Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?  (Read 35386 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: PhotoShop CS6 upgrade discount available only 1 version back?
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 08:25:26 pm »

I have no interest in "cloud" versions under any of the definitions suggested. I will only buy the permanent license, as long as that is available. Under the new system I will be going much longer between versions than I do at present and I will definitely be looking for alternatives to Photoshop.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

graeme

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 08:27:38 pm »

We buy Adobe products for our business ( although I also use them for none - business projects ). I generally like the products and have never had any problem with the pricing and actually thought that the 'three versions back' upgrade policy was pretty generous. I know that Adobe software costs more in the UK than in the US but so does most stuff ( however, we have an NHS which has been useful recently....). The new pricing / cloud model will be a problem for us - the Adobe software isn't central enough to our work for the new upgrade pricing to make sense. We'll probably make sure we get a lot of years of use out of Photoshop & Illustrator CS5 rather than follow our 'every other version' upgrade path. During this period we'll seek out alternative raw converters etc ( Not Aperture though - I trust Apple even less than Adobe ).

The Cloud? You'd have to be an idiot to rely on a constant internet connection if you need access to an application in order to meet a tight deadline ( which we're often given ).

Nope, we want to buy applications which become ours to use as we wish ( subject to licensing agreements of course ) and are installed on our computer.

And as for the supposed benefit of the cloud-based apps being upgraded more regularly? No thanks, I'm not a natural at computer stuff and it takes me a while to 'get into' an app - another reason for 'every other version' upgrading.

On reflection, if Adobe can make this work for themselves then good luck to them - nobody is being forced to buy their products, but I can't help thinking that they're shooting themselves in both feet. ( And I'll bet that there are independent developers out there eagerly anticipating the next five years ).

Graeme

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »

I am not thrilled with this concept either and also upgrade every second version as apparently do many others.

Has Adobe stated what the new upgrade pricing will be set at for Photoshop with the perpetual license version?? 

Perhaps they will set the upgrade pricing at a lower price than the current $200 :o given that the current average upgrade turn is maybe on average every 2 versions and this new policy will increase (theoretically) that upgrade path to every version.  That could conceivably be the plan, right? ;)

My gut tells me however that they will maintain the $200 upgrade price every upcoming version.

[size=12p

ProDesignTools

• ProDesignTools
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »

The Cloud? You'd have to be an idiot to rely on a constant internet connection if you need access to an application in order to meet a tight deadline ( which we're often given ).

Well, it is true that the Adobe's subscription versions do require Internet access once per month to (re-)validate the software, even if the programs themselves aren't running online.

On the whole, so far it sounds like folks are objecting to some of the aspects below (taken from Adobe's site), even if more applications are included in the cloud package to increase the value (if you need or use them).

Q: Do I install the subscription software on my computer, or is it a cloud-based application that I access via the Internet?
A: Subscription editions of Creative Suite software are installed locally on your computer, just like regular Creative Suite products. The functionality of a subscription edition is no different from that of the regular product. You do not need to be online constantly to use your Creative Suite subscription. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

Q: When an upgrade to my subscription product becomes available, am I required to install it?
A: No. You are not required to install any new version of the subscription software, and you have a great deal of flexibility on when you install an upgrade, should you choose to do so. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

Q: If I suspend or cancel my subscription, does that mean I can still use my software, but I just won’t receive updates for the most current version?
A: No. When you suspend or cancel your subscription you will no longer have access to any version of your Creative Suite subscription software.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#subscriptions

Adobe may at any time, upon notice required by applicable law, change the price of your subscription or any part thereof, or institute new charges or fees. Price changes and institution of new charges implemented during your subscription period will come into effect for any subsequent subscription periods and to all new subscribers after the effective date of the change. If you do not agree to any such price changes, then you must cancel your subscription and stop using the software prior to the commencement of the renewal subscription period for which the price change applies.

http://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

Paul Sumi

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:08 am »

...I would be interested... but not at $600.00 per year.

For an amateur photographer like me, who uses PhotoShop but none of the other applications, this sort of pricing for a cloud subscription makes absolutely no sense.  Which leaves me with the permanent license option at an (as yet) unknown cost.

