Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic Composition Book  (Read 40638 times)

Isaac

Re: Photographic Composition Book
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:53 pm »

That can mean flowers in her garden, birds in her local park, or scenery and landscapes...
Then I'll reduce my suggestions to one - Tim Fitzharris's "National Audubon Society Guide to Nature Photography: Digital Edition".

Steve Miller

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 10:05:20 pm »

Than I'd recommend this one: The Photographer's Eye, by Michael Freeman.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. After reading the reviews, I just ordered two (one for me as well). I'm also going to get her the "kindergarden" book as well as one of Tim Fitzharris's book.

Thanks again to everyone for the great recommendations.

Steve

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 01:30:11 am »

Then I'd recommend this one: The Photographer's Eye, by Michael Freeman.

That would be my suggestion.  That and 'Photography and the Art of Seeing' by Freeman Patterson.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 07:11:58 pm »

The best book on photographic composition I can not recommend enough does not have a single photograph in it. It looks, quite deceptively, as a kindergarten-level children book: Picture This: How Pictures Work

Slobodan, Picture This arrived yesterday afternoon and today I took time to read it thoroughly from cover to cover. Took about 45 minutes. You're right, it's a very good book about some of composition's most basic rules. On the other hand, I'm not sure how useful it is for a photographer. If you're painting, you can build up your picture on the basis of Molly's insights, but if you're a photographer you rarely can control things that well. I'm glad she didn't dwell more on the effects of color since in a photograph you have almost no control over color, and the rules of colors often will overcome your efforts. HCB undestood that, though he did some color work in later life that rarely surfaces.

It was a very valid recommendation and I'm glad I bought the book, but I'd hate to try to teach photographic composition to my mother on the basis of that book.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Steve Miller

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help with finding interesting books on photographic composition for my mom. I ended up getting her The Photographer's Eye, Picture This: How Pictures Work, and two of Tim Fitzharris's books. She loves them and is making her way through each book. Her basic comments so far are usually something like: "I'm not creative, I'll never be able to get to many of those places, but I really love learning about all of it". Paraphrasing just a bit. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions, they were very helpful.

Steve

P.S. I also ordered a copy of The Photographer's Eye for myself but haven't had any free time to read it. Looking forward to it.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 12:52:13 pm »

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help with finding interesting books on photographic composition for my mom. I ended up getting her The Photographer's Eye, Picture This: How Pictures Work, and two of Tim Fitzharris's books. She loves them and is making her way through each book. Her basic comments so far are usually something like: "I'm not creative, I'll never be able to get to many of those places, but I really love learning about all of it". Paraphrasing just a bit. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions, they were very helpful.

Steve

P.S. I also ordered a copy of The Photographer's Eye for myself but haven't had any free time to read it. Looking forward to it.

I believe your Mum has just articulated the reality of ninety-nine-plus percent of the people in this world who own cameras; I always did maintain that women are far more realistic and appreciative of reality than are men. It's a gender imperative.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up