Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conflicting image sizes  (Read 1277 times)

davidh202

Conflicting image sizes
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:46 am »

Never dealt with this before and getting quite confused...
A client has sent me a file to print through an E mailed link to a drop box. When I open the link the image shows but I get no file to copy.
I experiment and right click and copy and paste  the displayed image into my pics folder- which works.
There is no camera data other than 6MB 4313 x2473 resolution at 96ppi in Bridges file info  
Image opens in ACR and image info at the bottom says 10.6 MB at 240 PPI 16bit SRGb1966
go directly to open the file in CS5 and 'image- size' indicates the image is approximately 10 x 18" at 240PPi.
Do nothing in CS5 but open the file as if I were going to print in Qimage at 'Original size' and the image size jumps to 46 x 25 " at 96PPI.
Why is this file being reported at so many different sizes and resolutions in three different programs?

Shouldn't CS5 be telling me the original image size and agree with Qimage if Qimage is reporting  the actual size is 46 x 25" at 96DPI ?

David
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:11:47 am by davidh202 »

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Conflicting image sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:18 am »

Is the actual size in pixels always the same?
If it is, there is no problem. Just resize the image without resampling and you will be fine.

Best regards.

Gary Brown

Re: Conflicting image sizes
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »

If it's a JPEG without EXIF data, then there probably are no ppi values stored with the image, so different software reading it would likely default to different values when you ask to see the physical size (i.e., in inches or centimeters).
Pages: [1]   Go Up