Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Process Conversion  (Read 8130 times)

aduke

Re: 2012 Process Conversion
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »

LR4 certainly does not pick up the LR3 backup preferences.

Alan

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »

When you first open a LR3 catalog in LR4, you are asked to update the old catalog...it gives you the option of renaming-but I would NOT name it the same and overwrite your old catalog, that would not be a good thing to do. By default I think it takes the name of the old catalog and adds a -2 at the end. So as long as YOU preserve the old LR3 catalog, you can still open that in LR3.

Note, any changes you make in the upgraded catalog can not really be put back into the LR3 catalog. So once you start working, you form a new branch...also, with regards to the LR 4 updated catalog, you'll want to make sure your preferences for that catalog are properly set...I'm not sure an updated catalog inherits the LR3 catalog prefs...and be sure to do a backup!

Jeff, many thanks for insight :)

So as this is the first I will have updated LR (LR3 was my first) I will have read each dialogue very carefully.  If I read your guidance right ~ LR4 gives the choice of updating the old LR3 catalogue the answer should be no but to rename it and by doing so LR4 takes a copy of the catalogue with an LR4 unique name for it.  And as such n'er the twain will meet for the two catalogues!

As for the preferences such as its store location these will need to be set as required like in LR3 if you wish to over-ride the default preferences.

Lastly, I did see an online uTube about using virtual copies of PV2010 images being opened in LR4 and when you make changes to use the "Before & After" side by side view in Develop module to see the PV2010 to PV2012 differences ~ made a lot of sense to me as it keeps the original PV2010 version intact and shows readily any changes the PV2012 is making to the PV2010 original.

Just need to order up my upgrade but use the trial period of the download in the meantime...................though that will have to wait as I have a week away on business :(

Oh, not forgeting to make sure LR4 does not over-write the LR3 installation by default.................but it does sound like it installs naturally into its own root folder???
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:46 pm »

If I read your guidance right ~ LR4 gives the choice of updating the old LR3 catalogue the answer should be no but to rename it and by doing so LR4 takes a copy of the catalogue with an LR4 unique name for it.

No...wrong, you _DO_ want to update the LR3 catalog...you just want to give it a unique name so it won't over write you original LR3 catalog. The original LR3 catalog will remain untouched.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 11:32:35 pm »

No...wrong, you _DO_ want to update the LR3 catalog...you just want to give it a unique name so it won't over write you original LR3 catalog. The original LR3 catalog will remain untouched.

My experience was that Lightroom 4 provided the unique name on its own, by adding -2 to the original (custom) name - but no harm making sure by naming it yourself.
Ken Cameron

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 02:13:22 am »

I believe that's incorrect.
You should be able to copy the process version develop setting and paste across a whole catalogue.
Might not be a quick process.......

If I understand the question correctly, the poster was asking if he converted all of his images from PV2010 to PV2012 whether or not it would be possible to convert them en masse back to PV2010.  I think we've all agreed doing so would be a really bad idea, but it IS possible.  To test it I took a rejected image (which was in PV2010) and set the sliders in the basic panel all to 50.  I then updated the image to PV2012, and in the conversion the final result was quite different (as expected). However, I backed up a step and created a new Develop preset (called Test), unselecting all of the boxes EXCEPT Process Version.  Actually, when you click Uncheck All, Process Version remains checked by default.  Anyway, I re-converted the image to PV2012, then applied the 'Test' preset and it changed it back to PV2010 with the sliders as I had set them. One could select all images, apply the 'Test' preset and it would convert them all to PV 2010.  Why you would want to do this I have no idea, but it is possible.  Certainly better to choose images that you'd like to update and work on them individually.

Mike.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 07:05:09 am »

Jeff, thanks for making that more pointed for me.  I would hate to muck it up  :o  So 'updating' the LR3 gives the option to rename (either the default rename or one chosen by me) and this action creates the LR4 working copy of the LR3 catalogue :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up