Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New pentax mirrorless APS-C  (Read 5772 times)

TCSJordan

Re: New pentax mirrorless APS-C
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »

I just shot this hands-on video about the camera.  I think some of it, especially about the flange distance will be interesting for you guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-lSQlvqFKs

scooby70

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »

scooby, the point is that they didn't make it smaller and lighter and by sticking with the k-mount it is pretty much limited to k-mount lenses.  lose lose

I took the initial "i'm having trouble understanding what taking the mirror out of a dslr body brings to the party" as a general question rather than one specific to this make and model but talking specifically this make and model ... it may still be a little smaller and lighter than a DSLR, plus it allows Pentax to hop on the mirrorless bandwagon and there is always that lack of mirror slap. Whatever, it won't be on my wish list :)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: New pentax mirrorless: focus peaking! no EVF?
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 07:08:37 pm »

Hi,

Just as a side note, I prefer an electronic viewfinder to the LCD screen, at least in theory. But I have noticed that once I have the camera on tripod I more often use the sviveling LCD on the back of the camera with live view. My main camera lacks live view and I miss it.

Best regards
Erik

For a positive spin to balance the inevitable flood of internet skepticism, it has focus-peaking to support manual focus.

But no EVF or OVF, despite being rather bulky as non-SLRs go. So a question: with the problem of bright light on the rear screen, to what extent does the combination of highly visible cues from focus-peaking for manual focusing plus being able to somewhat make out the framing in the LCD mitigate the absence of any "peep-hole" VF, either OVF or EVF?

Pentax again seems dedicated to its long tradition of backward compatibility for its SLR users, by staying with K-mount. I predict that both Pentax and Sony will leave the traditional digital SLR market soon, leaving the SLR market to Canon and Nikon [oh, and Mamiya and Hasselblad!], and with the remaining SLR product lines moving upscale, away from consumer level offerings.
Erik Kaffehr

scooby70

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 07:15:44 pm »

I am starting to wonder about these "mirror-less" cameras. I don't see much advantage over an enthusiasts DSLR. There are two advantages I see from removing the mirror: smaller/lighter camera and no shake from mirror slap. But neither of these is enough for me to consider the new format. UNLESS, the camera is much smaller (think compact size). This camera is certainly not very small. I just don't see the benefit.

As a general type I'm a bit of a fan of mirrorless. I have a GF1 and a G1 and of the two the G1 gets the most use. I use a manual lens with it and focusing is a doddle with the magnified view. That's something I never had with a rangefinder. Because of the VF gain I can shoot in much lower light than I can with a DSLR and in situations where I can't AF with a DSLR and a f1.4 or even see enough detail to focus manually and have to revert to zone focusing I can manually focus with my G1 (it only really loses out to an OVF in near total darkness, in just very poor light it's better than an OVF) plus in challenging lighting conditions I can have an in view histogram so there's a few real advantages for me... low light manual focus, magnified view, no mirror slap enabling the use of low shutter speeds and an in view histogram.

If I want maximum IQ on a dedicated photography shoot or day out I'll probable use my 5D but if weight or bulk is an issue or I don't want to use anything as conspicuous as a DSLR (such as a couple of recent trips to Kazakhstan) I'll probably use MFT.

As a general type I think that mirrorless cameras do have their advantages, but this Pentax doesn't appeal to me.

zombywoof

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

i'm having trouble understanding what taking the mirror out of a dslr body brings to the party

You're not the only one:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2143551/pentax-unveils-compact-01-mirrorless-camera#ixzz1lHWyEPfd

BJP: But how are you going to convince people that have a DSLR camera to go with something that is almost similar in size to a DSLR?
Jonathan Martin: Well, it's whether they want to go with mirrorless features rather than a traditional DSLR.

BJP: What are these mirrorless features that you don't find in a DSLR?
Jonathan Martin: ... design, really. Design.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 04:34:42 am »

Indeed this first offering from Ricoh-Pentax seems a bit odd... On one side, Pentax has wondeful pancake lenses, so they are "mature" enough to make the most out of a mirrorless system. On the other hand, in order to use these lenses, and to keep a big APS-C sensor, they could not shrink the camera by that much.

So... for those with a K5 and a few pancakes, I think the attractiveness of the new camera will be minial; since a K5 with pancakes is already quite small. Seems the target will be people looking at entry level DSLRs?

It will be interesting to see when Ricoh will come up with a GXR module for a K mount.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:53 am »

You're not the only one:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2143551/pentax-unveils-compact-01-mirrorless-camera#ixzz1lHWyEPfd

BJP: But how are you going to convince people that have a DSLR camera to go with something that is almost similar in size to a DSLR?
Jonathan Martin: Well, it's whether they want to go with mirrorless features rather than a traditional DSLR.

BJP: What are these mirrorless features that you don't find in a DSLR?
Jonathan Martin: ... design, really. Design.

Design? Design?! Most of us don't give a rip about design. Design doesn't make for better photographs. (of course I am talking about design in terms the appearance of the camera) If that is the only difference with this camera from a dslr, I may as well stay with my dslr. Some of the Panasonic, Olympus, and Sony offerings are intriguing but not this Pentax. I think the new Canon G1-X (or whatever order those letters/numbers go in) is the closest to what I am looking for (except perhaps the lens).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:02:19 pm by JonathanRimmel »

BJL

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 11:44:36 am »

... in order to use these lenses, and to keep a big APS-C sensor, they could not shrink the camera by that much.
The design could have shrunk the body depth substantially by adopting a new shallower lens mount and offering a matching K-mount lens adaptor, designed so that the body+adapter combo looks "balanced". A 10mm pancake on a 46mm deep lens mount gives as much depth as a 36mm deep lens on the 20mm mount that could have been used, so a new thinner mount plus pancakes would work far better for pancake fans, and that 36mm is enough depth for a collapsing zoom lens.

Note: the K-mount is already far deeper than necessary for APS-C SLR lenses; it is a hangover from 35mm film format, and even there, about 42mm depth is enough.
Putting pancake lenses on a 46mm deep APS-C format lens mount is like putting artificial sweetener in cheese cake and calling it diet food.

P. S. I entered this thread trying to be positive, but the last straw was the BJP interview.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:49:02 am by BJL »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

Hi,

My view: Sans Mirror OK! Sans VF not OK!

Best regards
Erik

Interesting announcement from Pentax.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/02/Pentax_K-01_announcement

As predicted, their tiny mirrorless offering was just part of a larger strategic plan to go mirrorless and focused on differentiation.

What if other brands did something similar? :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up