Adobe made it easy for me to start using PhotoShop (back in version 6) because of a competitive crossgrade.  And I'll probably get PS CS 6.  But I suspect that many of us will now have a reason to actively search for a PhotoShop replacement.

Adobe, don't shoot yourself in both feet like Netflix.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:03:49 am by Paul Sumi »

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:19 am »

I'm quite certain that many users of PS upgrade because they need the new bits and pieces, and I'm also sure that many are as I: I still use 6 and know that it does, and will do, more than anything that photography demands from me.

If there's a problem with it, it's that the computer with Vista won't take it, and when the one with the XP thing dies I shall be effed. Nice.

This should probably be on another thread, but let's see if anyone here has the answer: my recently bought 'phone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace (sounds like a 50s car), has a 5mp camera, but I can't discover how to get the jpegs into the computer in order to try them out. The instructions on the web tell us to buy a Samsung software thinggy; can't one simply use the USB cable supplied to do the job in PS without buying yet more junk? So far, I have a couple of family shots on the thing and there they will remain if more buying is the only route out!  I did plug in that USB cable supplied, but all I received as info was that the computer was missing the appropriate software....

8-(

Rob C

graeme

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 03:37:52 am »

Well, it is true that the Adobe's subscription versions do require Internet access once per month to (re-)validate the software, even if the programs themselves aren't running online.

On the whole, so far it sounds like folks are objecting to some of the aspects below (taken from Adobe's site), even if more applications are included in the cloud package to increase the value (if you need or use them).

Q: Do I install the subscription software on my computer, or is it a cloud-based application that I access via the Internet?
A: Subscription editions of Creative Suite software are installed locally on your computer, just like regular Creative Suite products. The functionality of a subscription edition is no different from that of the regular product. You do not need to be online constantly to use your Creative Suite subscription. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

Q: When an upgrade to my subscription product becomes available, am I required to install it?
A: No. You are not required to install any new version of the subscription software, and you have a great deal of flexibility on when you install an upgrade, should you choose to do so. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

Q: If I suspend or cancel my subscription, does that mean I can still use my software, but I just won’t receive updates for the most current version?
A: No. When you suspend or cancel your subscription you will no longer have access to any version of your Creative Suite subscription software.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#subscriptions

Adobe may at any time, upon notice required by applicable law, change the price of your subscription or any part thereof, or institute new charges or fees. Price changes and institution of new charges implemented during your subscription period will come into effect for any subsequent subscription periods and to all new subscribers after the effective date of the change. If you do not agree to any such price changes, then you must cancel your subscription and stop using the software prior to the commencement of the renewal subscription period for which the price change applies.

http://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

Thanks for that clarification Tools.

I just can't be bothered though. I'd rather dedicate my limited number of brain cells to tasks other than remembering to update my subscription once a month. As I said, I just want to buy the apps, install them on our computer and use them for the next few years - but not at the new pricing model. That's just my personal consumer choice.

Graeme

graeme

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 03:53:12 am »

I'm quite certain that many users of PS upgrade because they need the new bits and pieces, and I'm also sure that many are as I: I still use 6 and know that it does, and will do, more than anything that photography demands from me.

If there's a problem with it, it's that the computer with Vista won't take it, and when the one with the XP thing dies I shall be effed. Nice.

This should probably be on another thread, but let's see if anyone here has the answer: my recently bought 'phone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace (sounds like a 50s car), has a 5mp camera, but I can't discover how to get the jpegs into the computer in order to try them out. The instructions on the web tell us to buy a Samsung software thinggy; can't one simply use the USB cable supplied to do the job in PS without buying yet more junk? So far, I have a couple of family shots on the thing and there they will remain if more buying is the only route out!  I did plug in that USB cable supplied, but all I received as info was that the computer was missing the appropriate software....

Hi Rob

This is probably unhelpful but when I plug my cheapo Nokia into our Mac it shows up under 'Devices' ( along with the hard drive , and any connected iPods or inserted CDs ). I can then just navigate through the folders on the phone looking for 'Images'. Maybe try ignoring the'missing the appropriate software....' message and having a search around to see if the phone is showing up somewhere unexpected on your system. ( Or visit a Mac - using friend ).

