Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on using Nikkor on 5D2  (Read 2382 times)

desy

Advice on using Nikkor on 5D2
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:03:03 pm »

Hoping to find knowledgeable input here on the following:
I've just purchased a 5D2, and am switching to Canon from Nikon. I'm hoping to use a couple of manual focus Nikkors that I own on the 5D2, specifically a 28 f2.8 and a 200 f4. These two lenses are either Ai or Ais, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I'm okay with these two lenses, but wondered if someone was able to confirm that I'm safe to use these without risk of damaging the mirror etc. on the 5D2.

In the reading I've done, it seems like certain Nikkors can pose a risk because of a protective piece of metal that was added to the back to help protect the glass. I don't think there's anything unusual about the backs of these two lenses, could post a photo if it would be helpful.

Appreciate any input that could ease my slight anxiety about the possibility of damaging my new camera. Thanks.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: Advice on using Nikkor on 5D2
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:25:42 am »

I own a 550D and use a Nikon 28mm f2.8 with a cheap adapter I bought on Deal Extreme. No experience with 200 f4.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:41:17 am »

I've just purchased a 5D2, and am switching to Canon from Nikon.

Wow, talk of a great timing, I hope for you that these rumors are wrong... :-)

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/09/nikon-d800-specs-recap.aspx/

Cheers,
Bernard

desy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 02:47:03 am »

I own a 550D and use a Nikon 28mm f2.8 with a cheap adapter I bought on Deal Extreme. No experience with 200 f4.

Thanks for the input. My understanding is that there can be problems with certain lenses on the 5D2 that don't occur with the APS sensor cameras because of the larger mirror on the full frame.

desy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:24 am »

I hope for my sake they're wrong too  :) I'm pretty much at peace with my decision though.

Cheers,
Bernard

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:02 am »

Thanks for the input. My understanding is that there can be problems with certain lenses on the 5D2 that don't occur with the APS sensor cameras because of the larger mirror on the full frame.
In www.16-9.net they have tested the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AI-s successfully on an EOS 5D, (not 5d mkii) but It should therefore work. Its a pity if it proves not to be usable, its one of the best lenses ever made! I own this for 23 years ....irreplaceable. I have never test it on my 5d (I only use leitzR 28, 50 & 90 there) but on my D700 its a gem. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:23:40 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

Unless you absolutely must purchase a new camera, late summer and early fall have traditionally (as much as there are traditions) been the times when Nikon and Canon announce new generations of cameras.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:41:00 am »

Hoping to find knowledgeable input here on the following:
I've just purchased a 5D2, and am switching to Canon from Nikon. I'm hoping to use a couple of manual focus Nikkors that I own on the 5D2, specifically a 28 f2.8 and a 200 f4. These two lenses are either Ai or Ais, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I'm okay with these two lenses, but wondered if someone was able to confirm that I'm safe to use these without risk of damaging the mirror etc. on the 5D2.

In the reading I've done, it seems like certain Nikkors can pose a risk because of a protective piece of metal that was added to the back to help protect the glass. I don't think there's anything unusual about the backs of these two lenses, could post a photo if it would be helpful.

Appreciate any input that could ease my slight anxiety about the possibility of damaging my new camera. Thanks.
I have both  cheap (Fotodiox and an expensive (made by the late S.K Grimes - but I don't think his namesake company still makes them - the equivalent is Novoflex) Nikon F mount to Canon EOS body adapter rings . Functionally there should be no difference but the expensive one certainly feels better in use.

I tried several samples of the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S based on the recommendations I'd read from some guy out in southern California. I should have known better than to trust that particular source but more fool me.  On the Nikon and Canon digital bodies I used it on  they were all junk - a lot of chromatic aberrations and fringing  on full frame bodies like the D3 and Canon 1Ds Mark II. Maybe you'll have better look with yours.

desy

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

Thanks for the feedback folks. I have read some of the reviews on 16-9, and you're right, he has used that lens with no problems on the 5D. Actually, his comparison is one of the things that encouraged me to buy the lens in the first place. I'm guessing that I'll be okay then, and think I remember reading something that long focal lengths don't tend to be a problem, it's more the wide angle lenses that you have to be concerned about.

Since I already own the lenses and quite like them (albeit on a D200), for the price of an adapter (I've ordered the Haoda one and am waiting for it to arrive) I'm happy to experiment and if it turns out they don't "shine" on the 5D2 I'll just sell them off and look at something else. Just wanted to ease my mind that I'm not at risk of damaging my new camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up