Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Install Imageprint 6 on Windows 7 Pro?  (Read 1972 times)

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
Anyone Install Imageprint 6 on Windows 7 Pro?
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:38:04 am »

I have been using Imageprint v 6 for many years on an XP machine. Recently I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Professional. I Managed to install Imageprint and have set the applications to XP with service pack 2 in the windows compatibility utility. Everything seems ok until I go to licence the Printer (Epson 9800) I can see the dongle number appear but when I enter the ecryption key I get an error message "unable to authorize file".

Just windering if anyone here has managed to get IP6 running on W7? Any tips please?

Thanks
John

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Anyone Install Imageprint 6 on Windows 7 Pro?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:51:05 am »

John,

While I don't own imageprint, problems like this are often because the application is trying to write somewhere protected and isn't run elevated (even though I think compat mode should help with that). Try right clicking on ImagePrint, selecting Run as Administrator, and then go through the license process.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

buckshot

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:03:48 am »

I've been down this route with IP6 and Vista. I did get it to work, but after one of (many) Microsoft updates it stopped for some reason. From memory, the problem always seemed to relate to the drivers necessary to run the dongle. The only long term solution (which I still use) was to install a virtual copy of Windows XP via VMWare and then run IP from there - works perfectly, though a small PITA having to boot up XP every time I want to print.

JohnAONeill

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:31:33 pm »

Thanks for the help. Actually you can get a 64 bit driver upgrade cor the dongle which should sort that issue out. Having researched further it would appear that you can install an xp emulator (available on windows website) this will allow you to run a virtual copy of xp on a win7 pc. you can install xp programs with this and even run them from within the win 7 window! I may try to set this up but would like to hear from users if they have already done this! Don't want to mess up a clean os install if there are further issues EG with dongle running on Win 7!

Thanks again
John

JohnAONeill

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:19 pm »

Thanks Neil
Tried that but still no Joy:-(

buckshot

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »

Thanks for the help. Actually you can get a 64 bit driver upgrade cor the dongle which should sort that issue out. Having researched further it would appear that you can install an xp emulator (available on windows website) this will allow you to run a virtual copy of xp on a win7 pc. you can install xp programs with this and even run them from within the win 7 window! I may try to set this up but would like to hear from users if they have already done this! Don't want to mess up a clean os install if there are further issues EG with dongle running on Win 7!

Thanks again
John

From memory it wasn't just the dongle drivers that were the problem, I seem to remember having to use the .exe file from IP7 to get the whole thing moving. I don't have any experience with the XP emulator, but the VMWare setup is pretty much bullet proof - particularly when it comes to managing peripherals that are 'plugged in' to the virtual copy of XP whilst at the same time being 'plugged in' to Vista (in my case, Windows 7 in yours) as well.

JohnAONeill

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

That's interesting what you say about the v7 .exe. Might look in to that too;-)
I have no experience with vmware or any virtual solutions. Right now I cannot aford to buy in more software to fix this. I think the virtual xp solution is offered foc to win 7 clients but with the caveat that your processor will support VM. Not even sure if my dell precision 690 does though I would hope so as it was an expensive and well speced machine! If I could find out if anyone else was sucessful with the win7 vm solution I would be more incluned to dive in. Hate to be first to open that can of worms :-)
Cheers John
Pages: [1]   Go Up