Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G1x  (Read 29313 times)

aaykay

Re: Canon G1x
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »

I have pre-ordered the G1X but if the NEX7 becomes available before it comes into stock, that is what I will go for.  Either option (G1X or NEX7 with a couple of good lenses) sounds attractive to me.

ronch808

• http://www.ronch.org
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 01:37:13 pm »

So is LL going to do a field review of this camera?  It has some great spec's but how it performs in the field is also just as important.  Like how it focuses in low light or how good the IS is, etc.  Would love to see LL review this one.  Or should I say _please_ field test it?  LL is always a trustworthy source for product reviews which is needed in this case (I've been looking).
f22 and be there,
Ronch

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:48 pm »

An educated guess is that Michael won't let this pass.
Eduardo

So is LL going to do a field review of this camera?  It has some great spec's but how it performs in the field is also just as important.  Like how it focuses in low light or how good the IS is, etc.  Would love to see LL review this one.  Or should I say _please_ field test it?  LL is always a trustworthy source for product reviews which is needed in this case (I've been looking).

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »

I own and use both the G9 and G12 and have assembled a chart comparing those specs and features to the G1X, see http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2012/01/features-g9-vs-g12-vs-g1x.html on my blog.  The chart might be useful to others who are considering the G1X.  I intend to get the G1X and blog about it while learning to use it -- as I did with the G9 and G12.

Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

michael

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 06:30:25 pm »

I've already requested a review sample. I'll let everyone know when it arrives.

Michael

aaykay

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 12:02:34 am »

One of the major pluses in my mind, for the G1X, is the fact that it has an in-lens leaf-shutter, operating hand-in-hand with an electronic shutter.  A leaf shutter of course makes the camera silent - no audible noise at all, when taking pictures (unless one deliberately turn on the simulated shutter sound via the menu option).

Wish more manufacturers made leaf-shuttered lenses.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:03 am »

Is that so?
One more reason to buy this camera. I often take pictures at theaters during plays, operas, acoustic concerts, etc.
Eduardo

One of the major pluses in my mind, for the G1X, is the fact that it has an in-lens leaf-shutter, operating hand-in-hand with an electronic shutter.  A leaf shutter of course makes the camera silent - no audible noise at all, when taking pictures (unless one deliberately turn on the simulated shutter sound via the menu option).

Wish more manufacturers made leaf-shuttered lenses.

Pingang

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 08:53:59 am »

if this is early 2012, imagine 2013 and later.

Peter_DL

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »

Perfect
Canon actually gets it!
I always wondered why in 35mm film days there were a lot of 35mm compact cameras but no larger format compacts these days
I always wanted a larger format Canon G12 ...

+1
though I'm missing a designated belt bag,
leather, like with the former Gs from Canon .
A Titanium edition of the camera would also be nice :)

Peter

--

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2012, 02:17:30 pm »

Doesn't seem to have the macro capability of the previous G's?

marcmccalmont

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »

There is a flower icon on the back?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »

Closest focusing distance 20cm...

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2012, 08:50:37 am »

Closest focusing distance 20cm...
It's part of the price for a big sensor, I'd guess?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:57 am »

I like the G1x concept. I was a user of the Pro 1 and really loved its size and decent quality (compared to its contemporaries). 

I recently got tired of waiting for canon to make a large sensor small cmera and got an Olympus Pen EPL3. Quality is decent.  Compactness is good, but I find it clunky and difficult to operate. I will be selling that one and trying out the G1x.

I would absolutely use this camera on a gitzo traveller carbon fiber tripod.  This will be a great combo for backcountry skiing, paddling, climbing or any adventure where you need compactness.  The tripod isn't too bad if you pack it away in a backpack. 

I am curious about the menus and software features. I recently looked at a canon S95 (I think that was the model) and I was shocked about how much more evolved the software features were compared to the DSLRS (7D in particular).  It is really inexcusable that these software capabilities don't get into the EOS series cameras.  I'd like configurable auto ISO, intervalometer, bracketing with more than three exposures.

On a totally unrelated note, with auto ISO we should start calling manual mode aperture/shutter priority mode.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 02:28:34 am »

akh

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34:17 am »

I would love to see a comparison of the G1x and the new fuji x1 pro!
Regards,

Kyle

MoreOrLess

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:28 am »

There is more to "IQ" than pixel peeping. With those cameras you can use number of lenses below 28mm and above 112mm and number of faster-aperture lenses. A 60D with a 17-55/2.8 is two stops faster at the tele end... would G1X's IQ at 1600 be still be superior to 60D's 400?

