Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei Hy6 in Cold weather  (Read 13585 times)

Lacunapratum

Re: Rollei Hy6 in Cold weather
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 08:50:51 pm »

Thanks, Eric.  That might be part of the issue.  What to do about the mirror locked up issue? 

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »

Weather sealing on cameras is much overrated and much a marketing gig (unless for the select few that have to use a camera careless in such conditions). The rest of us take proper care of the camera and use it within its limits.

No, it is not.

The problem is not rain protection, the problem is condensation. There are some shooting situations where it simply cannot be avoided however careful you are.

Cheers,
Bernard

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »

Took mine on a jaunt to the Amazon headwaters, walking through jungles. Nary a problem. of course, had to keep a towel handy to keep the drips off the camera (mostly). Each night it went in a dry bag with desiccant to dry out. I think that's pretty important, especially with several days in 90%+ humidity.

Its also been out in the cold in Chicago as well for New Years day in the wind below 30º as well. But did have a mirror lockup problem once on a shoot and it wouldn't come down at all. I sent it back to the guys in Germany to fix. Alls well now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:16:01 pm by Geoffreyg »
Geoff

Lacunapratum

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 10:56:30 pm »

I guess off to the Fatherland it is then.  $$

Perhaps some bodies better than others.  The problem of condensation and cold weather has been reported elsewhere as well though - even though this time it likely wasn't the reason. 

Thanks, All!

Geoff - we still have to get together.  Now it's April. 

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 04:22:21 am »

No, it is not.

The problem is not rain protection, the problem is condensation. There are some shooting situations where it simply cannot be avoided however careful you are.

Cheers,
Bernard

I would argue that with very good weather sealing it is also more difficult for condensation (humid) to escape from inside camera body... and that the best is to know how to deal with it rather.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 07:16:10 am »

I would argue that with very good weather sealing it is also more difficult for condensation (humid) to escape from inside camera body... and that the best is to know how to deal with it rather.

Ever done snow camping with a camera?

If you have and managed to find a way to prevent condensation I am interested in hearing how you managed.

If you have not... well...

Cheers,
Bernard

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 09:25:20 am »

Ever done snow camping with a camera?

If you have and managed to find a way to prevent condensation I am interested in hearing how you managed.

If you have not... well...

Cheers,
Bernard

Perhaps you should stay Nikon???

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »

Perhaps you should stay Nikon???

Sure, but that is not the point.

The point is about the relevance of advising others about an important purchase decision based on information that you have not validated yourself.

Cheers,
Bernard

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:41 pm »

Um Bernard, since you brought up relevance to the topic and validated personal experience - what information about using Hy6's in the cold do you have to share? You really ought to try one - they're super!
Rolleiflex USA

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »

Um Bernard, since you brought up relevance to the topic and validated personal experience - what information about using Hy6's in the cold do you have to share? You really ought to try one - they're super!

Clearly none and I applogize for having reacted to Anders' DSLRs comments in this MF thread.

Note that I didn't write anything about the Hy6 though. My comments were purely about the importance of proper weather sealing in some situations.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lacunapratum

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »

I agree with Eric in that the Hy6 is a fantastic camera.  Over the years, my Hy6 and other Rolleis (6008i, predecessors) have been just much for sensitive to all sorts of things, be it cold, humidity, frequent use etc..  Looks like Eric is correct with the mirror time-out issue I had last weekend. 

In contrast, my Pentax 645 cameras (645nii, 645D) have been so much more reliable and predictable on all levels. 

However, when comparing perfectly exposed files when everthing is working, the 33mp Dalsa files of the eMotion 75 seem to be so much nicer than the 39mp Pentax 645D files, which are already stunning.  The Hy6 lenses seem to be one part of the equation, but the back is also just really neat. 

Thus, for me, I most often prefer the Pentax 645D for outdoors while the Hy6 seems to be better in the studio.  Just thought I'd share this experience.   

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 11:20:04 pm »

Lacunapratum (sorry I forgot your name)  -  there was a guy who recently had a complete set - something like 13 rollei 6000 series lenses converted to work with the pentax 645D on ebay.  I don't think they sold - but clearly he went to a lot of trouble and expense to take advantage of these with the Pentax 645D.   If you like the rollei glass but want to use pentax outdoors....

Bernard - all ok - and you're right the sealing is an issue for all cameras but certainly also true with the Rollei platform.  It's weakest sealing point is probably the lenses.  Some have an opening window on the top of the barrel to view the aperture setting - this allows both dirt and moisture into the threaded part of the inside for focus adjust - I don't think the dust can get in between the optical elements this way but still its a bit of a bother.  I put tape over mine now when shooting outside in dirty environments.   The worst offenders are the lenses that go through big volume changes during zoom and focusing as this pushes and pulls air in and out of the lens and even cameras.     I had canon 100-400 zoom that was fantastic ...  at getting dust on the sensor.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:27:11 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 11:38:49 pm »

I also saw those Pentax conversions   ;D.  Could have been me, but I have way too much Pentax glass already to do that.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.  Pentax has a great set of telephoto lenses that Rollei can't match.  I guess the only lenses worth adapting would be the 2.8/50mm and 4.5/55mm Super-Angulons, but I'll wait a year or so until Pentax has new zooms in that range. 

