Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rental Cars  (Read 4606 times)

Graham Welland

Rental Cars
« on: July 23, 2004, 04:37:48 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Why not just remove the lighter itself? This seems like a dumb way to do it![/font]
Graham

Peter McLennan

Rental Cars
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 10:55:19 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I read a news item recently about a guy who was  billed several thousand dollars extra for "travel to a forbidden place", namely Death Valley.

The rental company had a GPS tracking device aboard, something they neglected to tell the customer.

It's just no fun any more.  : )

Peter[/font]

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Rental Cars
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 11:42:40 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I remember when reserving a SUV for the Vegas area, I was told specifically that it wasn't covered for gravel roads, not "off-road" but real highways that were gravel [/font]

Peter McLennan

Rental Cars
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 08:06:44 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I don't have any more hard info other than:

1) I believe the rental company was in the Bay Area and wasn't a major.  You could search local newspaper DB's for more info.

2) The real bone of contention was the fact that the rental co. didn't inform the renter of the GPS tracker, nor did they point out in the contrac's fine print that DV was forbidden.

I'd ask the rental outfit a few pointed questions before plunking down my card or disobeying the rules.

regards,

Peter[/font]

stealththinker

Rental Cars
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 04:49:02 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Second, when I rented a car on the Big Island of Hawaii in April (2004) we were told right up front that the car was equipped with GPS, and if we drove it on any of the no-rental-car roads on the island, we would get billed for it. I can't remember which agency it was, but I can find out.[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']Interesting ... I frequently visit the islands, but I was never told about the GPS thing. I use Hertz. Those people behind the counter always reminded me about "off-limits" roads. But also quite a few have privately advised me on how to navigate around those off limits. Last time I was on the big island and I drove down the Road to The Sea all the way to the black sand beach and went further to the near by the green sand beach. For those of you haven't been there I can tell you that this is probably the most challenged "road" on the island with nothing but lava and rock. The Explorer I took had 7 on its odometer and when I returned it nobody at the shop even blinked ...[/font]

Sheldon N

Rental Cars
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 08:55:18 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Just a quick note from someone who's in the insurance business and has seen quite a few rental car claims...

When you sign on the dotted line at the rental company, you are assuming responsibility for all damages that happen to the car while in your posession. Luckily, virtually all personal auto insurance policies provide the same coverage you have on your cars (collsion or comprehensive) for a rental car that you're driving.

What I can say is that I've seen rental car companies be sticklers about what they would consider "damage" that happened to the car while it was being rented. Door dings, scuffs or scratches on the paint from who knows where, rock chips to windshields, even things that are clearly not the fault of the renter like a hit & run in a parking lot. To make it worse, the rental companies also like to charge for damage processing fees and loss of rental income (which insurance companies don't like to pay for).

Anyhow, your best protection is to check the car thoroughly before renting and when checking it back in to make sure you know whether damage happened while you had the car or if Johnny the 18 year old rental employee backed it into a post in the rental lot just after you left!

I could also see how driving a rental car on gravel roads could lead to a $2,000 bill to repaint the car from all the minute rock chips. Not to say I wouldn't do it myself, maybe I'd just drive slow!

Hope this is a helpful warning to some!

Sheldon[/font]
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Hank

Rental Cars
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 05:25:45 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I think the biggest problem comes in the definition of "gravel."  In the construction trades you can buy the stuff in almost any size you want, and to spec.  And an awful lot of "gravel" roads haven't seen an additional load of spec gravel in the 30 years since they were built.  All boulders and ruts, yet still a "gravel" road.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen rental sedans on the Shafer Trail in Canyonlands, often going UP it!  I take it slow in my well-equipped 4WD truck and these guys barrel by me, in the apparent belief that if you go faster it smooths out the bumps.  That may be true, but shocks and other suspension elements really take a beating, even if there's not a chip in the paint.[/font]

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
Rental Cars
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 02:33:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']If you need DC power in your rental car, check it out before you drive off.

