Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next gen Nikons - rumors  (Read 3972 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Next gen Nikons - rumors
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »

A quick update on the latest Nikon rumors.  ;D

They would be announcing 2 new pro grade FF DSLRs early 2012, probably no later than the CP+ show scheduled to take place from Feb 9-12th in Yokohama, Japan. They would be shipping very quickly in 2012. These cameras were initially scheduled for an earlier announcement, but the combined earthquake and Thai flood effect slowed this down.

They seem to be fairly minor upgrades in term of tech specs:

- D4: D3s form factor, 16mp, native ISO of 100-12800 expandable up to 204,000, improved video, improved AF (probably Nikon 1 technology),
- D800: form factor similar to the D700 (possibly a bit more compact), 100% viewfinder, 36 mp (without AA filter or with one - 2 versions), native ISO of 100-6400.

In a way, this would be a first for Nikon. They used to have the same form factor for both sports and landscape cameras. This takes them much closer to Canon in terms of line up

I am personnally interested in the D800. A smaller weather proofed body at 36mp might be the last camera I'll ever need. I would be very hesistant between the AA less and AA filters versions if those are confirmed.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: Next gen Nikons - rumors
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:50:54 pm »

I'd be VERY interested in a D800 without an AA filter, otherwise my D700 will suffice.

John Camp

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:54:16 am »

Interesting.
I guess they had to push the D4 up in megapixels, for marketing's sake, but for most sports application application, I think 12mp was probably enough...I think a lot of people would have preferred 12mp and even *better* ISO performance, than 16mp and the same ISO performance. I could be wrong. As for the D800, if the performance matches the D700, it would be the all-time trekking camera...

JC

LKaven

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:49:41 am »

Interesting.
I guess they had to push the D4 up in megapixels, for marketing's sake, but for most sports application application, I think 12mp was probably enough...I think a lot of people would have preferred 12mp and even *better* ISO performance, than 16mp and the same ISO performance. I could be wrong.

The rumored D4 spec has base ISO at 100, whereas the D3s has base ISO of 200.  Also, there is one more stop of HI gain.  It seems very plausible that the D4 will deliver 13-point-something stops of DR with very low read noise, which would make it better than the D3s.  At 16MP, it would find many applications outside of sports, especially if it ends up having colors like the D3x.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »

Although I wouldn't mind having either of these (especially the D4) I am more interested in the D400 as more of an everyday DSLR.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:41:47 pm »

MY favorite rumours so far:

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »

MY favorite rumours so far:

Wild stuff!  :D

Cheers,
Bernard

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »

Wild stuff!  :D

Cheers,
Bernard

Glad you got the joke ;D

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 11:52:52 pm »

Hi,

On the AA-filtering issue, we have now seen a lot of images from NEX-7 and it is quite obvious that it has issues with Moiré. It is also very sharp. I have also seen Moiré on my Alpha 55, at 16 MP/APS-C. I think you should hesitate.

Best regards
Erik

A quick update on the latest Nikon rumors.  ;D

They would be announcing 2 new pro grade FF DSLRs early 2012, probably no later than the CP+ show scheduled to take place from Feb 9-12th in Yokohama, Japan. They would be shipping very quickly in 2012. These cameras were initially scheduled for an earlier announcement, but the combined earthquake and Thai flood effect slowed this down.

They seem to be fairly minor upgrades in term of tech specs:

- D4: D3s form factor, 16mp, native ISO of 100-12800 expandable up to 204,000, improved video, improved AF (probably Nikon 1 technology),
- D800: form factor similar to the D700 (possibly a bit more compact), 100% viewfinder, 36 mp (without AA filter or with one - 2 versions), native ISO of 100-6400.

In a way, this would be a first for Nikon. They used to have the same form factor for both sports and landscape cameras. This takes them much closer to Canon in terms of line up

I am personnally interested in the D800. A smaller weather proofed body at 36mp might be the last camera I'll ever need. I would be very hesistant between the AA less and AA filters versions if those are confirmed.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:20:46 am »

On the AA-filtering issue, we have now seen a lot of images from NEX-7 and it is quite obvious that it has issues with Moiré. It is also very sharp. I have also seen Moiré on my Alpha 55, at 16 MP/APS-C. I think you should hesitate.

Yep... fundamentally, going back to a moired world is probably not something I'd be interested in...

now, it is mostly an implementation issue, the 645D suffers from very little moire it seems.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up