Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX announced - March 2012 availability  (Read 104655 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:25:33 am by BernardLanguillier »

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Re: Canon EOS 1DX announced - March 2012 availability
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:08 am »

Rob Galbraith, "Going forward, the EOS-1D X will be the only 1-series camera the company makes"

Looks like 18MP is all we are going to get out of Canon in a pro camera?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:24:57 am »

t appears to be a replacement for both the 1d4 and 1ds3.

Hi Bernhard,

I think it's a replacement for the 1D Mark IV. The only reason that they went from a 1.3 crop to almost 24x36mm, with some 18 MP, is to get larger sensels for light sensitivity and dynamic range. The whole AF system seems to be geared at more accurate and wider coverage across the frame, and for speed. Sounds like an improved Mk4 to me.

I wouldn't dismiss the possibility for a 1Ds X just yet ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:35:07 am »

Rob Galbraith, "Going forward, the EOS-1D X will be the only 1-series camera the company makes"

Looks like 18MP is all we are going to get out of Canon in a pro camera?

Indeed, that's what I read in the various statements. It might for sure be seen by some photographers as a reduced focus on high end, but there might be more to it than just numbers on a spec sheet. As mentioned in other threads, the performance of a camera has to be measured and the 1DX could be a very good performer. Considering the time it took to come up with this new sensor, we should expect at least 13+ stops of DR and very clean ISO 25600.

Globally though, some guys must be laughing out loud in the Nikon HQ, because it very much looks like Canon is following all the trends they defined with the D3/D3s/D700.

Right now, the Canon users needing higher resolution in a single frame from a tough/splashproof body might be a bit concerned. However, my bet is that Canon did also copy the spec sheet of the D700 when they designed the 5DIII. :)

If the Nikon rumors have to be believed, Nikon would also continue in the same direction with a 18MP D4 and a 36MP D800. Then everything will be at peace again between these 2 best enemies in the world. ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

DeeJay

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:00 am »

18MP 1Ds replacement?

I really don't get this. Is this some kind of a joke?

stevesanacore

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:28:34 am »

18MP 1Ds replacement?

I'm with you on this. At first glance it seems to have the same specs as my T2i Rebel, albeit with more dynamic range and less noise which I could care less about. And for $6800? Does any 1D user need full frame? This is insulting to Canon 1Ds users who depend on our cameras for landscapes and architectural work. What are they thinking?
We don't know what we don't know.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 05:41:39 am »

I'm with you on this. At first glance it seems to have the same specs as my T2i Rebel, albeit with more dynamic range and less noise which I could care less about. And for $6800? Does any 1D user need full frame? This is insulting to Canon 1Ds users who depend on our cameras for landscapes and architectural work. What are they thinking?

They are thinking that this 18mp camera is better than the previous 21mp camera in ANY aspects. And they are thinking that if you want more pixel, you are free to go MF.

Logical and so real.

I totally endorse Canon move around this part that's clever and courageous.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:43:16 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:49:16 am »

Its pointless debating the pros and cons of Canons decision to release this 'merged' 1 series camera until such time as 'files' become available for pixel peeping.

The mere announcement won't see my selling my 1DS MKIII or 1D MKIV - not until I see a file from the 1DX that blows them both away (and I don't mean at ISO 1 million... but rather at the sort of ISO I tend to shoot at (between 100 and 800).

Edit - It looks like the first file samples (low rez) are starting to appear http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/index.html
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:03:50 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:11:28 am »

Again, let's wait for DxOMark measurements before killing this cam on specs alone, this isn't DPreview, is it?

Besides, the 1ds3 remains an excellent camera. I would be interested in understanding what exactly is wrong with it for architecture or landscape applications.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:16:04 am »

I'd assume the 5D3 will carry the megapixels but at half the fps and with the AF of the 7D. Most people who need the AF and speed of the new 1DX do not need more than 18 megapixels.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 06:51:09 am »

I'd assume the 5D3 will carry the megapixels but at half the fps and with the AF of the 7D. Most people who need the AF and speed of the new 1DX do not need more than 18 megapixels.

I guess that fashion for instance would probably need both the AF speed/accuracy and resolution, but probably indeed not the fps.

