Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nokia to release a 41 mp camera...in a mobile phone?  (Read 2734 times)

Mr. Rib

Nokia to release a 41 mp camera...in a mobile phone?
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:11 am »

I really don't know what to think of this..

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/nokia-announces-808-pureview-belle-os-4-inch-display-41-megap/

another MFDB killer! ;)

But seriously, does anyone think this will be actually usable as something more than a gadget?

donaldt

Re: Nokia to release a 41 mp camera...in a mobile phone?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:47 am »

I wonder how this thing processes 40mp of data

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »

It definitely seems like a worthwhile piece of technology to me. But it certainly won't affect the D800! It isn't really 41 megapixels. But how it uses those pixels is quite unique. It may be a great camera phone.

ctz

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »

haha,
markymark, please, stop it!
 :D :D :D

Mr. Rib

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »

Just so that the duscussion doesn't derail to unwanted territories, I don't think this is a D800 killer and I don't think D800 is a MFDB killer. What I strongly believe in is that the cameras are not predators, just herbivorous calm mammals. And the big question is- what changed the technology that is allowing this camera to pack 40 mp to a small sensor? Did the boundaries of marketing foolishness took another step to absurd or did actually something happen which makes these 40 mp justifiable?

gwhitf

BJL

Re: Nokia to release a 41 mp camera... With 1/1.2" sensor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »

Nokia has some good information in a whitepaper --  see link in one of the many other 808 threads. The short story seems to be that there is no big problem putting standard phone-camera sized 1.4 micron pixels on a far bigger 1/1.2" sensor -- the challenge is processing speed, like handling over a billion pixels per second in video mode. For that, Nokia had to wait for processing speed (and its partner Toshiba) to deliver a custom chip that handles the downsampling before the signal goes on to the usual image processing chip.

Then again, I have been saying for years that it is mainly processing speed limits, and the need for adequately high frame rates, that has been the main limit on pixel counts, not per pixel technical data like engineering dynamic range. This sensor will put that idea to an extreme test, when compared to 10mp premium compact cameras like the Panasonic lx5 or Canon G12, which have far bigger photosites but distinctly smaller sensors.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:17:38 pm by BJL »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:58 pm »

Hi,

ASIC. Phone camera makers are good at ASICs.

40 MP is not that impressive at all. Sony Alpha 77 shoots twelve 24 MP images per second, although admittedly in a much bigger package.

All digital cameras have ASICs, mostly with funny names like Byonz, DIGIC4 etc.

Best regards
Erik

I wonder how this thing processes 40mp of data
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up