Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UniWB with 5D Mark III  (Read 3347 times)

Calliope

UniWB with 5D Mark III
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

Is it possible that Canon has changed something that has made the "quick method" of obtaining a UniWB profile invalid for this new model? I know very little about creating and assessing a UniWB profile, but so far I have been unable to create one that is giving me information that is more accurate than what the camera's AWB can provide.

I made a custom WB file by shooting an ISO 100 CR2 with all channels blown. The "blinkies" that I get from using that file as my custom white balance are not correct. They show that highlights are not clipped when they actually are. Has anyone else tried to create a UniWB file for the 5D Mark III?

Calliope

Re: UniWB with 5D Mark III
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:12:23 pm »

110 views and no replies? Has nobody else tried to use UniWB with this camera?

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »

I did the same with a 5D mark II ,  a shot with lens cap to get uniWB

Calliope

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »

Thanks, I had great success with UniWB on my 5D Mark II. I had reached histogram nirvana with that one. But so far, I can't get accurate histograms and blinkies when using UniWB with the Mark III. They are telling me I have overhead in the raw that I don't. They are failing to report clipping in the image. The auto WB is far more accurate than UniWB, so something is wrong.

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:17:47 pm »

I have no idea with the 5D mark III,  but it will be good to get a build-in uniWB with any pro modern body

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:03 am »

Is it possible that Canon has changed something that has made the "quick method" of obtaining a UniWB profile invalid for this new model? I know very little about creating and assessing a UniWB profile, but so far I have been unable to create one that is giving me information that is more accurate than what the camera's AWB can provide.

I made a custom WB file by shooting an ISO 100 CR2 with all channels blown. The "blinkies" that I get from using that file as my custom white balance are not correct. They show that highlights are not clipped when they actually are. Has anyone else tried to create a UniWB file for the 5D Mark III?

why don't you use a not so quick method as described by Guillermo ?

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm

plus if you camera has WB fine tuning using A-B/G-M coordinates then you can get an approx. color of target  and then in several iterations fine tune you WB to proper WB multilpliers w/o shooting a target or adjusting targets color.

Pages: [1]   Go Up