Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX  (Read 50804 times)

dreed

Re: Nikon D800 is outed with pics and specs. 36 MPX
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »

So is this the beginning of the end of medium format?

No.

I'm pretty sure that medium format sensors with more than 80MP area already under development, if not cameras using them.

I'd like to rant here about the purported relationship between pixel size and image quality, especially given the recent story by Mark Dubovonoy but there's already been enough said about that bit of fiction. I'll just say that the IQ180's sensor has a pixel size smaller than that of the 5D Mark II and thus also the 1DX, so clearly both of those cameras must therefore have higher signal to noise than the IQ180 and so on.

There's a constant push for "better" and "more" and this will continue to drive sensor development for the foreseeable future because if you don't then the guy next door will. And why will he? Because it is both a marketing advantage and because customers want more.

A medium format sensor using the same pixel density as the Nikon D800 would be 91MP.

uphillslide

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 02:00:50 pm »

I've been asking around and have looked at many review sites (FM, photozone, SLRgear included). The one's I've come up with are 14-24 2.8, AF-S 50 [1.4 or 1.8], AF-S 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 II VR, and the 200 f2. I have shot canon for 5 years and have pre-ordered a D800e. Canon has two months to release a compelling alternative for me otherwise I think I'll try Nikon. I primarily use a GH2 for day to day now anyway. 5D2 stays in the bag an awful lot.

I'll miss three lenses the most. 24 TS-e, 100 2.8 IS, 70-200 2.8 II IS.

While I've been an avid reader of this site for years, it's apparently my first post.

Regards,
Justin

The big question will be how the existing lineup of Nikon lenses will fair on this body.

Recommendations and opinions of the best choice of lenses up to 200mm would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:09:31 pm by uphillslide »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 02:21:08 pm »

Each camera comes with a coupon for a free box of Adobe Healing Brush Tools.  Because judging from those samples, portrait photographers are going to need them.  The mouse clicking in head-shot salons will be deafening.

Would love to see some examples shot with Zeiss optics but I will probably have to wait for that.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »

Each camera comes with a coupon for a free box of Adobe Healing Brush Tools.  Because judging from those samples, portrait photographers are going to need them.  The mouse clicking in head-shot salons will be deafening.

You should see what even models with pro makeup look like using MF backs, it ain't pretty at 100%....

MrSmith

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 03:05:38 pm »

A medium format sensor using the same pixel density as the Nikon D800 would be 91MP.

so 3x36 is 108 if they could stitch 3 D800 sensors together and build a back for 3x the price of a D800 then i'll certainly give it a lot of thought  ;D

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 03:10:27 pm »

Hi,

I don't think so...

1) I don't think that you can buy D4, yet, so there are probably no D4 owners

2) The D800 spec were known for a very long time (like six moths) so I'd say that the D800 comes as a surprise to no one

My take is really that both Nikon and Canon has found out that most landscape and studio shooters prefer smaller cameras than the 1D and D# series. So the new top models are high frame rate, high ISO and medium resolution.

Obviously, the D800 will kill of the D3X. My guess is that we either won't see a D3X replacement or that it will have 50 MP. Sony has a well performing APS-C sensor in the NEX-7 and  it would scale well to FX format.

Best regards
Erik

Canon shooters have their own glass.  Seems to me it's the D4 owners who will be upset.

Mike.
Erik Kaffehr

BJL

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »

Seems to me it's the D4 owners who will be upset.
In about the same way that the announcement of a hot new Ford pickup would make people regret their recent purchases of Mustangs: these two models have very different strengths and weaknesses. (Not that it affects me directly: photographically, I am more of a Mini driver, looking forward to the news from Olympus tomorrow.)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »

Oh dear... D800 outperform current MF sensors even at low ISO speeds... Nope, nope, nope. Doubtful at best, if not impossible. Sample are very far from it (+1 on plastic, lack detail).

I am not sure what example you are basing you plastic look comment on, but for what it is worth the library image linked to above was shot with the D800, not with the D800E.

As far as lack of detail goes, does it also apply to this image?

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_06_l.jpg

In particular check out the top of the trees in the foreground, this is where the focus is critical (probably focused with live view) and with extremely fine detail. I find this remarkable even if there are some halos apparent in some parts of the image (mostly the strongly back lit left part). The look is of course different from that of AA filtered images, but the micro detail is identical to what I have seen from most backs, with perhaps a bit less artifacts in the D800 image.

Anyway, I'll probably get the D800E and will be interested in a shoot out with a MF back owner based in Tokyo, just for fun.  ;D I would only make sense that a 7 times more expensive S2 wins... but I am pretty sure we will see a draw.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:51:31 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_04_l.jpg

Photographer: Toshiya Hagihara

I wonder if Nikon and Toshiya Hagihara have spotted the dragonfly wings perched on the branch  ;D

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »

As another poster said, the images shown by nikon as samples of the D800 look awful at 1:1. This image for example that comes form the D800E does not look much better at 1:1 in terms of actual pixel quality than the iphone 4s on a good day: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_07_l.jpg

I don't believe the camera is actually that bad and would like to see samples that use proper technique (tripod, proper processing, etc). Some of the images have obvious halos around things like branches as well. Here is an example: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_06_l.jpg

Nikon should take those down and update them with proper files because this is quite embarrassing for a 36mp sensor.

jonathanlung

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 04:21:22 pm »

My current camera, a D300, is due for a replacement. Considering that my computer is just barely keeping up with the output from my D300, a new laptop and hard drives would accompany a D800 purchase for me. The sticker price of a D4 isn't looking bad at all!

seanesopenko

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »

It's pretty exciting for me.  I've been fighting with the fact that the Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED is going for $3000+ on the used market and I've been experiencing a personal dilemma over continuing to shoot film now that I want to phase out my darkroom work.  Not to mention nobody locally does E6 any more, Kodak discontinued 160VC on me, and the Class 11 at Kodak has everything up in the air for Kodak color-neg.  A 36MP sensor without a bayer filter is pretty exciting stuff, even if it's "only" 35mm in size and could be a solution for me for 3+ years.

