Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemühle Varnish  (Read 3050 times)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Hahnemühle Varnish
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »

Has anyone tested it?
http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/1263/hahnemuehle-varnish.html

I did test it yesterday (gloss and matte) and so far so good. I am used to spay Clear Shield Type C (gloss and matte) on canvas and decided to test this new product because we do have a Hahnemühle´s reseller nearby and the Clear Shield I have to import from the US.

I was a bit worried as the documentation only mentions rolling, but I went ahead and did as I do with the Clear Shield: Diluted (3 parts of varnish 1 part of water) and sprayed two coats with a cheap HVLP turbine. The results are the same (or even better) than what i get with the Clear Shield. Dries very fast (dry to touch in half an hour) and looks nice. I will report the cracking on corners once stretched, but the folding test I did today showed no cracking.

So far I am as pleased as I could be and plan to use it exclusively.

Best regards.

StuNY

Re: Hahnemühle Varnish
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06:43 am »

I used this for a bunch of canvas gallery wraps but eventually the fumes got to me (was rolling it on in my basement) so switched to the Eco Print Shield. The results were good though, and I never had any problem with cracking. I still have a few hanging in my house finished with the varnish and they are holding up very well.

fetish

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:43:27 am »

I used this for a bunch of canvas gallery wraps but eventually the fumes got to me (was rolling it on in my basement) so switched to the Eco Print Shield. The results were good though, and I never had any problem with cracking. I still have a few hanging in my house finished with the varnish and they are holding up very well.

the website says it's waterbased, so what kind of fumes are you referring to? does it have a nasty smell?

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:26:24 pm »

Most "water based" varnishes have some level of solvent. I suspect both, Hahnemühle´s and Clear Shield, have some as they smell like it and because they dry very fast.
As I spray it, I always use a gas mask with googles, so the smell (and the fumes) do not bother me. Once dry they do not smell anymore.

Best regards.

StuNY

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:06 pm »

the website says it's waterbased, so what kind of fumes are you referring to? does it have a nasty smell?

My mistake, I was using this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677550-REG/Hahnemuhle_14600192_FineArt_Masters_Varnish.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up