Now, it remains to be seen whether he 5DIII will be fully splashproofed or not, that would be important for all round landscape work. I would think that it will be, a la D700.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:53:39 am by BernardLanguillier »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:24 am »

Hi,

I guess that it could be that the mysterious 5DIII may be the 1Ds replacement. The 1DX is intended for folks needing high ISO, high FPS and very solid body. A cheaper, lighter and slower specified body for those needing high resolution. May make sense.

Best regards
Erik

18MP 1Ds replacement?

Erik Kaffehr

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 07:14:04 am »

Isn't it overpriced, at roughly $7,000?

Great video specs (50Mbps is fantastic, with continuous recording) - but at a price point that is higher than an AF100 or FS100? Tough sell.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Mr S

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:46 am »

Hi,

I guess that it could be that the mysterious 5DIII may be the 1Ds replacement. The 1DX is intended for folks needing high ISO, high FPS and very solid body. A cheaper, lighter and slower specified body for those needing high resolution.

Exactly. The 5DII already made the 1DsIII redundant in several ways.
Rather than being replaced by the 1Dx, the 1Ds series is being discontinued - they've only kept the price of the 1Ds series and put that on the new 1Dx. That's what they mean by replacement  :)

A new 5D will be the camera for those who need more MP. I'm guessing it will have some '1Ds-series-features' too, which will probably make it more expensive than the 5DII too.

Edit: I just hope the 1Dx will be the camera to buy for people who think they really need to spend 7000$, and that de 5DIII won't be that expensive.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:35:13 am by Mr S »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:50:07 am »

I guess that fashion for instance would probably need both the AF speed/accuracy and resolution, but probably indeed not the fps.

Now, it remains to be seen whether he 5DIII will be fully splashproofed or not, that would be important for all round landscape work. I would think that it will be, a la D700.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm not sure, the AF system in the 7D is already very good, far far better than the 5DII and as most studio work is done stopped down, I think it would be enough. I think the 5D3 will be a 7D (which is somewhat sealed, has a pro build and semi pro AF) but with a zillion megapixels.

The one I'm interested in now is the D4. The 1DX has now pretty much equaled the specs of the D3/s (after years) and has upped the resolution and iso, I very much doubt Nikon are not upping both the body and the IQ so let's just hope to heck they don't see the price of this new canon monster and say 'hey let's get some of this incredible overpricing action!'.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 08:02:20 am »

very smart Move Canon !
The enhancement in Detail is where the juice is in this camera.
Larger Pixels, seamless microlenses, over 200000 Asa, less moire, better Video, more than 4 gig recording......
very , very good. Kudos for a company NOT listening to the megapixel crowd but instead making a camera that will stand out by usability and quality.

I knew the Japanese are clever people. Proof is done again.

greetings from Munich
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:19 am »

Frankly Canon has done what I wish Nikon would have done. If the new D800 really is 36mp I have no use for it - the large files it will generate would mean buying a new computer for me as I have maxed out my current setup. I was looking for the D700 replacement to have exactly what Canon has announced - 18mp. A modest boost in mp for cropping purposes is all I need.

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
Only 18 MP? Are you kidding?
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:13 am »

Canon wants me to replace my 3-year old 1Ds Mk3 with a camera that has only 18 MP compared to 22 MP? Are they crazy?
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:27:38 am »

With this camera, IMO, Canon is clearly stating that the 1-series belongs to the sports shooter. There is nothing on spec that shows improvement for the landscape photographers over the 1Ds mkIII.

They want us to use the 1Dx and upsample...!  Notice the words "good enough"...

"With cleaner images, people are going to feel much more comfortable up-rezing an image. Not many people need a 21MP file to begin with, so they're going to love the IQ of this camera and the quality's good enough that those people who do need those huge files will find the images clean enough to use them.'"

Araz

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:29 am »

Frankly Canon has done what I wish Nikon would have done. If the new D800 really is 36mp I have no use for it - the large files it will generate would mean buying a new computer for me as I have maxed out my current setup. I was looking for the D700 replacement to have exactly what Canon has announced - 18mp. A modest boost in mp for cropping purposes is all I need.

What makes you think that the D800 will be the only camera to be released by Nikon?

The rumored D4 should be exactly what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up