Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macro Lens for MFD and technical cameras  (Read 2450 times)

felix5616

Macro Lens for MFD and technical cameras
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:14:48 pm »

What macro lenses are available for medium format backs and technical cameras?

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
Re: Macro Lens for MFD and technical cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:16:54 am »

There are 2 main options : the 120mm Macro lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock, both optimized for digital, to various degrees (can't elaborate on that as a I have no direct experience with them), both 5.6, main difference being the image circle - 110mm for Schneider, 150mm for Rodenstock. I would also love to hear from users who have direct experience with both lenses, on high-density pixel digital backs (6u and 5.2u micron size ... ) , with extreme movements all the way to the borders of the IC !
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:04:06 am by nazdravanul »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:05:25 pm »

I think the above reply mostly answered your question, not exactly sure what your asking if its for a tech cam with a back mounted on it or if its an either or question.....

Hasselblad makes a 120mm Macro AF lens (which is superior)

PhaseOne / Mamiya / Leaf has two, the 120mm Macro f/4 D (MANUAL FOCUS) and a 120mm Macro f/4 AF which I suspect to be very good

Contax also had a 120mm f4 AF (Ziess designed) which I'm pretty sure the Hass and Phase versions are copies of

Leica and Pentax also have macro solutions....

but I think the other answer answers your question better.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:19 pm »

One of the really great accessories for the Rollei platform was the M39/M40 behind the lens shutter.  It mounts in the camera and has a helical extension and leaf shutter built in but accepts lenses with standard 39mm enlarger threads.   You can really use almost any of the good rodenstock or schneider enlarging lenses as macro taking lenses, plus many of the dedicated macro or micro lenses like the zeiss luminars or leica photars with adapters. Industrial lenses such as the schneider makro-symmar can also be fit. Really quite a range of lenses can be fit this way and still be able to use electronic exposure features easily.   This set up is really great for macro work and being able to take advantage of the camera for focusing and exposure metering is wonderful.    This whole set up can also be fit to a number of technical cameras such as the X-Act2 using a lens adapter and Rollei Lens controller.    

There are 3 rollei macro lenses all with leaf shutters  - 90mm f/4 apo (schneider), 120mm f/4 (zeiss), and 150mm apo (schneider bellows lens).  All three are excellent but the 90 is really a stellar performer and the 90 and 120 are available in PQS versions with 1/1000th sync.

Rollei also offered a number of dedicated macro accessories including a retro lens adapter for reversing lenses while maintaining all electronic functions.  Also offered is a vario-extension tube (continuously adjustable from 22mm to 68mm) and a bellows adapter 68-to 250mm extension and a number of rings.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:17:45 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

theguywitha645d

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:32 am »

For a digital back, you can also try an assortment of view cameras rather than a tech camera--I assume by a tech camera you are referring to a flat body unit like Alpa or Arca Swiss. While not a lens, it is another way to could go--if you have an Arca Swiss tech camera, the body can be used as a front standard to their view cameras.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »

You haven't said much about your application or needs. But alternatives to a tech camera also include:
Cambo X-2
Mamiya Macro Bellow (bottom of link)

Both would require a Mamiya/Phase mount back and a Mamiya or Phase One body.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
Pages: [1]   Go Up