Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D vs 645DF viewfinder  (Read 2560 times)

markymarkrb

H4D vs 645DF viewfinder
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »

Can someone tell me how the 645DF viewfinder compares with a H4D viewfinder.   I have heard it isn't as good but is it as bad as a Nikon or does it still have that MF bright look?  I can't find any reviews of it online.

Thanks,
Mark

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: H4D vs 645DF viewfinder
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:58 pm »

If you use one without using the other coming from 35mm, it will look as bright and as amazing as you would expect. The 645DF may be slightly less bright then the H4D, and while noticeable if you are comparing them side by side, practically, I don't believe there is a difference, and while I cannot say I love my 645DF viewfinder, I wouldn't say I don't like it, because it just is, its a viewfinder and leave it at that.

Now the H4D, I will say something bad about (and if anyone thinks I'm going on an anti-Hasselblad H series campaign, read my blog posts, I have many things that I like about the series, although more in the lenses), when I was using the H4D-50, I experienced something I had never experienced with any other camera, and have not since then, simply put, it was CA in the viewfinder. I don't know why there was chromatic aberration in the viewfinder, but I found this to be annoying, more so when I was using it for some street shooting tests in harsher lighting conditions then when I was using it later for some landscape and portrait images though.

Thats my thoughts. 
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:14:04 pm »

MY GOD! I'm not the only one!
I never really mentioned it, and it wasn't something that particularly stood out. I used a friends, and noticed it ever so slightly, but only in extreme lighting. I've used another in Studio and never found the problem.

I have the 645DF but something I prefer in the H4D is the ability to use a top down view. I also prefer the eye cup.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:17:39 pm »

I never really mentioned it, and it wasn't something that particularly stood out. I used a friends, and noticed it ever so slightly, but only in extreme lighting. I've used another in Studio and never found the problem.

I have the 645DF but something I prefer in the H4D is the ability to use a top down view. I also prefer the eye cup.

I feel like most people experience it, but then convince themselves that it didn't happen in their minds....like other traumatic events.....Its not really ever talked about, it only happens in harsh lighting conditions, I agree, but It shouldn't happen at all, I've literally never experienced that on any other camera.

For my work, I don't see a need for a top down viewing option on this camera, I keep it as a novel thing on my 503CW but also have a prism viewfinder (metered) for critical work.

Pics2

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:15 am »

I just found this yesterday. Would you use even more brightness with this, I don't know.
http://www.adorama.com/MY645AFAF.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:58:48 am by Pics2 »

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:28:09 am »

I just found this yesterday. Would you use even more brightness with this, I don't know.

Ah yes, I forgot about this, I have never actually seen it in person, but it seems like a reasonable accessory, I believe Nikon has one as well. I think because its more glass (or mirror) in-between the original light source (the scene) and your eye it may be darker, assuming that the more stuff the light has to be transmitted through and reflected off of the less bright it will get etc, just like with lenses + tc's + filters and all that stuff....that said it may be a viable solution and if you can buy it somewhere, try it out and return it if you hate it, not the worst deal.

ondebanks

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:54:41 am »

I bought one of these from KEH for $69 - yay! - along with some other stuff. I received my order on Monday. On opening it, my heart sank immediately when I saw that they'd sent me the wrong type of Mamiya 645 Angle Finder! Even though the label on the KEH bag said "FA401", and even though it was listed on the website as an "FA401" and appeared in the Mamiya 645 AUTOFOCUS area, this was no FA401. It was the much older type, which only fits the pre-AF bodies.

To their credit however, KEH said that not only would they refund the $69 plus $10 of the shipping, I can keep the finder! "Given the expense of shipping merchandise between Ireland and US, I will not require you to send the mislabeled unit back to us". How's that for good customer service. I'm impressed.

It is still disappointing not to have obtained an FA401 at such a price, and my search will have to continue.

Meanwhile - anyone want to buy an M645 Angle Finder?  :D

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up