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:00 pm »

Probably a lot of us were watching those then.  ;)   But I did sort of cringe thinking about gutting the leaf shutters out of these.

Interesting to read which you'd think worthy of conversion.   I use the schneider 60mm and 90mm probably the most, but also the 40, 50, 110 and 150.    I don't think you'll find a better lens in any of the MF platforms than the schneider 90mm for Rollei.
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:57 am »

Can't resist hijacking the thread for a response  ;D.  Well you are coming from a Rollei perspective and I agree with you on your choices, but I wouldn't be able to single out a Rollei lens which isn't superb.  The 300mm and 150mm Apo-Symmar come to mind as well and the incomparable 180mm. 

I was coming from the Pentax perspective and the only real hole in the system is the focal length range around 45 - 55mm.  Well, I could adapt the P67 55mm permanently.  But in this range Rollei has the 40mm, the 50mm, and the 55mm, and all of them superb, compared to their Pentax counterparts. 

I agree with you on the Curtagen, which is outstanding in Retro position as well.  Great for macro.  I also agree with you on the 90mm Schneider, but Pentax has an almost equally strong 120mm.  If I really need a shorter focal length, there is also a 95mm Printing Nikkor I have adapted for Pentax and a 105mm S-Orthoplanar. 

I guess the second weakness of the Pentax system in terms of lenses is the 110mm Planar equivalent.  Pentax has a fast 150mm/2.8, which is very nice with similar characteristics, but it's boring compared to the 110mm Planar.  I have adapted a WWII 120mm/2 Schneider Goetting Xenon, which is certainly wild, but somewhat less presentable than the Planar  :P

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 01:25:29 am »

Wow sounds like you know your lenses well!   I know nothing of the Pentax lenses but indeed I also use my 60mm curtagon in retro on occasion. 
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 01:39:36 am »

I reciplicate the compliment  ;).  BTW - the 60mm Curtagon can also be hacked on the P645D.  There is one for the elusive Exakta 66 series which can easily be fitted on the Pentax with a P6 adapter.  It is very sharp, but it appears to mess with the P645 light meter from time to time. 

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 05:19:00 am »

It is worthwhile to remind of the OP;

So I was outside today for a quick shoot it was about -16 degree celsius, I got through one roll of film and then couldn't shoot another picture, after changing film the camera kept saying starting app.. and would shut off and on again. the shutter wouldn't go at all. Very weird, I tried changing batteries and removing and replacing the lens, which didn't help at all. Also manually shutting of camera off and on again didn't work. I'm very surprised that such an expensive piece of gear couldn't work in the cold, although I guess the camera is meant for more studio use. Any ideas?

@ Bernard,

The point is about the relevance of advising others about an important purchase decision based on information that you have not validated yourself.

Clearly none and I applogize for having reacted to Anders' DSLRs comments in this MF thread.

Note that I didn't write anything about the Hy6 though. My comments were purely about the importance of proper weather sealing in some situations.

The OP did not request advice for a new camera to purchase.

Your comment "based on information that you have not validated yourself" is false accusation and offensive. Same as you do, I speak of my experience. However I speak of experience from owning and using Hy6 and having owned a number of medium format cameras (which you have not, per memory you only had ZD). Plus Leaf backs which I have owned over nearly five years and find flawless in any condition I have taken them.

Regarding DSLR, I mere hinted that you should perhaps stay with that because that seems what you all over LuLa like to write of (including that stitching technique that shows up in nearly every thread you can remotely write it). I politely do not share your opinion or means.

You asked for advise for your camping in snow... perhaps following (from above) can help, along with simply leaving it in a bag until the camera's temperature is same as outside where you wish to photograph?

Took mine on a jaunt to the Amazon headwaters, walking through jungles. Nary a problem. of course, had to keep a towel handy to keep the drips off the camera (mostly). Each night it went in a dry bag with desiccant to dry out. I think that's pretty important, especially with several days in 90%+ humidity.

Its also been out in the cold in Chicago as well for New Years day in the wind below 30º as well. But did have a mirror lockup problem once on a shoot and it wouldn't come down at all. I sent it back to the guys in Germany to fix. Alls well now.

Your two posts above invited me to write to defend my opinion --- thus to waste my time. I appreciate if we can avoid such and mere stick to facts in future. After all I did reply to you politely with my experience for you in a thread on D800 recent, even though I really do not like or care for DSLRs myself, but I do recognize that everyone do not prefer same tools as I do.

I maintain to all readers that per my experience the key is to maintain gear proper protected and shielded against weather elements and one have none or few problems. If however one need to shoot in extreme conditions to choose a camera wisely, and for medium format then perhaps a mechanical camera such as an Alpa, Cambo and the like, which may well beat a DSLR due to humidity and condensation... Do some research!

Best regards,
Anders

theguywitha645d

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 10:43:34 am »

I also agree with you on the 90mm Schneider, but Pentax has an almost equally strong 120mm.  If I really need a shorter focal length, there is also a 95mm Printing Nikkor I have adapted for Pentax and a 105mm S-Orthoplanar. 

It will be interesting to see how the new 90mm Pentax 645 lens performs. And you will not have to figure out a way to mount it. ;)

Lacunapratum

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 12:44:17 pm »

It'll be awful.  Even more difficult to decide which one to take  8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up