Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas: Breathing Color Lyve vs Lexjet Select Sunset Matte  (Read 11672 times)

Johnny_Boy

Re: Canvas: Breathing Color Lyve vs Lexjet Select Sunset Matte
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 06:08:33 pm »

Hey Bill, thanks for that tip on sizing and pricing. As I am starting my new business, that would help me to ballpark starting point to adjust from.

I love that image. I bet it looks impressive in large sizes.

BTW, where would you buy this polystyrene moulding (are these like Styrofoam?)? Any of the wholesale moudling place would carry those? I signed up for a whoesale account locally, so I am going to check polystyrene moudlings out.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:51 pm »

You need to go to the West Coast Art & Framing Show at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas.  Every major framing supplier will be there, including the moulding manufacturers and distributors.  Universal, Omega, MyMoulding, TenPlus, Chelsea, Delta, and many other moulding distributors will be showing lots of poly moulding, in addition to their normal lines.  Every year we see more poly being featured.

http://www.wcafshow.com

The trade show runs Jan 30 to Feb 1.  You can also sign up for classes in basic and advanced framing topics, but it's getting late.

But please do not order any moulding based on website images or pictures in catalogs.  You can be unhappily surprised.  Always call up and ask for a "chip" which a 6 inch section, or for a corner sample.  If I'm in a hurry and a new moulding looks hot, I will sometimes order "three sticks cut in half" which gives me enough to make 2, 4 foot wide panoramic ratio frames for evaluation and customer comments.  And I make a point of asking for "current stock" because every time a new batch of any type of moulding is run, there are often big changes, and I just got bit hard by that a few months ago.  So the wise thing is never order box quantities (boxes contain 70 to 180 feet) until you see a current sample, and your first box orders of a new style should only be for 2 or 3 boxes until you see how well the boxes are packed and how well your customers like it, and how easy it is to work with.

I could go on, and on.  You will find stuff online that merrily tells you that poly can be cut and joined just like regular wood moulding.  That is total BS!  Poly is a whole different beast than wood and you need to treat it as such or your frames will fall apart in very short order, although a properly made poly frame is as strong as wood and much longer lasting.

Which leads me suggest that you check out the major US framing forum for more info on joining poly.  Some of it even makes sense.  Just remember framers are often quite resistant to poly for many reasons not necessarily relating to the material itself.  Let your happy customers be the ones to pass judgement.

http://thegumble.com

And to your question, poly has a bubbly, finely-foamed interior that is much harder and denser than styrofoam.  It varies a lot.  Usually there is a plastic veneer applied over that which gives the moulding its appearance.  A few of the veneers look subtle and elegant, but most look like shiny plastic.  Be discerning and make careful choices, that's the key.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 01:23:07 pm »

What is the rough cost range for enough polystyrene moluding to make a roughly 2’x 6’ by 2” or 3” frame, based on whatever quantity you typically buy?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 01:30:53 pm »

$200 to $500 is the sweet spot for smallish pieces, up to something like 3 to 4 feet wide.  I like to exploit the "sofa sized" niche in the 6 to 8 foot wide range.  The blow-em-out-the-door sweet spot for that size is $600 to $1200.  The fab costs for larger pieces is often a lesser proportion of the sales price than for smaller ones.

The same cost ranges are true in this area, but the gallery owners who I've worked with say the price rather than size drives the sale. One of them says she doesn’t make a lot of $600 sales.

BTW, 36 x 80 is a great size if you can hit it.  Doesn't overwhelm small sofas, but still looks ok with big ones.  And it's BIG and IMPRESSIVE!  People just love to be complimented on their art pieces.

So far my biggest are 30” x 78, including the frame. If I can sell a few more bigger prints I’ll pony up for a bigger printer, and then wonder WTH I'm gonna put it…

Here's a best selling 8 footer.

Beautiful! I'm gonna have to do more interiors. In that scale they really kick!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up