Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing the Human Condition  (Read 9405 times)

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: Photographing the Human Condition
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:40 pm »

system, I shot a D3 and a D300 interchangeably, and, quite frankly, I never paid much attention to the difference in the viewfinders. (And for those who find a specific cachet in film shooters, I'm 68 and started shooting

Same for me. On more than one occasion I have picked up the 40D instead of the 5D MKII and didn't notice the difference until the mirror slapped at the first shot.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 08:25:54 pm »

Same for me. On more than one occasion I have picked up the 40D instead of the 5D MKII and didn't notice the difference until the mirror slapped at the first shot.
You didn't notice!! Decent observational powers are kind of handy for a photographer.
Looking through a crop sensor viewfinder is usually like looking down a tunnel at a much smaller image. Horrible.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:28 pm »

People also do not notice a monkey in a basketball game, so Pierre at al are forgiven ;)

jjj

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:48 am »

People also do not notice a monkey in a basketball game, so Pierre at al are forgiven ;)
:)
But I'm sure they would notice if suddenly watching clip on a different sized TV. And I was specifically talking about photographers, who should be better at observation than average. Plus that experiment is a mind trick as you are being asked to keep count of something quite complex.
Are the people who do not notice the big variance in viewfinder size doing multiple quadratic equations with left eye, whilst looking through viewfinder with right eye?  ;)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:49:11 pm »

You didn't notice!! Decent observational powers are kind of handy for a photographer.
Looking through a crop sensor viewfinder is usually like looking down a tunnel at a much smaller image. Horrible.

Perhaps his observational powers were focussed on what he was trying to photograph. A capacity to concentrate on what is important (taking the picture), and ignore everything that can have no immediate impact on it (the quality of his viewfinder), is maybe also kind of handy for a photographer.
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 03:58:30 am »

Perhaps his observational powers were focussed on what he was trying to photograph. A capacity to concentrate on what is important (taking the picture), and ignore everything that can have no immediate impact on it (the quality of his viewfinder), is maybe also kind of handy for a photographer.

To quote a famous quotation: you can not be serious!

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:07 am »

Except it does have a very immediate impact.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:26 pm »

To quote a famous quotation: you can not be serious!
Rob C

I am entirely serious. Perhaps I mean something other than you suppose.  I used to own a 40D and a 5D Mkii myself and of course was aware of the difference between their viewfinders, particularly immediately after I first acquired the 5D. But after a while I became less aware of it, and took each camera as I found it. And when I picked up either camera, I simply used its viewfinder to look through and rarely reflected on its quallity, whether positive or negative, because it was a given as far as my current image was concerned and noticing it could only be a distraction which, if the subject was fast moving, might even result in my missing the shot. I am not saying that an excellent viewfinder isn't a fine thing and generally conducive to image quality - that would not be a serious proposition - rather that when taking a particular photograph with a given camera, it is only the variables that can have an immediate impact so that thinking about anything else is a waste of time. My general point was about the importance of concentration in photography, as opposed to - or in addition - to observational powers, however defined, and about the nature of concentration, as requiring that we notice only what is immediately relevant. In the video referenced by Slobodan, anyone who notices the monkey necessarily fails at the assigned task - counting the number of times a player in white passes the ball. In photography, think about the quality of equipment before you buy it rather than while you are using it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:55:36 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:06 am »

Except it does have a very immediate impact.
I would count as "having an immediate impact" only things you can do something about, at that moment, with the camera in your hand. You can't fix the viewfinder, so don't even think about it. Look through it rather than at it. Pay attention to framing, exposure, timing etc - things you can change and which can make a difference.
Ken Cameron

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:18 pm »

Well, accidents do happen and I wasn't especially proud of myself. This being said, the problem arose because I have 5 DSLRs and they are usually mounted on what I feel the best lenses are for them (at least for my use). The full frames have the 12-24 and the 24-70 permanently installed. And the cropped frames are usually ready to go with the 70-200 and 300. It's only when I plan video that I switch things since only one of either kind supports video. That was one of those days... Having my photographic skills described as horrible doesn't bother me as they are much closer to awfulness than they are to genius. I am not the kind of who takes an hour to photograph a flower and then believe I've shot a museum piece. :-)

jjj

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 04:33:16 am »

Having my photographic skills described as horrible doesn't bother me as they are much closer to awfulness than they are to genius.
Your work was certainly not described as horrible. Pokey viewfinders were.

jjj

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 04:36:50 am »

I would count as "having an immediate impact" only things you can do something about, at that moment, with the camera in your hand. You can't fix the viewfinder, so don't even think about it. Look through it rather than at it. Pay attention to framing, exposure, timing etc - things you can change and which can make a difference.
I on the other hand would count as "having an immediate impact", anything that does just that. Just because you cannot affect/change something does not mean it has no affect on how you use one's camera.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:01 am »

I on the other hand would count as "having an immediate impact", anything that does just that. Just because you cannot affect/change something does not mean it has no affect on how you use one's camera.

I suspect that at this point we may be in violent disagreement about - nothing much.
Ken Cameron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up