Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AIPAD Show at Park Ave Armory = Christmas for Photographers everywhere!  (Read 1083 times)

macuser88

http://eduardoangel.com/2012/03/29/get-set-for-aipad-starts-today/

Get set for AIPAD. Starts today.

AIPAD from Above

If you have ever been to an AIPAD show in New York City, then you know that ‘tis the sea­son to be excited for the 32nd anniver­sary of this once-a-year pho­tog­ra­phy showcase.

Start­ing today and until April 1, 2012, pho­tog­ra­phers, art deal­ers, hob­by­ists and inter­na­tional art enthu­si­asts will gather together for the lat­est in art pho­tog­ra­phy at the Asso­ci­a­tion of Inter­na­tional Pho­tog­ra­phy Art Dealer’s (AIPAD) Pho­tog­ra­phy Show, return­ing to the Park Avenue Armory in the Upper west side.

The Armory was built as a mil­i­tary facil­ity and designed by the world’s lead­ing artists and archi­tects in 1861, includ­ing Charles W/ Clin­ton (later a part­ner of Clin­ton & Rus­sel), Louis Com­fort Tiffany, Stan­ford White Herter Brother, Pot­tier & Sty­mus, and archi­tects of the Astor Hotel.  The main hall, mea­sures 55,000 square feet…that is a lot of room for a gallery, wouldn’t you say? It remains as one of the few unim­peded spaces remain­ing in New York.

This year is going to be huge, with 75 of the world’s lead­ing art gal­leries con­tribut­ing all dif­fer­ent kinds of pho­to­graphic work includ­ing con­tem­po­rary, mod­ern, abstract, 19th cen­tury, photo-based art, dig­i­tal video.… you name it!

In addi­tion to the amaz­ing vari­ety of art­work that you will encounter, there are also panel dis­cus­sions and sem­i­nars from some of the world’s most influ­en­tial pho­tog­ra­phers and cura­tors includ­ing a con­ver­sa­tion between Dutch pho­tog­ra­pher, Rineke Djisk­tra and Jen­nifer Bless­ing, cura­tor of pho­tog­ra­phy at the Solomon R Guggen­heim Museum.

“High­lights of this year’s pho­tog­ra­phy exhi­bi­tion include work by Julia Mar­garet Cameron, Ansel Adams, André Kertész and Henri Cartier-Bresson, as well as a vari­ety of mod­ern and con­tem­po­rary show­cases such as those of Linda McCart­ney and Karen Knorr and an exclu­sive exhi­bi­tion by David Zwirner gallery of a new body of work by Philip-Lorca DiCor­cia, in which he endeav­ours to find a bal­ance between doc­u­men­tary and the­atri­cally staged pho­tog­ra­phy. There is also an exhi­bi­tion of per­sonal cards sent from pho­tog­ra­phers such as Lee Fried­lan­der and Jerry Uels­mann.”  Read the press release. to see more fea­tured speak­ers and artists.

For only $40, you can get a four-day pass, or $25 for a one-day pass.  Even bet­ter, stu­dents can pay $10 for a one-day pass. I would highly rec­om­mend this show to any­one who is in the least bit inter­ested to under­stand past and present trends in pho­to­graphic mediums.

For more details, visit www.aipad.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up