Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a fair trade? Hassy 503cw content...  (Read 3306 times)

MarkoMijailovic

• MRKM FOTO
Is this a fair trade? Hassy 503cw content...
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:56:33 pm »

First off, Happy New Year to all the folks following the Gregorian calendar! Hoping you all had an enjoyable time bringing it in and that an awesome 2012 awaits you all!

Now down to business! I recently put up my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II lens for trade and was offered a Hasselblad 503cw w/ 80mm f/2.8 Planar CF T* + A12 back for it. The guy says he purchased the body and lens new from Vistek (a big retailer here, in Canada) and got the back second hand off someone. He's going to send me photos and dates tonight, which I'll post as soon as I get them.

Just looking to make sure this seems a fair trade.

I know I'll miss the 70-200 as soon as it leaves, but I've always wanted a Hassy... I'll especially appreciate the gained portability (weight/size dif.) over my RZ 67 Pro II...

Thanks in advance!

ced

Re: Is this a fair trade? Hassy 503cw content...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

All that just for a lens, if it is in good condition it looks like more than a bargain.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »

It depends on the condition of the items, of course, but on eBay your lens goes for approximately US$2,000, while the Hasselblad kit goes for approximately $2,400, so seems like a good trade for you.

MarkoMijailovic

• MRKM FOTO
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Indeed it seems like a good deal. I'll most likely go ahead with it.

The gentlemen sent me these two photos of the camera:

I've also requested to see the rear (back) of the camera, as well as the underside.

The dates he has given me are as follow:

Body- 1998
Lens- 1996
Back- 1997

Does anyone know if this would be the 1600 or 3200 ISO version give the date? I couldn't quite make it out from the photos.

Are there any specific questions I should ask him and any signs I should look for when trying it out?

Thanks again!

Regards,

Marko M.

MarkoMijailovic

• MRKM FOTO
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:50:51 am »

Turns out it's only the 800 ISO version; does this have a significant impact on value?

Here are a few more photos:

Given this, would you guys still say it's a good trade? I've read that Hasselblad can 'upgrade' the bodies to the 3200 ISO version, but it's quite expensive. Wondering how important this TTL feature actually will be to me.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:57:42 am »

It is actually ISO 1000 (the dot next to 800 in the picture), for what it's worth.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:05:19 am »

Marco

For everything that you need to know when checking a Hasselblad V-System body, magazine or lens, see these pages from David Odess' site -

http://www.david-odess.com/faq.html#q14

It's all there . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:11:39 am »

Marko

take some simple points:

Your Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II costs around 2400$ new. Lets suppose it is in best shape like new, but it´s a used lens so the value is around 2000 $.
On the other hand a Hasselblad 503CW with lens and A12 is around 2500 $ and up. I would say be careful.
there is always a reason why someone would leave 500 $ to you just so.
A Hasselblad is a mechanical Primadonna, if you touch her gently she will sing for a long time.
If you are a rough unhaptic motorical user, jamming the camera (put the lens on it uncocked) and just not using it smooth it will die on you.
if this is one which was used like this it may work, but the question is how long.
And ask the guy if there were any services done on the lens shutter (did it sit in a cupboard for some time unused : DON´T  Buy it ! the oil will be stuck and the times are too slow)
or did the circuitry get some moisture some time, Blads HATE moisture, you will not see this from outside  !!!!

If you want to get this item for the comfort of the easy exchange:
You could get the camera with a refund guarantee, take it to a service center , have it checked and if anything is OK keep it. Otherwise send it back.

My Proposal

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:17:55 am by Stefan.Steib »
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:18:02 am »

You're going to love MF with the HB. One of the best parts is that you can go to any of the used dealers (KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc) and get used lenses for give away prices compared to Nikon autofocus glass. I paid $196 for a perfectly good 250mm Sonnar, $300 for 50mm Distagon both pre T* but great with lens hood in place. These Zeiss lenses were thousands of dollars new and are some of the best quality glass ever produced for photography.
Enjoy film,
Dave
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:24:19 am »

I could be wrong here, but I don't believe the film back comes from as late as 1997. By that time, Hasselblad had added a plastic dark slide holder to the rear of their film backs. This back does not have it, so it must be older. If I am correct, this may not be a deal breaker, but the dark slide holder on the newer film backs does make life easier in the field.

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:27 am »

FWIW - You can date your Hasselblad 500 series camera using their serial # code. This goes for both the body and film back. Here's the code -

V H P I C T U R E S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 O

Look at the two-letter prefix to your serial number. This indicates the year of production. For example, if the two letters are "EU", then it was manufactured in "97", or 1997. You can check both the body and the film back.

Hope this is useful.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »

I would be very nervous about doing any deals outwith a reputable shop. In fact, I don't believe I ever have.

As with used cars, the question is always this: am I buying another guy's problem(s)?

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up