Those cameras also have a viewfinder (granted, you would not know what to do with if you are born yesterday and the only way you learn to hold a camera is like you would hold a baby with full diapers, i.e., as far from the nose as possible). If all you ever use is in the range of 28-112mm and between 2.8 and 5.6, then, sure, go ahead and replace that bulky DSLR.

By the way, I am not trying to argue we do not need p&s... we do... I have G10 and will probably go for G1X or similar at some point... what I am arguing is: horses for courses. There are times and circumstances where all we could ever want would be a G1X, and then again, there are other times.

In that respect, G1X appears to be "too little, too late"... which seems to be Canon's new corporate slogan as of lately. When was the last time you saw a non yawn-inducing new Canon?
The whole point of this camera to me seems to be that its specifically not looking to compet with Canon's DSLR business. Dispite the hype
that there "killing DSLR's" I suspect that the vast majority of mirrorless sales are either to upgrading compact users who wouldnt consider a bulky DSLR or to a lesser extent DSLR users who want a smaller second body.

You look at mirrorless lens sales are really there pretty poor compaired to body sales which to me suggests that the majority of those users are just sticking with the kit lens. In that respect the G1X offers a very significant advanatge in zoom range and aperture over the kit zooms, even moreso the Samsung NX pancake zoom, will Sony need to limate theres aswell?

The viewfinder seems like a good middle option for that market aswell, your typical ex P&S is probabley happy with the backscreen as the primary composition tool and only wants a viewfinder when lighting makes it hard to use. On any other system its a choice between nothing or a large/expensive EVF where as the Canon offers a smaller/cheaper alternative good enough for the odd shot is not constant use.

John Camp

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 11:35:26 am »

I suspect my problem with this camera will be that it will leave f2.8 and get to f5.8 fairly quickly. I have a G11 but at Christmas, I borrowed my daughter's D7000 and stuck on my 17-55 f2.8 and shot with that -- because one thing I've found with inside daytime party photos is that f2.8 is hardly adequate except at higher ISOs, and f5.8 won't work at all. (Flash? Most people don't care to be blinded with repeated flashes during Christmas parties, and since nothing is posed, flash photos are not often attractive because of shadows and glare, etc.) The D7000 @ 3200 worked okay, but even then, the photos weren't what you'd call "bright."

I can see a camera like this being useful as a backup for trekkers, where you're outside most of the time and also have another system (or, if the shots are just intended as "casual" and you don't really need the flexibility of longer or shorter lenses.)

As for viewfinders...I have to agree with Slobodan. I have two Panny GX1s and I bought one accessory viewfinder to share between them, and shooting yesterday afternoon in bright sunlight, with a long lens on one and a short lens on the other, I found that half the time, I couldn't make out the screen on the one without the accessory viewfinder. It was driving me crazy. I've had a number of these top-end Canons P&S, and also a Nikon P7000, and now a fairly complete Panny system, and to tell the truth, it's often a relief to shoot with a regular DSLR with a good mirror viewfinder. ON the other hand, my full-sized system is a NIkon D3 (and a recently departed D300) and it's just too big, both body and lenses. My girlfriend has as K5 with five or six lenses, including the three pancakes, and I was shooting with that last night, and if there were about three more really good primes, that might be my ultimate solution. Or maybe the Fuji. I'ver heard good things about the viewfinder system there, although some of the reports on the glass aren't too encouraging, which is strange, because Fuji does have a reputation for good glass.

Be interesting if Pentax stayed with APS-C but managed to squeeze the size a bit more. The frontal area isn't bad, but the K5 is a chunky little thing.

stamper

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 11:41:32 am »

I can see a camera like this being useful as a backup for trekkers, where you're outside most of the time and also have another system (or, if the shots are just intended as "casual" and you don't really need the flexibility of longer or shorter lenses.)

Unquote

+1

dreed

"best compact camera" - DxO review G1X
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:14 am »

DxO have reviewed the sensor performance of the G1X and their summary is "The best compact camera".

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-PowerShot-G1X-Review

their testing does not appear to include anything related to the lens' ability to resolve detail.

The sensor bests everything in a related category except the new Panasonic GX1 in low light/high ISO.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:46:01 am by dreed »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up