Graeme
8-(

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 04:42:15 am »

This model, where subscription is purely a new form of ownership (SaaS), touches on some very interesting questions around the concept of IP ownership. I believe that the user perception is critical... and we are talking about creators here, about artists.

Renting an authoring software is very different from renting a house because it can be argued that the only thing a house helps you produce are memories and babies. Both live their own lifes independently from their origins.

On the other hand PS helps you create art, your own IP. The concept of rental means that you can be in a situation very easily where you are not able to work anymore on your creation. You are not able to edit your work...

Cheers,
Bernard

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 07:06:18 am »

I'm surprised so few are commenting on the price. With cloud/subscription you're paying the full price of the software once every year and a half. You'd have to be insane to a) do it b) think it's a good idea. What possible advantage could it have?

Yes Adobe will solve their piracy problems, but not at the expense of making me pay the equivelent of a full new license every 1.5 years. If anything I think they'll just make the piracy double as bad to be honest by pricing photoshop in the stratosphere to all but corporations.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:53 am »

I agree with Ben.  The price will be a big problem.  With others, the big problem will be the simple fact that you are "renting" and not owning. 

It is possible that, if Adobe does in fact go this route, there will be other software companies that step up and offer serious alternatives to Adobe Products.  The talent and the ability is out there, there just has not been a real demand as far as I know.  Maybe Adobe will create an environment that encourages competition.  That could be a good thing for us.  And a stupid move for Adobe.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 10:21:05 am »

Yes Adobe will solve their piracy problems, but not at the expense of making me pay the equivelent of a full new license every 1.5 years. If anything I think they'll just make the piracy double as bad to be honest by pricing photoshop in the stratosphere to all but corporations.

Actually, I expect that this will just increase the level of piracy by making it even more prohibitively expensive for individual users. Someone in Adobe marketing has gotten carried away with the buzz around cloud computing, subscription services and iPads (touch interfaces), without really considering what its users need.

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:06 am »

Hi Graeme

Thanks for the suggestion, but zilch comes up - wouldn't have dreamed of buying this 'phone on the open market, it was only the fact that the telephone company offered a huge discount because I had so many 'points' saved up, having never used them at all in the past. Frankly, my old Nokia was infinitely more user-friendly in all respects and I have often regretted its demise, along with a lot of numbers I can no longer trace.

We are all mugs!

Rob C

John S C

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

Like many here I tend to upgrade Photoshop probably every two versions, or when a new feature looks as though it may be useful. I mainly use Photoshop to do those things I can't do in Lightroom, usually a bit of cloning and the occasional  "Free Transform" to adjust  perspective, plus Soft Proofing for printing.

Now I've found that I can do most of this, with the exception of soft proofing in Photoshop Elements. If we ever get soft proofing in Lightroom, then I may not need Photoshop. Will I  upgrade probably. But if Adobe start opting for subscription services then I'm afraid I may start looking for other routes. I'm about to start looking at Aperture, just in case I need to jump the Adobe ship.

RFPhotography

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:47 am »

This should probably be on another thread, but let's see if anyone here has the answer: my recently bought 'phone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace (sounds like a 50s car), has a 5mp camera, but I can't discover how to get the jpegs into the computer in order to try them out. The instructions on the web tell us to buy a Samsung software thinggy; can't one simply use the USB cable supplied to do the job in PS without buying yet more junk? So far, I have a couple of family shots on the thing and there they will remain if more buying is the only route out!  I did plug in that USB cable supplied, but all I received as info was that the computer was missing the appropriate software....

8-(

Rob C

Rob, you can mount the phone and use it as a mass storage device then simply drag 'n drop images from the phone to the computer.  The Samsung software doesn't cost anything.  It's free to download from the Samsung site.  Not sure what software your phone uses but based on what I'm seeing on the Samsung Canada site, it looks like it might be Kies Air.  This transfers files over a wireless network.  If you don't have a wireless router then you won't be able to use it.  I'm using a Galaxy S II LTE so it could be a bit different, but to mount the phone as a USB mass storage device, connect the cable to the computer, on the phone open the Settings and select 'Wireless and network' or the equivalent on your phone.  Then go to 'USB Utilities' (or equivalent) and click the button to connect to the PC.  You'll be prompted to connect the cable to the phone.  Once that's done, you should be able to see the phone in your drive hierarchy in Windows Explorer then simply drag 'n drop.  When you're done, click to Disconnect.

