Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V Series Digital Users?  (Read 4263 times)

IAR

V Series Digital Users?
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »

I was looking to get some feedback from V series users.  I have been using a Linhof 679cc and
was thinking of using a 553 ELX as a second camera (in studio only)  Will I be constantly
fighting focus issues with even the newest lenses in the V series lineup or can this system
be reliable in studio.  I like the idea of using the newest IQ series backs on these cameras
but want to be realistic about the limitations of the system.  I have a PM 45 prism for the body
and I'm aware that there are the ugly cords and all just was looking for anyone who has
worked with this setup.

Thanks,

Sandy.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: V Series Digital Users?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:19:22 am »

Sandy

An awful lot depends on your subject matter - will it be still or moving? If you are talking about still work you should have no problem, if it is children and/or pets forget it and get a Canon.

The longer V-System lenses are really no problem to focus, even on digital backs, so with the 120, 150, or 180mm you will be fine. Use your PM45 prism and an acute-matte screen with the split image. Focus problems rear their heads the shorter the focal length, so the 60, 50 and 40mm get progressively more tricky. And don't think that DOF will save you either, because it will not, especially if you are thinking about an IQ-180.

John
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:26:36 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:24:58 am »

Only a P20 user (on a V) but I see no focus problems using acute-matte with split image even on 40mm but you need to be sure what you are focussing on is what you want in focus. Sounds strange but I'm sure we all look for the handy straight line to split rather than the actual focus point, it don't work, there is zero to play with. Studio, no problem with mirror up, outside is great, on a good tripod with mirror up, handheld forget it unless the light lets go you go to 500th, it doesn't often in the UK, even then the slap gets you now and again. Don't know how I ever managed to get those handhelds on film but then I've never had them under a microscope. Expectations have changed. If it moves it's a Nikon.

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:45:07 am »

I have a P30 on 501cm and my experience is similar to Chris'. I used to handhold the HB and get "fine" results but once you put the digital back on and start looking at 100% on the monitor everything handheld is blurred. I shoot from tripod with mirror lock for virtually everything except when using studio strobes. Outdoors in very good light on monopod is OK as long as I can keep shutter speeds to 1/250 or 1/500, below those speed it's tripod all the way.
Happy New Year,
Dave
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »

But Hasselblad were very honest about the mirror slap/vibration problems. In one of their newsheets (do they still do them?) they published a side-by-side comparison of a shot with and without MU. It showed. They also pointed out that all such cameras had the problem, and in my view, the worst I had was the last model of the Pentax 67 11 bodies, where even with MU, the shutter bounce ruined a lot of stuff towards the edges. At least it (67 11) was a camera that lived on a Gitzo! The 500C and CM were fine, hand-held in the studio with electronic flash, as has been mentioned already.

Rob C

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »

+1
Eduardo

The 500C and CM were fine, hand-held in the studio with electronic flash, as has been mentioned already.

Rob C

EinstStein

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »

I have CF22. I use it for both Contax 645 and Hasselblad V, including 500C/M and Flexbody.
I had a serious concerns on the focusing problems, especially to switch between Contax and HB-V. I asked the seller to promiss to help me resolving it as the contingency for the purchasing. I've read too many reports about this, but Hasselblad CF was and still is the only solution for multiple platform.

After comparing with Leaf 22, I stay with HB-CF. I found my concerns completely irrelevant. If HB-V with film works for you, so should it with digital. However, I found that HB-V focus system is much demanding than Contax. Meaning, a focus error is much more revealed on V's focusing screen than on Contax. This helps the focus accuracy. With Contax 645, I have to rely on the AF to give me the best focus.

This is for CF22. What about CF39? I don't own CF39, but I tried it just to confirm my CF22's focusing accuracy. I got the same conclusion. The limitation is all in my eyes and the speed of my fingers.
I'm sure it would be a terrible problem is I were to shoot bird in flight.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:57:47 am »

Will I be constantly fighting focus issues with even the newest lenses in the V series lineup

Sandy, I'm not sure I understand the question. I used a P25 and a P45+ on a Hasselblad V (and incidentally on a Linhof M679cs) before switching MF systems to Phase One/Mamiya with a P65+. I never had any focusing problems with the Hassy/Phase One combo at any focusing range from 1:1 macro to infinity. Yes, the cabling slows you down a bit, but if you're using a tripod it's not really that much of a problem.

Michael H. Cothran

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »

Sandy - With Hasselblad's CFV digital backs (made specifically for V system bodies), there are no cords necessary. The same mechanism that triggers a film back also triggers the CFV digital back. No cords needed.
However, if shooting cordless, the CFV back has shutter speed settings that need to match what you have set on the lens. For speeds 1/8 sec and faster, there is no need to change the setting in the back, but for slower shutter speeds, you need to reset the CFV according to the lens shutter speed. If this is an issue, then you can connect one cord from lens flash sync to the CFV back, in which case you don't ever have to adjust the shutter speed in the back. Being an outdoor photographer, my shutter speeds can be all over the board, so even though I can shoot cordless, I always add the single cord, thus not having to concern myself with adjusting the shutter speeds on the CFV. Shooting with this one sync cord is not an issue, IMO.
I shoot with a 501CM, and CF lenses. I have the original CFV (16mpix) with large 9 micron photo cells. It is provides the cleanest images I've ever shot. The current lineup of CFV backs includes a 39 mpix and 50 mpix. Note - the 16 mpix back provides the typical Hasselblad square image (with a 1.5 lens factor). All the larger backs (CFV39 and CFV50) provide rectangle images (645 proportions, with very little lens factor, maybe 1.1), but can be cropped square if so desired.

