Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Clean" HDMI output from Sony Nex 7  (Read 22971 times)

silverriver

• http://
'Clean" HDMI output from Sony Nex 7
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:31:32 am »

Does anybody know if the Sony Nex 7 has a 'clean' HDMI output?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: 'Clean" HDMI output from Sony Nex 7
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:43 pm »

Does anybody know if the Sony Nex 7 has a 'clean' HDMI output?

I believe that the only dslr with this capability off the shelve at the moment is the soon to be available D4.

Cheers,
Bernard

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:39:58 am »

The NEX 7's HDMI signal is "clean" if you mean can it have on-screen info removed.

I haven't recorded it yet though, since I don't as yet have an external recorder here in Mexico. I will have a Hyperdeck Shuttle coming in a few days though and will let you know once I do.

Michael

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:57:15 pm »

The NEX 7's HDMI signal is "clean" if you mean can it have on-screen info removed.

I thought clean meant uncompressed?

Cheers,
Bernard

silverriver

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:05 am »

Michael...Any reason you are getting a Hyperdeck Shuttle?
What are your opinions on the Atomos 'Ninja?
Thanks..Keith

michael

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17:48 am »

Clean can mean both. Some cameras can't output a video signal via HDMI without graphic and text overlays. Others can, but the signal is castrated, with reduced bandwidth, resolution etc.

As for why the Hyperdeck... I now have a Sony NEX FS100, which can output uncompressed 4:2:2. The IQ from the camera's AVCHD2 codec is very good indeed, but for some things (such as heavy grading) and greenscreen work the Hyperdeck allows for totally uncompressed output at 1,020 Mbps. This is vs the 24Mbps of AVCHD. The downside is that the data rate is horrendous... 10GB per minute.

I'll be writing this all up in a series of articles later this winter and spring.

Michael

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35:49 am »

Clean can mean both. Some cameras can't output a video signal via HDMI without graphic and text overlays. Others can, but the signal is castrated, with reduced bandwidth, resolution etc.

As for why the Hyperdeck... I now have a Sony NEX FS100, which can output uncompressed 4:2:2. The IQ from the camera's AVCHD2 codec is very good indeed, but for some things (such as heavy grading) and greenscreen work the Hyperdeck allows for totally uncompressed output at 1,020 Mbps. This is vs the 24Mbps of AVCHD. The downside is that the data rate is horrendous... 10GB per minute.

I'll be writing this all up in a series of articles later this winter and spring.

Michael

10 GB per minute...pfff, that's where the burden is.

I'm also into the process of testing as soon as I can the hacked GH2 HDMI output with the NINJA also 4.2.2 and the file size is a dilema.

All the storage system has to be actualized to high-end standards and I'm doing the numbers and they raise at the speed of light because I don't see anything but a server solution. I asked "my" tech about the costs and it doesn't make me smile at all, but that's actually the cost of motion when done "the way it should".

Honestly, at those values, RED raw files are extremely friendly user and even if uncompressed 4.2.2 at those bitrate is going to be a solid footage for post, I hardly doubt it can compeat with 4K raw video that ocupates less space and will be much more flexible in post. (without talking about the hability to crop and downsizing from 4K to 1080)

But it would allow anyway those incredibly good minicams to be usable in high-end imagery in post.

But Red 's got it IMO.

Cooter was right when he was saying that there are false economies. (and the same dilema will be true with the D4 etc...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:04:37 pm by fredjeang »

silverriver

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:14 am »

I am going for the Ninja as I like the option
of SSD or standard laptop hard drives...also
the LCD screen and being able to use the Apple
Pro Res Codec. Choice of being able to record
at 3 quality levels is handy for me also.
It will be used mainly with a Nikon D4 (due to me late Feb?)
..but if my long delayed (now April!) Sony Nex 7 can output
clean and preferably uncompressed images..all the better!
I look forward to reading your articles on this subject.
Slán..K

PS..Great video from Joe McNally using the D4..
http://youtu.be/mpo5AC-wETY

michael

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:06:47 pm »

The new Promise 4T Raid 0 using Thunderbolt works just fine for this application as far as my sources tell me. I have one of those coming as well.

Michael

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »

Yeah, and there are reasonably priced, almost 500 euros for the 4t.

If you got 4T, at 10gb - min and you're minimally active it won't last very very long. Then another 500.

But I agree that this solution is a flexible one because we only pay what we need.

Thank you to have put it in my radar.

atomo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 12:20:46 am »

Any update on your experience with the NEX-7 with a HyperDeck? I just got the HyperDeck but am currently shopping for a camera. The Panasonic GH2 is on the top of the list, but I may be able to share lenses with another NEX system user if I get a NEX camera. If I can get clean, full-res HDMI output on the NEX-7, I would get that instead.

thanks,
Atomo

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »

No clean HDMI...and I suggest waiting till Photokina for the GH3.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

atomo

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »

Thanks for the info about the NEX-7. Funny too, that I was just reading about the GH3 showing up at Photokina. Sounds like Sony may have a few goodies there as well.

cheers!

videohead

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:24 am »

Just a point of clarification that 1080P SMPTE 372M is 2.97Gbps not 10Gbps
You'd need a fiber channel SAN with a considerable array of solid state media to capture a 10Gbps stream, but 2.97Gbps is manageable with advanced desktop hardware.
SMPTE 259M is only 1.44Gbps, manageable with a single SSD disk or RAID 5 SATA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up