Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Epson 7900 from the inside - out

<< < (286/306) > >>

davidh202:
I wouldn't keep a woman as beautiful, waiting too long for a print   I would also be shooting more of her and less landscapes;)

David

rvestal:
Wow, three days to read all 72 pages.....Massive effort for all who contributed, especially Eric.. What you have accomplished is nothing short of amazing.

I don't (yet) have a head clogging issue, but I may have a head replacement issue.  Thought I would post here so you would know the updated pricing from D1.

I've got a 5 year old 7900 and this weekend it started displaying a "Call for Service - Error Code 1A37" message.  According to the service manual, 1A37 is a thermistor sensor error on the print head.  Options are re-seat print head cables on main board and/or print head, replace main board or replace print head.

The estimate from D1, as of yesterday (13 Aug):

Call Out $100
   Hourly Rate: $175, with a one hour minimum

Main Board $495, plus labor
   Print head  $1,623, plus labor

Pretty steep; especially when I can get a new 7900 from B&H for $2,699, free shipping and no tax until the end of the month.

I'm leaning toward a new printer, but thought the group might be interested in the current pricing from D1 for out of warranty service.

PS:  If any one has experience with B&H's shipping of these printers could you comment?

Thanks. Randy

dgberg:
$175 an hour.  ???
What ever happened to the normal contractor pricing of 3 times the technicians hourly salary. (I am a contractor and that is how it is done around here.)
The tech might be making $30 to $40 an hour I doubt more. That comes to maybe $120.00 an hour.
I guess it's called no competition.
I called D1 when my 9900 was out of warranty just for some rate information and the conversation became somewhat contensious when I started drilling her on justifying their pricing.
We can only charge a little over double our craftsman hourly rate hear in se Pennsylvania. $45.00 an hour in our cabinet shop and this is the kind of craftsmanship you get for that money.
 We tried several times raising our hourly rate to $50.00 an hour and lost over 50% of the quotes. But then again we are in the middle of the Amish heartland.
Guess I am just in the wrong business.

Emma Brackett:
I'm having the exact same problem, I've been trying to fix for a week. Eric, how did you solve this problem!? I'm on a deadline, I'm dying of frustration and wasting so much ink... your response would make me over joyed.

DanielH:
Just came to say that after nearly 6 months of research (and mostly waiting on epson to figure out how to manufacture enough printheads for their customers) I have successfully revived 3 printers (2-7890's, 1-9890) by replacing the printheads using this thread/ community and Eric's awesome video over at myx900.com 

So, Eric, HUGE thanks to you, Steve, and the community here for helping me along and demystifying these machines. 

I am now moving on to my 11880 which died today.  And after removing the head and cleaning I went from only missing 2 colors in nozzle check  to having none...Huzzah!! A new challenge...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version