Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Epson 7890 be tilted  (Read 2758 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Can Epson 7890 be tilted
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:58:59 pm »

I have an Epson 7600, and want to upgrade to a 7890  to take advantage of the $500 rebate. I live in a small condo. I made a fome board template of the footprint (54"x27"). It will fit in the space where I will put it, but getting around corners and down a bending narrow hallway will not work, unless I tilt the printer either front to back or side to side. If the shipping hardware is left on, can the printer be tilted? Can it be tilted to fit on a hand truck? I assume the printer comes on a skid with the stand seperate, is this correct?
Thanks in advance
Dave G

davidh202

Re: Can Epson 7890 be tilted
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »

Somewhat.
The Crate and pallette is way to big, it is best to put together the stand, and the printer body removed from the packing(styrofoam) and maneuvered by two or even three strong people ! and set on the stand as per instructions.You can use a flat dolly with the printer horizontal for distance but I would advise strongly against standing it on end on a hand truck!You should be able to maneuver it ok
Comes complete with set up instructions .

Check out these videos from DTG on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2OCerp4nrI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL3734822A19FCFA05

this is what your up against
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:29:08 pm by davidh202 »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:07:59 am »

We have on several occasions received a 9900 printer where the delivery service did not provide a lift gate.  Our only option is to literally stand the printer on it's end, while still in the original packaging with all the bands in place..  It won't fit on a hand truck but a large rolling dolly works.  We then roll it away from the truck and set it back down.

we have never carried one this way for an extended period of time.  As long as their is no ink in the system tilting on extreme angles probably won't hurt the printer as long as you can grip it in an appropriate place, grabbing it in the wrong place can definitely break something.It is not uncommon when installing a printer go up and around some serious stairs and corners.  Just make sure you have lots of help ... very heavy and awkward.

As you can see from the picture, the crate is quite big.

Note, I offer my experience only to give you some idea what might be possible, but certainly proceed at your own risk.  You may wish to contact Epson directly to see if they could offer any advice.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:31:38 am »

Thanks both. I just sent an email to Epson Tech Help and explained the situation. I have not yet  heard from them.
Dave

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »

The question you will want to ask is in relation to warranty.  If you damage the printer doing this (bend it out of alignment, for example) then you may void your warranty.

As Wayne said, it can be done, but personally I'd recommend against it if at all possible and absolutely minimising the time it's done and avoid any bumps, sudden movements, rapid movement etc whilst in that position.
Phil Brown

LeiMeng

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

I moved my 9900 through a narrow stair and a small corner.  The only way was to tilt the printer 90 degrees to upright position.  It didn't cause any problem (for brand new printer without any ink charged).

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:22:45 pm »

I moved my 9900 through a narrow stair and a small corner.  The only way was to tilt the printer 90 degrees to upright position.  It didn't cause any problem (for brand new printer without any ink charged).
HAPPY ENDING:
I heard from Epson Tech Support as follows:
"Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Pro 7890. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

It can be tilted as much as needed as long as it is before the inks are installed and primed.

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please reply without history (when possible), as our email system contains all previous correspondence. If you have a different technical support issue, please submit another email request via our website (http://www.epson.com/support), and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson."

I was able to unpack it and put it on a flat dolly that a friend owns. We assembled the stand in the office (2nd bedroom), then rolled the flat dollie next to it. It went around corners, we had to remove the bedroom door first. It is now making a 20"x30" print! MUCH faster and quieter than my old 7600. It is now the largest item in our 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo! Some have pianos or big china closets....we have a printer in the 2nd bedroom. My wife is a saint 9married 53 years....she is used to me.
Thank you all for helping.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

VeloDramatic

• VeloDramatic Cycling Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:05:49 pm »

Glad you managed to get the printer where you wanted it. You might enjoy my solution to the same problem with a new 9890 (cue the forklift)

the story and pics

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:19 am »

Glad you managed to get the printer where you wanted it. You might enjoy my solution to the same problem with a new 9890 (cue the forklift)

the story and pics

WOW! I can't top that!
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up