Actually, scratch that.  I just checked again and your phone does use the Kies software (not Kies Air).  If you go to the local Samsung site into the Support area, find your phone it will be in the available downloads.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:09:48 am by BobFisher »

JBerardi

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2011, 11:26:46 am »

It is possible that, if Adobe does in fact go this route, there will be other software companies that step up and offer serious alternatives to Adobe Products.  The talent and the ability is out there, there just has not been a real demand as far as I know.  Maybe Adobe will create an environment that encourages competition.  That could be a good thing for us.  And a stupid move for Adobe.

I certainly hope so. I mean, is there any mystery about what Adobe is doing here? They're jacking up the price of their software, period. They can give whatever convoluted explanation (they're good at those)they want; it's a price increase, plain and simple. And why not? People rely on these applications and there's a real lack of serious alternatives in many cases. So sure, if the bottom line is looking a little thin, squeeze your best customers for a little extra cash. It's not like they have a choice. What's customer satisfaction and the long term viability of the company worth in the face of increased short term profits? It's no wonder Adobe has a hard time giving a straight answer about their decisions.   

With this attitude towards pricing and their customers in general, there's probably more daylight for a serious Photoshop competitor than there has been in a decade. I'd love to see it. Adobe clearly needs someone to keep them honest.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2011, 11:38:32 am »

I'm surprised so few are commenting on the price. With cloud/subscription you're paying the full price of the software once every year and a half. You'd have to be insane to a) do it b) think it's a good idea. What possible advantage could it have?
Have you got the pricing right? This announcement of $50 a month gets you the Creative Suite Master Collection (plus all these iThingy apps) which is currently $2600 to buy or currently $130 a month subscription.

Update:  OK, currently Photoshop alone is $50 a month subscription, $999 new.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:44:16 am by johnbeardy »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »

It's the oldest trick in the book, mostly used by politicians: make an outragous announcement going well beyond what you actually want, and if/when the backlash is strong enough take a step back and you end up with what you wanted in the first place. You'll look like you're listening to your customer's needs, or you might even pull off the outrageousness.

Adobe has bad timing from another perspective: GIMP 3.0 will have 16-bit editing, and should be out around the same time as next PS. GIMP is free, so are the upgrades.

Rob C

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »

Actually, scratch that.  I just checked again and your phone does use the Kies software (not Kies Air).  If you go to the local Samsung site into the Support area, find your phone it will be in the available downloads.

Okay, I'll try that route, Bob; thanks for taking time out to help!

Rob C

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2011, 07:17:54 am »

It's been 3-4 years now that, in most business meetings I have been with software developers/publishers, I hear "we can use the cloud (any variation) to make more money, to better control our users, to smooth the revenue curve, etc..."  Software as a Service is seen as the panacea that addresses both the general downtrend in software prices (except in markets where there are significant barriers to entry or a captive customer base) and the eventual piracy issue. I haven't seen a case where the motivation was "so the customer gets more for less money". The only logically reasonable argument in favour of renting is that it will cost less if you only need it for short amount of times. But while this makes sense for cameras or lighting gear, everyone knows this is not what will happen with Photoshop et al.

There are of course real advantages to "the cloud' because it allows stuff that wouldn't have been possible a while ago (dropbox, amazon ec, on-line backups, etc...) but forcefully bringing techs that are essentially identical to what they were 15-20 years ago to "the cloud" by ways of legalese and licensing changes if fishy, and always to the disadvantage of the customer.

Stuff that would make sense, especially when upstream bandwidth has made some progress, would for example be to rent a rendering cloud for a few hours. That provides a clear benefit to the user. Leveraging the "cloud" concept to enforce stricter licensing terms and higher prices does not, no matter how they spin it.

But I guess this creates jobs in marketing departments who have to be more creative than ever to implant the idea that this is of benefit to us...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up