Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having trouble profile 8300 with Wasatch and i1P / PM5  (Read 16021 times)

aaronchan

Re: Having trouble profile 8300 with Wasatch and i1P / PM5
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:11:32 am »

Ernst,

I agree. I use Q-image for most of my clients right now. Plus it has the ability to rasterize the image out of the driver. But does it have a hot folder for me just like some RIP server could do. This is why I'm trying to use a RIP to reach to this point.

aaron

Tyler,

Thank you, a good summary. Several years ago I made the wrong choice between Wasatch and Ergosoft, though I had both in view. For my own excuse; it was before Studio became available and before N-color printers became that wide spread. I have lost confidence in the Wasatch SoftRip some years back and wrote about that.  There is little chance I will buy another RIP while it could make some plans possible that are hard to achieve with an application like Qiamge and the OEM drivers. You made a good decision without doubt.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware now:
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/six-canvas-wrap-actions.htm

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:54:58 am »

Ernst,

I agree. I use Q-image for most of my clients right now. Plus it has the ability to rasterize the image out of the driver. But does it have a hot folder for me just like some RIP server could do. This is why I'm trying to use a RIP to reach to this point.

aaron

If this is the case, then why not use a RIP that can send RGB data to the printer? Then you can use your media settings in the printer and create a profile for the RIP, similar to what you do with the driver sending from Q-image. Kind off expensive though just for hot folders and maybe not as good a quality as the driver.

aaronchan

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »

Dear Doyle,

What kind of RIP could send RGB data to the printer, which also has a hot folder as well?

p.s. I will need the RIP to drive 3 printers at the same time.

Thanks
Aaron

If this is the case, then why not use a RIP that can send RGB data to the printer? Then you can use your media settings in the printer and create a profile for the RIP, similar to what you do with the driver sending from Q-image. Kind off expensive though just for hot folders and maybe not as good a quality as the driver.

MonsterBaby

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »

well any RIP can do that.

but you mean you want to use your RGB profiles, too.

EFI XF 4.5 can do that

aaronchan

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »

you mean efi colorproof xf?

well any RIP can do that.

but you mean you want to use your RGB profiles, too.

EFI XF 4.5 can do that

MonsterBaby

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »

yup..

colorgate is pretty easy to use, too. and depending on your printer you can use the contone driver. thats pretty much what you want to look for.

if the RIP uses the contone driver this means the printer does the screening and the splitting in the +N channels and the RIP treats the printer as a CMYK or RGB device

ONYX does that as well.

but EFI is, as i recall the only one where you can actually use your standard ICC profile on top of an EFI linerization
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:28:09 pm by MonsterBaby »

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:29 pm »

Ernst, my choice back then had little to do with wisdom, StudioPRint was at the time the perfect tool for utilizing multidensity K inksets, particularly with wide format. Even though I had many years of color management, it was all RGB, I worked into CMYK and then N channel later. It has been a very long road working with this RIP and the various versions since 2003. There were periods when some things didn't work at all, and the interface and user controls are so extensive that there is a huge learning curve to even begin printing.  There are not many I would have recommended it to guilt free. But v14 is working beautifully, wonderful. It was expensive but required for 9900 support, then even more expensive for the postscript version when i1Profiler finally arrive, and big big surprise- only generated N channel charts as postscript files. Imagine my day when I finally discovered that. Monaco Profiler would generate N channel as tiffs with extra alphas, but my brand new long awaited i1Profiler??? Noooooooooo.. IF I start talking Xrite I will need much more excedrin.
Related to some of the other posts in this thread, there are Epson RGB environments that can be set up as well for the x900s with true Epson supplied screening, and HTM environments for older Epsons that use Epson screening but then allow ink channel linerization and limiting for greater control. SO you can do OEM screening but all the production features of a RIP. There are OEM screening drivers for HP and Canon as well.
The vast majority of my RIP experience is with Ergosoft, so my comments on these issues revolve around it. I am not touting it or trying to convince anyone to use it. But any discussions about ink control will necessitate me to be in that context.
I can't do what I do without a RIP, I've done custom inksets this will drive stunningly... like 5 density partitioned Ks, with two color ink spot channels for hue control, and the remaining channel with gloss optimizer as another spot channel... Or wonderful alternative media.. Japanese or gorgeous fine art papers that require very careful ink control. For me all this carries over from the fine print darkroom days.. what paper? Developer? Toner? Addative? etc etc.. or handcoated processes....
There's a lot of amazing things going on outside the mainstream... and some amazing people doing it... quietly.
Tyler
http://www.custom-digital.com/
http://theagnosticprint.org/

Tyler,

Thank you, a good summary. Several years ago I made the wrong choice between Wasatch and Ergosoft, though I had both in view. For my own excuse; it was before Studio became available and before N-color printers became that wide spread. I have lost confidence in the Wasatch SoftRip some years back and wrote about that.  There is little chance I will buy another RIP while it could make some plans possible that are hard to achieve with an application like Qiamge and the OEM drivers. You made a good decision without doubt.

Shareware now:
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/six-canvas-wrap-actions.htm

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 03:40:21 am »

Ernst,

aaron

If you google for - Qimage hotfolder - you will see some requests and ideas on that subject that I wrote to Mike. And somewhere someone had a workaround fir Macs that I did not study enough. Maybe it is time to get the hotfolder theme again on the agenda. One thing that changed since is that the print page can be shrunk in length to the total of images nested on the page, a step needed to make hotfolders work without much paper waste. The hotfolder configurations could be another category in the recall log features or derived from the settings saves there.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up