Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!!! Aptus 22 error on RZ pro II D body.  (Read 4663 times)

mjkim

Help!!! Aptus 22 error on RZ pro II D body.
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »

Hi guys
I have purchased
Aptus 22 factory refurnished back
RZ pro II D body
Mamiya digital adapter
Very excited!!!
But once back is attached the camera would not fired!?
Camera and body has no cable as it is D body
and set M mode.
Orange warning light and audible warning sound whenever press shutter.

Anyone can help please!!!

Thank you in advance.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Help!!! Aptus 22 error on RZ pro II D body.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 03:39:42 am »

Hello MJ, make sure that the correct camera typ is selected in the camera settings menu. It needs to be "Mamiya AFD"
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

mjkim

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:30:45 am »

Hi Yair
Thank you for your answer.
So NOT MAMIYA RZ, right?
Will try few hours later.
Best

bpepz

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:31 am »

also the rz67 has some weird quirks which can cause it not to fire for a whole lot of other reasons. for example on the rz67 lenses there is a socket for a cable release to activate mirror lockup on the left side of the lens. If the socket collar is up you will not be able to fire it unless you have a cable release or reset it to its default position. Sometimes also when you rotate the back if may not be seated all the way and you may need to jiggle it a bit until its corrected.

aknicholas

• A K Nicholas - Figurative Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:47:20 am »

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm considering an RZ system.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »

Also make sure the back has a CF card inserted and formatted. It needs to be a good CF card as Leaf backs are somewhat more picky than your typical Canon or Nikon camera for quality/type of CF card.

Or if you're shooting tethered make sure Capture One Pro or Leaf Capture is launched and sees the back.

The RZ Pro IID will not fire if the back is not reporting that it is ready. In the case you don't have a CF card inserted for instance than the back is not ready to fire.

If you buy these from a Value Added Dealer like us (Capture Integration) then you have several people you can call - anytime of day - to help you with these problems. We are selling these Aptus 22 Factory Refurbs with warranty :-).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

mjkim

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »

Hi Yair
You were absolutely right.
Since I changed the setting from Mamiya RZ to Mamiya AFD as you told me, it works like silk!!!
Many many thanks : )
Best

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:26 pm »

mkjim,
It is working perfectly for you? Because there are some reported issues with that combination of equipment, see post 7: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=34969
Or are you using a newer Aptus II? I

mjkim

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:55:11 pm »

Hi Marko
Yes, I just realized that the camera shoot black frame sometime.
It is not shooting black frame depend on shutter speed changed, It is rare but happening and very irregular!
I don't know how much affect to using the RZ II D with Aptus 22 but so far it is ok as it is digital frame not film!
I would dying to know if any solution on this!
But I am happy to not use cable from lens to back.
Yair, any suggestion on this black frame thing?
Best
MJ

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »

As far as I know, only an Aptus II will work properly. In fact, it seems the newer backs are the only ones to work flawlessly with the RZ cameras! This is so because even if using the sync cable and a non-electronic (Leaf) adapter, there is an issue with underexposure at fast shutter speeds. It is a hardware limitation with the older Aptus backs and is confirmed by Leaf. If using flash in the studio (provided you sync directly with the back, not the camera hot shoe) this shouldn't be an issue and I would suggest using a sync cable, but if you need to combine it with continuous light such as outdoors, it can be quite problematic. How important is every frame? Personally I don't mind the sync cable much, its the fact that it doesn't work perfectly that annoys me.

mjkim

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »

Aha!
It is good to have both of RZ Pro II and Pro II D body!
Will use with sync cable with Pro II and once I update newer back then use II D body.
Thanks for info ; )
Best

AlDoori

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 02:38:06 pm »

As far as I know, only an Aptus II will work properly. In fact, it seems the newer backs are the only ones to work flawlessly with the RZ cameras! This is so because even if using the sync cable and a non-electronic (Leaf) adapter, there is an issue with underexposure at fast shutter speeds. It is a hardware limitation with the older Aptus backs and is confirmed by Leaf. If using flash in the studio (provided you sync directly with the back, not the camera hot shoe) this shouldn't be an issue and I would suggest using a sync cable, but if you need to combine it with continuous light such as outdoors, it can be quite problematic. How important is every frame? Personally I don't mind the sync cable much, its the fact that it doesn't work perfectly that annoys me.
i use RZ proII and RZ proIID with the cold leaf adapter and sync cable to an H1 aptus 22 without any problems.
i sync my strobes via broncolor IRS/hotshoe and use hmi, kinoflo and daylight continous, exposure is accurate at any shutter speed.

i get get black frames only if i test the strobes for metering by triggering them with the IRS test key. looks like there is some kind of short circuit in the system.

my experience with the proII/hot mamiya adapter is limited, though.

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 12:44:53 pm »

i use RZ proII and RZ proIID with the cold leaf adapter and sync cable to an H1 aptus 22 without any problems.
i sync my strobes via broncolor IRS/hotshoe and use hmi, kinoflo and daylight continous, exposure is accurate at any shutter speed.

i get get black frames only if i test the strobes for metering by triggering them with the IRS test key. looks like there is some kind of short circuit in the system.

my experience with the proII/hot mamiya adapter is limited, though.

I guess you must be one of the luckier ones, because my experience has been rather different. I tried two different camera bodies with various lenses, all showed the same problem depending on the lens type. Leaf support did their own test with their own equipment and also got underexposure. I find it puzzling why it works for you, maybe the H mount has different support electronics? I'm using a Mamiya mount back.

Aha!
It is good to have both of RZ Pro II and Pro II D body!
Will use with sync cable with Pro II and once I update newer back then use II D body.
Thanks for info ; )
Best

Maybe you could also try the IID with the sync cable and set up the back as RZ67? I haven't tried this but see no reason why it shouldn't work. Then there should be no need to change cameras! Do you get the underexposure issue?

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 02:45:15 pm »

Hello Mark,

I’ve been using a Leaf Aptus 75 Mamiya mount now for well over half a decade on a Mamiya RZ ProII and ProIID bodies using the Leaf adapter with sync cable and I haven't encountered a single issue with this system. I also use on rear occasions the Mamiya fully integrated adapter and this works flawlessly as well.

Regards

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up