Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Capture One in combination with Lightroom (working studio)  (Read 38890 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Using Capture One in combination with Lightroom (working studio)
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 03:51:18 am »

Hi,

What I would do is to select the image and use "Show in Finder", change defaults so to make Capture One default application for that type of image. From C1 export to a specific folder and make that one watched folder. You can drag the images from the watched folder to your normal folder in LR.

This should work, I have never tried it because I prefer Lightroom to C1. I use the show in finder solution often with C1, and it works if C1 is running.

For me, C1 is a dead end, mostly because I use features in LR extensively that C1 lacks. But, C1 has better demosaicing with less colour artefacts, so a mixed route may have it's advantages.

Using TIFFs instead of raws wastes a lot of disk space.
Best regards
Erik

I've used Lightroom for many years now. Very comfortable with it. I'm quite happy with the way it works as a catalog for RAW files (in my workflow). I use Bridge to manage converted files (Tiffs, PSD's etc). However, I'm changing the way I light and shoot so want to start using Capture One to convert certain images. It helps that there is a sale on Capture one right now.
Do folks here have experience working with Lightroom to manage catalog structures for RAW files and Capture one to convert?
What concerns should I have with this workflow?
Really, I'm just going to use C1 as an alternate program to convert files that have already been cataloged in LR so I don't foresee any major problems, but would love to hear from others who do this.
Commercial studio.

Thanks!

Erik Kaffehr

The View

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 01:19:36 am »

Hi,
Things might be different for other people, but this is how I do it.

1. I shoot tethered in C1 and do my first selection there.
2. Files are copied to our NAS and imported in Lr.
3. In Lr I do all the flagging, naming etc.
4. I use the browser from C1 to go to the location where the files are and do my selection and retouching.

You don't need to have your files in the capture folder, just open a session (doesn't matter which one) and browse to the Lr folder where the files are.

If you want to export from Lr just make a recipe that is copying the originals to a folder that is called for example "retouch" and open them from there, but that's an extra step.

I'd love to use Lightroom as a catalog to escape the buggy C1 Pro catalog.

But I don't see how you can get the C1 RAW conversions into that catalog. It will just look like a Lightroom conversion.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 04:01:20 am »

Hi,
The solution is very simple.

Use C1 in session mode, now you can browse all the folders you also see in Lr.
If you change something just tell Lr to sync folders and it will add the new/changed files.

Jim MSP

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 08:51:26 am »

I'd love to use Lightroom as a catalog to escape the buggy C1 Pro catalog.

But I don't see how you can get the C1 RAW conversions into that catalog. It will just look like a Lightroom conversion.

I think I understand what you are asking. If you do't process (or export) a C1 converted raw, the LR catalog will never show it as C1 shows it.
However, as I (most) always process a photo I use C1 on, I use the processed photos as a view of what C1 did.
If you want, I suppose that you could set up a process recipe for C1 that always outputed a small file into a specific folder such as "C1 Process". Then LR would see them all.

dwswager

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 09:47:49 am »

I've used Lightroom for many years now. Very comfortable with it. I'm quite happy with the way it works as a catalog for RAW files (in my workflow). I use Bridge to manage converted files (Tiffs, PSD's etc). However, I'm changing the way I light and shoot so want to start using Capture One to convert certain images. It helps that there is a sale on Capture one right now.
Do folks here have experience working with Lightroom to manage catalog structures for RAW files and Capture one to convert?
What concerns should I have with this workflow?
Really, I'm just going to use C1 as an alternate program to convert files that have already been cataloged in LR so I don't foresee any major problems, but would love to hear from others who do this.
Commercial studio.

Thanks!

Each RAW conversion program has some strengths and some weaknesses.  The problem is workflow and does the DAM end recognize the output of the RAW capture side.  Can I see in Lightroom/Bridge (or your other organization/viewing tools) the output of the conversion software.  Can I automate through the DAM tools through the converter to my desired output?  That is a big one for me.

The other big thing is camera profiles.  Adobe Standard in lightroom is hateful!  I have a couple dual illuminant custom profiles for my cameras that I use as "standard" and then make profiles as I deem necessary on a per shoot basis.  I cannot overemphasize the difference it makes in color and contrast rendition.  It would not be possible in some cases or worth the time in others to achieve the results possible from custom profiles.  Custom profiles would help any conversion program, but seem to help Lightroom/ACR more than others because Lightroom/ACR has the worst starting assumptions.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »

Hi,
The solution is very simple.

Use C1 in session mode, now you can browse all the folders you also see in Lr.
If you change something just tell Lr to sync folders and it will add the new/changed files.

You will no be able to see in LR the edits you performed in C1 unless you export to tiff/JPEG
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up