I went to Houston recently and was shocked to discover I couldn't use the DC plug-in power from my Alamo rental car. No battery charger for my photo equipment, laptop, GPS, cell phone external speaker, etc. Alamo's policy (at least at Houston Intercontinental Airport) is to disconnect the power outlets ("cigar lighter") on their cars, "to deter people from smoking."[/font]

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Rental Cars
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 09:49:01 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Another vote for dumb, someone who wants to smoke is going to smoke and the lack of in-dash lighter isn't going to stop them - just pixx them off.  But thanks for the heads up, when I reserve a car (I usually use Avis) I'll ask.[/font]

GordonMcGregor

Rental Cars
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 11:33:54 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I read a news item recently about a guy who was  billed several thousand dollars extra for "travel to a forbidden place", namely Death Valley.

The rental company had a GPS tracking device aboard, something they neglected to tell the customer.

It's just no fun any more.  : )

Peter[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']Do you happen to have any more info on this ?   I'm about to rent a car to drive to Death Valley...[/font]

stealththinker

Rental Cars
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 02:45:10 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I read about a case years ago about the rental car company fined a customer for speeding because the in car GPS reported it. They lost the case not because of not having jurisdiction over traffic laws, but because of invasion of privacy. I think this guy needs to sue ... The most popular "forbidden road" in DV is probably the 27 mile washboard drive to Race Track. I have driven it a couple of times in rental cars and I'm sure 99% of people do too. They would be heck of more fines if they really wanted to enforce the policy. That dude might just got lucky ...[/font]

Hank

Rental Cars
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 08:49:44 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']From a friend at one car rental agency:

Do you know the difference between a rental car and a 4WD?  The rental car will go ANYWHERE!

There are horror stories about what folks have done to rental cars, and sad to say, the rest of us once again pay the price for idiots.[/font]

andyfrazer

Rental Cars
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 04:33:47 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'd like to add two points to this discussion:

First, I remember reading earlier this year that something like 25% of all rental cars in the US include on-board GPS, mainly for theft recovery.  I'll try to find the article...

Second, when I rented a car on the Big Island of Hawaii in April (2004) we were told right up front that the car was equipped with GPS, and if we drove it on any of the no-rental-car roads on the island, we would get billed for it. I can't remember which agency it was, but I can find out.

Andy Frazer
Andy's Night Photography[/font]

didger

Rental Cars
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 06:35:45 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
Do you know the difference between a rental car and a 4WD?  The rental car will go ANYWHERE!
Yeah, I know a guy that once rented a car specifically to see just how much he could trash it by driving it on a really really bad road.  He managed to trash it quite nicely and he got away with it.

I know plenty of definitely true nightmare stories around here of chronic welfare/alcohol/drug abuse type folks who will get one person cleaned up a bit for a house rental interview and once they're in the landlord never sees another $ and it takes months and some expensive legal B.S. to get these folks evicted, and by that time there's usually a few thousand $'s worth of damages.

I would hate to be in the landlord or the car rental business.  It's too bad that the "legitimate" folks have to pay for the abuses, but what can the house and car owners do?[/font]

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Rental Cars
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 09:33:07 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I feel the need to add a couple of observations about gravel roads from my personal experience. I have been competing in navigational road rallysport for well over 15 years in both my own cars and in others' vehicles. The rallies we enter are almost entirely held on gravel roads. I am not talking about off-road 4WD trails but regularly used roads that happen not to be paved. I have NEVER had any damage to any of the vehicles except for one flat about 12 years that was attributed to sharp rocks encountered in a corner. All of the body damage I have sufferred, other than parking lot dings, were from debris on highways, where a little pebble can do a lot of damage when you're travelling at 120 kph. I cannot understand where the paranoia about gravel roads comes from.

I have also acted in an official capacity at many Ontario semi-pro performance rallies that are normally held on rougher roads, eg Ministry forestry roads or private logging roads. Marshals have to drive down those roads before the competitors come through and then back out again once the competitors are done. I have never had any damage doing that either.

Friends of mine have rented cars and trucks in places like Alaska and the Yukon and were told by the rental companies not to use gravel roads. That always seemed silly to me because if you stick to pavement-only roads up there you won't see much. It would ruin the trip for me.

I can understand being obliged to PAY for any damage incurred on a gravel road, assuming you were able to incur some, but to penalize you for simply having gone there, even though you DID NOT damage the vehicle, seems absurd. It could mean that you could never drive yourself to a wilderness park campground, for instance. I wonder how soon my insurance company starts telling me where I am allowed to drive my own personal vehicle, nevermind a rental.[/font]
--
Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up