she would have gotten a free workshop, if it's a dealer he/she would have gotten promotion in exchange as one of the sponsors of the workshops. So in my opinion it's a normal (at least in my world) win-win situation.

And please could we now just talk about the things that do matter.

I've been contacted by both leaf and a dealer at the moment so I think everything will work out.

Maybe I did choose the wrong words, if so sorry but even then after the first explanation I thought it would be clear ??

The only reason I posted here because it was a last minute decission if I knew it like a month ago I would have just asked leaf and knew for sure a kit was waiting for me at the location. And again if it doesn't work out I will do the workshop with a DSLR, for me personally and the students it doesn't make a difference. I don't have deliver huge files, just some images for the models and maybe some for my online portfolio.

And now I think I defended myself enough.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:43:42 am by Frank Doorhof »

MrSmith

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:50 am »

You speak/write English really well...but sometimes your phraseology is a bit Euro...that can lead to miscommunications (sometimes rather humorous, sometimes not).

English was invented in Europe a long time ago it's many hundreds of years older than some countries that have appropriated the language.
Frank's English sounds fine to me but then i'm a native English speaker.
 ::)

bcooter

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 06:28:09 am »

Mr. X.,

Remember I'm not personalizing this.

Calumet in Cambridge rents Phase One and Hasselblad.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/services/rental.cfm

I think in the world of representing equipment, there is more validity in what you buy yourself than if you get a deal.  Once again, no judgement call here.
IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:03:47 am by bcooter »

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:04 am »

I also pay for 90% of My gear ;)
I'm not someone to take, take. Think that's wrong.

I'm sponsored by Lowepro for example and could get whatever I wanted. I just asked one bag I needed. I know some others would have taken a lot more ;)

I'm in it for the long haul and would much better have that they help me out in situations like this. I own what I need and I don't want more that I will not need just because its free.

But hey that's me.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 07:05:36 am »

Geez,

If anyone from the US (like BC) would come over here (or from another foreign place), to do a shoot or workshop. I would be happy to loan him something provided I could attend, help out and learn something from them too. Sure, it has to fit into my schedule, etc.. etc.. etc..

I would also probably enjoy meeting someone whose work I like...
But that is just me, compensation comes in many forms. I have a bit of a weird policy where I ask more money for things I enjoy less this goes the other way too. I ask less money for things I enjoy more.

There are tons of people that have helped me out in the past, I have also tried to help out others when I could. When I can I will, when I cannot, pity next time better. I don't see the problem. Maybe if I knew someone like Mr. X would travel in a G6 and Bentley....

Perhaps my message is more, if you can help out and are willing to do so just do it. If you cannot or do not want to, why would you give someone else such a hard time? Just continue on your daily routine.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:18:55 am by Dustbak »

darr

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:45 am »

Geez,

If anyone from the US (like BC) would come over here (or from another foreign place), to do a shoot or workshop. I would be happy to loan him something provided I could attend, help out and learn something from them too. Sure, it has to fit into my schedule, etc.. etc.. etc..

Frank never offered a free workshop to an individual; he said "free promotion for the gear."

I worked hard to get my $30,000 gear why should I offer it free-to-use to someone that is making money using it? Unfriendly American? That is an insult. My dealer(s) never gave me anything for free, heck one of them recently kept my $4,000 for a workshop I had to cancel 5 days in advance because of a family emergency. What do I do? Just never give them another dime. Business is business. Through this thread it is clear to see the forum is protecting their interest in possible profits, promotions, etc. of workshop promoters, dealers, etc.

I will remember this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:19:41 am by darr »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 08:28:58 am »

Did I say Frank offered a free workshop? Did I say unfriendly Americans? You can try to filter whatever you like in what I write but read it carefully and you see it is not there.

Nobody is forcing anyone to anything for free, I am merely saying that there is no need to react this offensive. You can help out or not, you can communicate about what you expect in return too.

The hostile attitude is pretty uncalled for.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 08:31:55 am »

Don't think everyone is the same....
I recently refunded a last minute cancellation because the student needed the money for something he could not foresee when he booked, for me it's a bad thing because I keep the pricing of the workshops really low, but on the other hand I thought it must be harder for him so I refunded his money.

I'm actually really in shock by all the responses, I saw ll as one of the places on the net were professionals were hanging and sharing their passion and tips/tricks.

I mentioned many times (as soon as I saw I was not clear enough) that if an individual would offer a loan set he/she would of course be my guest for the workshop (for me that goes without saying) however my initial question was more aimed towards a dealer who was willing to work with me on the workshop as sponsor/endorser etc.

It's a shame that nowadays people always try to find the bad in people before looking at the good. I share my knowledge every day for free via my blog, I keep the pricing of the workshops as low as possible plus when people mail me I respond personally. I had expected a bit more civil responses.... Well I guess also ll is going the way most forums go.... Let's start a fight and burn someone down to the ground.

darr

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 08:46:27 am »

Did I say Frank offered a free workshop? Did I say unfriendly Americans? You can try to filter whatever you like in what I write but read it carefully and you see it is not there.

Nobody is forcing anyone to anything for free, I am merely saying that there is no need to react this offensive. You can help out or not, you can communicate about what you expect in return too.

The hostile attitude is pretty uncalled for.

I did not say you said "unfriendly American;" it was stated within the thread. I am sorry if I offended you as that was not my intention.

If you got that kind of money to lend MFD gear out, more power to you. I recently got burned by a dealer and it was because I trusted them and thought they would do the right thing, but they put profit above humanity. Now days for me it will be strictly business and I will not extend my finances openly to anyone in photography-business arenas. I personally would like to see dealers disappear and buy directly from the manufacturer.

Frank, I hope you are able to work out a deal and get the MFD gear you are hoping for. I know when I traveled to Iceland two years ago it was a lot of gear in Pelican cases for me to pay to have shipped over, but that is what it took to shoot the way I wanted to.

BTW, I have family that are native Norwegians and their English is better than some Americans.  :D Go figure!

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:26 am »

San Francisco, California has the highest per capita rate of homelessness of any city in the United States. I look you up as well..LOL...

OH BOY!

FRANK, I AM IN BROCKTON ( CITY OF CHAMPIONS) I HAVE HASSELBLAD with almost all the lenses if I we can get together my camera its all yours for the time u are teaching.

I can't go to take the class or whatever its, but u can use mine. FREE.

I hope that HASSELBLAD work for you, and we can meet.

people here getting mad, if they do not get free whatever they ask, They take welfare from my taxes, I am giving free already so ignore them., they have right but no one else.

Look at brendan, I didn't sale a lens for the price his want in then he got mad, and I am sure he do not have hassy at all..I look him up as well.OH BOY Its a look up..U look at me i look at you.

he maybe need someone to help him to cross the street.

Life its just BEAUTIFUL.

Let me know, my cell its in my website.(from CA)
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 11:18:22 am »

Thx so much for the offer. At the moment leaf/phase is on the case so it will work out. However if you feel like meeting up and chat just let me know. Love the fact you're offering something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up