Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 85mm f/2.8D PC-E NIKKOR & D700  (Read 2751 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
85mm f/2.8D PC-E NIKKOR & D700
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:55 am »

Hello,

I want to know if this lens work well with the D700, I heard there is possible problems. Does any of you use it ?

Thanks by advance,

H.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: 85mm f/2.8D PC-E NIKKOR & D700
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:45:37 am »

I use my D700 and several DX bodies with the original version of the 85mm PC for painting reproduction and product illustration in my studio. I've even used my modified TC-14e with this lens for additional focal length. No issues with image quality.

There are only two minor issues that I deal with. The first is that the aperture display is whacky and show say f/53 when the ring is turned to say f/8.  No big deal and since I've had the lens for a dozen years... The other issue is that I sometimes forget to push the stop-down plunger.  One shot is usually enough to remind me.

I've also aligned the tilt and shift to the same axis  since that seems to be more useful for my style of shooting. It's just four screws and takes a couple of minutes, but don't try this at home!;-)

I also use the 24PC-E. Very useable but the flash cover of the D200/300/700 does get in the way when you rotate the lens when it is shifted in certain circumstances.

I'd say that the newer 85PC-E should work swell with the D700.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:28:06 am »

Thank you very much Langier.

I'm esitating between the 85 PC-E and the AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G, to be honnest :)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:13:03 pm »

They are two different lenses for two different uses.

Though the 85 PC-E can be used off-tripod, it's like turning back the clock 50 years to manual, stop-down and focus. It can be done, but very slowly.

The 85mm 1.4 and 1.8 (about 2/3rds stop slower), are like a Ferrari and a Porsche, sleek and fast and great for working closely and in low light.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

gubaguba

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:47:49 pm »

The PC-E and the 1.4 are two different lenses with very different usages.  The PC-E is a perspective control lens and is manual focus great for when your application needs it.  The 1.4 is a portrait lens shallow depth of field. They both excellent lenses.  I have both I don't consider them interchangeable.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:47 am »

The PC-E and the 1.4 are two different lenses with very different usages.  The PC-E is a perspective control lens and is manual focus great for when your application needs it.  The 1.4 is a portrait lens shallow depth of field. They both excellent lenses.  I have both I don't consider them interchangeable.

I know they are two different lenses. Im just try to choose because I will have money only for one (if I had enough money I would buy both ;) ).

I just want a very good glass both for portraiture and landscape.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:54 pm »

If you can only afford one at the moment, my advice is to go for the 85G - unless everything you shoot is landscape or architectural.

stever

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54:19 am »

a tilt shift lens in this focal length is pretty specialized.  too long for most architectural use.  fine for landscape even without the tilt-shift because it's a very sharp lens, tilt and shift could be useful for urban landscapes.  it's best for product photography, and macro of static subjects.

can be used for general photography anywhere manual focus is comfortable
Pages: [1]   Go Up