Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Size Exhibition/ 5d & 5dmkII  (Read 1505 times)

MarkSe

Print Size Exhibition/ 5d & 5dmkII
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:54:04 pm »

I know its a matter of personal taste but i still would like to ask:
whats the largest size you would print images made by 5d & 5dmkII for an exhibition? (architectural photos)

torger

Re: Print Size Exhibition/ 5d & 5dmkII
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:12:09 pm »

If you'd like you can print them as large as you like, they'll look good on a distance and a bit unsharp up close.

For 200 ppi or more (preferable) you can do quite aggressive sharpening for printing and get a sharp look. At very low resolution (say 100 ppi) I would minimize sharpening to avoid visible "jaggies", but acceptable results can be produced also at this low ppi. Do a test print of a small part of a high contrast area to see how it looks.

200 ppi yields 28x19 inches (71x47 cm) in the (unlikely?) event of printing a 3:2 format picture. At 100 ppi you get 56x37 inches.

Personally, I feel like I'm compromising when going below 200 ppi though, I kind of like to be able to look very close and still appriciate detail.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Print Size Exhibition/ 5d & 5dmkII
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:43:01 pm »

Depending on the content of your architectural photos, particularly if the images have clearly defined lines, you may get good results with one of the commercial up-rezing programs. If they have small, fussy details, not so much, and you might get artifacts such as moire, but I've had success with significant up-rezing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up