Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Added a second printer  (Read 1462 times)

KeithR

Added a second printer
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »

Took delivery of a used 4800. This is a second 4800 printer and will be used to set up piezography inks. After I unpacked it, installed the carts, plugged it in and turned it on I attempted to run a nozzle check. Since I already had a 4800 connected(but not turned on) I wanted to make sure the computer saw the printer(it did and listed it as 4800 copy 1) I then went Utilities to run the
nozzle check. The Utility showed me the ink levels(all carts were being read and displayed). I went to run the nozzle check and nothing. Did I miss something?
Since I already had a 4800, the software drivers had already been installed.
Right now I'm stumped!
I'm running win7-64, the connection is usb. Since the computer sees the printer, I have to assume that the port and usb cord is good. Do I need to re add the printer since the drivers(for the 1st printer) are already installed and the computer sees it? Under Devices & Printers I selected(one at a time) each printer>Printer Properties>Ports and the fist printer is listed next to USB001 and the second is listed next to USB003.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Farmer

Re: Added a second printer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:42:00 pm »

Firstly, just try rebooting now that it's been installed (if you haven't already).  Otherwise, try a reinstall of the LFP Remote Panel / Status Monitor software and it should update and realise there's a second printer there.
Phil Brown

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:59 pm »

I've had the printer and computer on and off in the morning and again when I returned home this afternoon. Same results. Where would I find the LFP Remote Panel/Status Monitor software. The used 4800(the one I'm having trouble with) came with no software, but I do have the original cd that came with my original 4800. Inever did have much luck with the LFP so, even though it's on the desktop, I've never used it. All nozzle checks and head cleanings have been through either PS or Windows.
Two things. First(and I don't know if it means anything) when I power up the 2nd(used) printer, on the LCD just to the left of the ink level indicators, is a "1". I'm assuming that is because it is Copy 1. Secondly, I sent the problem to Epson support and this was their reply:

"We have seen this issue occur on other systems that are sharing Epson printers. For some reason the status monitors conflict and we are unable to run the utility on one of the models.
We can recommend connecting one of the printer with either an ethernet connection or firewire. However, please be advised that this may not resolve the issue."

Not very encouraging to suggest using something they state is not compatable(firewire) or that it is a known issue(and must have been for quite a while) and they choose to not provide a solutiuon.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »

Just do a driver reinstall with both printers connected (get the latest driver from your local Epson website).  That said, if they both have a network port that would be a better way of managing it, but if not, you can still run both of them via USB.
Phil Brown

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:38:44 am »

Just do a driver reinstall with both printers connected (get the latest driver from your local Epson website).  That said, if they both have a network port that would be a better way of managing it, but if not, you can still run both of them via USB.
Would I need to uninstall the drivers first/ Have never dealt with network connections so I don't know what would be involved. I downloaded the newest driver from Epson along with a few others that might be useful. Those having to do with  a firmware update(don't know how useful that would be-given what it does), Status monitor, and Remote Panel. Other than the printer driver, the rest are for XP/Vista 64 and came out before Win 7 came out. For now all these are in a folder on the desktop as I won't be able to do anything until later tonight.

SangRaal

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »

You should uninstall the drivers but you don't need to the second instal will show as 4800 2 or some other distinguishing name when you open your Pinter and devices utility in windows 7/64 when you print you will have to pick which driver you want to use. With a 4880 I didn't want to get rid of my old drivers for new versions till I knew that the new driver would work(after a bad experience).

KeithR

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:52:32 pm »

SUCCESS!!! After emailing Epson(numerous times) and getting less than zero help(this is a known problem, use firewire, is the port or cable good?, etc.) I was able to call the Epson tech support and within 5 minutes the printer was behaving as it should and handled through the computer. Ran a nozzle check and even that was perfect! Turns out the previous owner connected via Ethernet and that the port options where selected for that. Once I told the tech that I pulled the card out he knew exactly what the problem was.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:11:33 pm »

Well, yes, if we'd know it was previously connected via ethernet that would have helped :-)

Glad that you're up and running.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up