Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any ideas for a high-quality, pigment ink printer that's not wide-format?  (Read 3545 times)

BarbaraArmstrong

Re: Any ideas for a high-quality, pigment ink printer that's not wide-format?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:10 pm »

This is in response to the questions posed above.  I am not familiar with the Canon printer, so am unable to make any comparisons or comment about its feed path.  I can say, based on my experience with other Epson printers with a full inkset, that I would have no reservations about the quality of the Epson output.  Note that the Canon printer you're talking about utilizes only two blacks (PK plus a lighter black for "gloss" papers, and MK plus the lighter black for matte papers) while the Epson calls on three blacks for either color or b&w work.  This allows for nice subtle toning of lighter shades (at least that is one aspect I have understood to be a benefit of the multiple dilutions).  There is a price difference between the two printers that may factor into your calculations.  Do what you're comfortable with.  I will say that Dan's comments about plowing through ink with any volume of printing are worth their weight in gold.  I might add that I myself set ink load to something more than the default setting (typically 10 percent more on Canson Platine, less on some other papers) having thought this might be a good idea and liking the results.  And then one of this site's esteemed contributors wrote in a lead article that he does the same thing all the time and recommended it as standard practice.  Just food for thought.  --Barbara
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up