Concerning focusing, I'm not sure what you mean either. The accute matte screens are as bright as anything on the market. The prism finders DO darken the image a little, plus provide a smaller image, both of which may challenge your focusing skills slightly. There are a couple of very bright finders made for easier & more accurate focusing, but at the expense of a reversed image, similar to the standard waist level finder.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:16:18 pm by MichaelHCothran »

uaiomex

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »

Gary, in your appreciation, do the CF Zeiss lenses are up to the task for a 39mp back? Or do you think the P45+ was "undernourished"?
Thanks
Eduardo

Sandy, I'm not sure I understand the question. I used a P25 and a P45+ on a Hasselblad V (and incidentally on a Linhof M679cs) before switching MF systems to Phase One/Mamiya with a P65+. I never had any focusing problems with the Hassy/Phase One combo at any focusing range from 1:1 macro to infinity. Yes, the cabling slows you down a bit, but if you're using a tripod it's not really that much of a problem.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:47:20 am »

Ualomex, the simple answer is that by and large CF lenses are fully up to the job with the P45+.

However, not all CF lenses are equal in performance, some are clearly better than others, but this would be just as true with a roll of film as with a digital back.

The Hasselblad CF 120mm macro is fine at close range, but at infinity it's not as good as some of the later 120mm medium format designs from Zeiss and others. Another example was the earlier 40mm, which was well below the later Zeiss 40mm IF or the Sinaron 40mm that Zeiss designed.

IAR

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 07:58:39 pm »

Thanks for everyones input.  Gary - what I mean by constantly fighting focus is when not on a studio
stand but say a good steady tripod with mirror up will I have issues with focus shifting or are the newest lenses
the only option for P45 or Leaf 75s?  With the Linhof I can see with the magnifier attachment fine but focus
is very technical, plus or minus a few mm's and things aren't crisp.  Will I run into problems with a loose back fitting the
body or bodies? Also are the bright screens with my PM45 workable or what have others found to be the best finder?

Again thanks to everyone for their experiences, I will have to test with a back and get a bright screen to see how
it works for me.

uaiomex

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

Thanks Gary. I have a 50, 80 and 150 black CF lenses from the late 80's that I cherish but still waiting for a back that I can afford. According to some photographers that prefer the H system, the CF's are not good enough for digital. So, I'm concerned. I want long exposure and zero or near zero problems with moire. That's why the P45+ is the digital back for me. Waiting and waiting for prices to come down. Not yet enough. In the meantime my system is indeed getting old.
Best
Eduardo

Ualomex, the simple answer is that by and large CF lenses are fully up to the job with the P45+.

However, not all CF lenses are equal in performance, some are clearly better than others, but this would be just as true with a roll of film as with a digital back.

The Hasselblad CF 120mm macro is fine at close range, but at infinity it's not as good as some of the later 120mm medium format designs from Zeiss and others. Another example was the earlier 40mm, which was well below the later Zeiss 40mm IF or the Sinaron 40mm that Zeiss designed.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 04:07:31 am »

Hasselblad CF was and still is the only solution for multiple platform

Sinarbacks also work on multiple platforms including Hasselblad

henrikfoto

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:39 am »

I have used a 503cw with digital backs with 16, 22, 33, 39 and 80 mp.
Most of the new V-lenses are more than good enough all the way up to 80mp.

The big problem is focus. With the 80 mp it's close to impossible to hit the right spot.
With the 16 and 22 mp it's zero problem at all. Above that I would use the winder wich has a
much shorter and softer movement than the original buttom. You will see a large improvement in sharpness.

The p45 is the practical limit of the V-system I think. Even this back can be tricky if you don't use a tripod.

My favorite back for the V-system is the P25+ and the Aptus 22. You can use them just like film with no focusing issues at all. I don't think it's anything to gain above that exept maybe long exposures with the P45+.

Henrik

uaiomex

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »

I mean tripod always of course. It's good to know the P45 (39mp) is considered within the limit of what is possible for accurate focusing.

I'm startled about the rest of your post. :o  Is this because of the V system manufacturing tolerances or this applies to all digital medium format systems?
If this issue is for all systems, does it mean you can only get 80 mp resolution by Live View?

I've found out with my copy of 5D2 that using manual or auto focus, dead accurate focus is possible but there's no guarantee. if I use LV to manually focus my chances are practically 100%.

Eduardo

I have used a 503cw with digital backs with 16, 22, 33, 39 and 80 mp.
Most of the new V-lenses are more than good enough all the way up to 80mp.

The big problem is focus. With the 80 mp it's close to impossible to hit the right spot.
With the 16 and 22 mp it's zero problem at all. Above that I would use the winder wich has a
much shorter and softer movement than the original buttom. You will see a large improvement in sharpness.

The p45 is the practical limit of the V-system I think. Even this back can be tricky if you don't use a tripod.

My favorite back for the V-system is the P25+ and the Aptus 22. You can use them just like film with no focusing issues at all. I don't think it's anything to gain above that exept maybe long exposures with the P45+.

Henrik
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:05:56 pm by uaiomex »
Pages: [1]   Go Up