The challenge I see is the lens lineup from Nikon.  I couldn't purchase any of their wide-angle lenses for use with this sensor and have confidence in my purchases.  The 35mm 1.4 looks pretty good but other than that I'd be left with the Zeiss 21mm and the Zeiss 35mm for lenses that resolve well enough for this sensor.  I'm not a fan of their out-dated perspective control lens.  If Canon were to do something similar and release a 36MP camera (like the old rumors said they would) then I'd have a lot more confidence in knowing there are some good wide angle primes from Canon, some good lenses from Zeiss and the 17mm and 24mm II TS-E lenses are beauties that could mesh well with a high resolution sensor.

Either way I've listed my Mamiya 7II for sale and may have it sold before I go to bed tonight.  That money's earmarked for some sort of digital solution that I've been pondering over for a while.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:33 pm »

I just made some 43 inch high test strips from a few of those .jpg samples.  Very sweet, about 3/4 of the nit-picking objections I could make have to do with the optics or imprecise focus rather than the resolution.

The only print that I would call damned-near-perfect is the geisha shot, which just goes to show that we are getting into cameras that require excellent technique.  Say sayonara to hand holding, because in addition to motion blur, drifting even an inch off-focus can now make a difference when close in.  Optical edge aberrations are the main on-print objection elsewhere.

But even ignoring optical issues it's pretty clear that the high res sensor does bring a lot to print quality especially in terms of smoothness.  To my mind that's the real advantage of big sensors.  Even completely out-of-focus areas look better when they read as being smooth and you can really see it on most of those samples.  Although I must say that in one image the rather extreme aberrations at the extreme corners clearly suffer greatly from being seen in high resolution on a print, and would need to be cropped or painted out.

For most of those images it wouldn't take too much post processing at all to create exhibition quality 30x45's on smooth paper.

edit...and zooms in general are starting to look rather unworthy of such sensors.  It's prime-time for DSLR's.

PS are there any RAW images out there?  And software updates to process them?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:29:46 pm by bill t. »

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »

Good news,however I'll be keeping my D3x for a bit longer.
I don't need bigger files and like the body shape of the D3x.
I also do believe that Nikon will release a D4x in the near future, I'll make up my mind then.
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »

I am not sure what example you are basing you plastic look comment on, but for what it is worth the library image linked to above was shot with the D800, not with the D800E.

As far as lack of detail goes, does it also apply to this image?

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/img/sample02/img_06_l.jpg

In particular check out the top of the trees in the foreground, this is where the focus is critical (probably focused with live view) and with extremely fine detail. I find this remarkable. The look is of course different from that of AA filtered images, but the micro detail is identical to what I have seen from most backs, with perhaps a bit less artifacts in the D800 image.

Lots of what looks to be demosaiced hot pixels though. Here's one example but there are many all over the place.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:38:24 pm by PierreVandevenne »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

Lots of what looks to be demosaiced hot pixels though. Here's one example but there are many all over the place.

Yep but it is hard to tell. There is frost all over the place, that could be it also.

I don't see too many of those on the other samples.

Anyways, we all know that AA filter less images are bound to have many artifacts in them, that has been the case with MF images also and the back owners have mostly not found these to be actual issues.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard ODonovan

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 05:45:51 pm »

To date, Canon have saved their best for the 1 series and pretty much killed every lesser model SLR. They are a bigger company, their marketing department probably demands it, they can afford to make inferior spec'd parts for each lower series camera to separate the line. Even as this site has pointed out switching software off that the marketeers say is not what the lesser model buyer wants or needs.

Nikon being such a poor small company can only afford to give it's SLR Customers the best. Oh poor Nikon, giving those poor Nikon buyers more than they need. I bet the Marketing department at Nikon is under staffed. They must ignore each other at Nikon and just listen to the Customers. Shame on you Nikon.  :P

LKaven

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 07:21:44 pm »

The challenge I see is the lens lineup from Nikon.  I couldn't purchase any of their wide-angle lenses for use with this sensor and have confidence in my purchases.

Are you including the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8g in that list?  Look at the D800 sample shot in the library, for example.  This lens is sharp from corner to corner, even wide open.  I've only seen one lens that even comes close to it. 

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon_14_24mm_1/nikon14_24mm_a.html

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »

Are you including the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8g in that list?  Look at the D800 sample shot in the library, for example.  This lens is sharp from corner to corner, even wide open.  I've only seen one lens that even comes close to it. 

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon_14_24mm_1/nikon14_24mm_a.html

Indeed, the 14-24 f2.8 will have zero problem with the D800. It was designed from scratch to be able to deal with this level of resolution down to the very corners. This lens is without doubt one of the strongest assets of the Nikon system and Canon has not been able to replicate it yet more than 4 years after its release. Many EOS users are going through the trouble of using an F mount adapter so as to be able to shoot with the 14-24 f2.8.

The only wide angle lens coming close is the Zeiss 21mm f2.8. For the rest the 14-24 f2.8 is in a class of its own. It does cover the 35 mm format far better than the fixed focal length Hassy and Phaseone 28mm f4.0 cover their respective formats. I don't know about the Pentax and Leica equivalents that are said to be excellent, but of course are far from being as wide and are fixed focal lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up