Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: another "fail" for 2011  (Read 4114 times)

John MacLean

• John MacLean Photography
another "fail" for 2011
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:49:04 am »

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/2010_lulas.shtml
http://www.xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=271

The X-Rite upgrade program for existing Eye-One Photo/Mac users needing to upgrade to Lion and having to spend $500+ to do so. Bogus!

JohnNewman

Re: another "fail" for 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:05:18 am »

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/2010_lulas.shtml
http://www.xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=271

The X-Rite upgrade program for existing Eye-One Photo/Mac users needing to upgrade to Lion and having to spend $500+ to do so. Bogus!

Here's the text of an email recieved from a friend just a couple of days ago:

"I have now installed Snow Leopard on a separate USB hard drive and find that it will boot any of my Macs into Snow Leopard if you plug it in and hold the OPTION key down, which lets you select the boot volume. This means that I can calibrate my screen / printer / projector once more without spending £600 pound on the new Lion compatible EyeOne program.  I realise that I will have to swap the calibration files over to the Lion system when it is it has been done. Below is how to set up the dual boot system.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20081187-263/how-to-keep-snow-leopard-when-upgrading-to-lion/ "

Seems a reasonable workaround, hope it helps someone.

Happy New Year

John.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »

If they had offered it at $200 or so I would have gone for it. i've got the i1 Photo Pro system, so the upgrade is essentially a software one and I don't plan on going to Lion any time soon.

K.C.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:28 am »

Why would you 'need' to upgrade to Lion ?

I've been dual booting Macs for years, though USB is a terribly slow way to do it. A second internal drive, a drive partition, or a Firewire drive are all easy and faster.

My current Macs have Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion as boot options. Everything new that's 64bit and benefits from it goes into the Lion system drive, legacy apps stay put.

It's not a fail by Xrite, it's the new business model called survival.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:12:56 am »

Why would you 'need' to upgrade to Lion ?

What if you are buying a new computer?

It's not a fail by Xrite, it's the new business model called survival.

It also helps the competition and newcomers to compete on price, and they don't have to win on features alone.

And some of us (potential) customers don't like getting fleeced, no matter how noble the reasoning behind it.

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:55:34 pm »

What if you are buying a new computer?

I just did. I cloned the installed 10.7 to an external firewire drive and updated to 10.7.2. I then wiped the internal drive and cloned it to 10.6.8 from the internal drive on my prior Mac. Now I can boot to either.

It also helps the competition and newcomers to compete on price, and they don't have to win on features alone.

And some of us (potential) customers don't like getting fleeced, no matter how noble the reasoning behind it.

Great non-sequitur, but I have no idea what you're referring to in either statement.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »

I just did. I cloned the installed 10.7 to an external firewire drive and updated to 10.7.2. I then wiped the internal drive and cloned it to 10.6.8 from the internal drive on my prior Mac. Now I can boot to either.

Not everyone is as computer-savvy as you. I would bet that way more than 90% of Mac (or PC) customers don't even know how to downgrade an OS.

Great non-sequitur, but I have no idea what you're referring to in either statement.

Sure it follows: you were the one who brought up business models, and I provided some counter-arguments to why such a move by X-Rite might not be conducive to its survival. To support my position I referred to customer objections, which have been expressed at length elsewhere on this forum.

Can't believe I had to explain that.

K.C.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »

Thanks for that kind and considerate clarification.

You're a real champ there buddy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up