Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF 6300 New Owner Questions  (Read 8366 times)

Mike Raub

Re: Canon IPF 6300 New Owner Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:27 am »

Thanks, David. I wonder if the 21x31 page trick would also work. I didn't have a chance to play with the printer yesterday, but will try it this week. I think there is also an option to scale to roll width, which may also work. If all else fails, I'll consult the 1000+ page manual.

Does Qimage produce visibly superior prints than the Canon driver? I'm a Mac guy, but do have a Win7 laptop I could use for printing.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 03:53:05 pm »

Thanks, David. I wonder if the 21x31 page trick would also work. I didn't have a chance to play with the printer yesterday, but will try it this week. I think there is also an option to scale to roll width, which may also work. If all else fails, I'll consult the 1000+ page manual.

Does Qimage produce visibly superior prints than the Canon driver? I'm a Mac guy, but do have a Win7 laptop I could use for printing.

Probably not. I haven't tested that with the 6300. I plan to do this soon. My guess is that Qimage in 8 bit printing will overall give at least equal results to Canon's 16 bit output. The last time I looked at this was on an Epson 3800, and Qimage was considerably better. It's not bypassing the the printer's driver, more like a better “front end”.
The main advantage for me is speed. I have all my printer/paper/output size/driver settings combinations set up as presets. All I have to do is select one (eg Ilford Gold Fibre Silk on 17” roll in monochrome with moderate output sharpening applied and a custom B&W profile applied and highest resolution) and Qimage sets up the layout and adjusts the printer settings. All I have to do is adjust the paper length in the driver if printing on a roll to match the print size. No double/triple checking driver settings. No wasted paper because I overlooked something.
Its print sharpening is good. It uprezzes on the fly and to my eye beats Photoshop and Genuine Fractals by a long way. Haven't tried Photozoom. Here it's also a question of convenience. If I uprez in Photoshop I end up with huge files, and considerable work to add enough grain to minimise artefacts and so on. Qimage takes about ten seconds to do a better job.
I don't want to give the impression it's the be-all and end-all for printing, of course it's not. But it suits my workflow.

Mike Raub

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 12:04:03 am »

Creating a 31x21 page did result in the full 20x30 image printing. It was not centered, but that's not a problem since I trim the prints to fit in some 20x30 clip frames I have.

I'm still getting a "printer not connected" message from the IPF Monitor, even though the computer does send data to the printer just fine. I also cannot check ink levels on the computer, getting the message "information not available."

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:46 pm »

Creating a 31x21 page did result in the full 20x30 image printing. It was not centered, but that's not a problem since I trim the prints to fit in some 20x30 clip frames I have.

I'm still getting a "printer not connected" message from the IPF Monitor, even though the computer does send data to the printer just fine. I also cannot check ink levels on the computer, getting the message "information not available."

Faulty cable? Mis-match between router ip adddress and system? IP address changed?

Mike Raub

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »

I'm using a USB connection so no ethernet problems. The printer accepts data and prints just fine from PS5, which has me scratching my head about why the monitor thinks there's no connection and why I can't read ink levels. Maybe the driver isn't fully compatible with OS X Lion. I didn't see anyone else reporting similar problems on the IPF Wiki.

Faulty cable? Mis-match between router ip adddress and system? IP address changed?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up