Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf 8100 Problems  (Read 4550 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Canon ipf 8100 Problems
« on: October 12, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »

My lightly used 8100 just called for a left printhead replacement. I just replaced it last year! Is it common with Canon printers to have to replace printheads so often? I have printed about two 44 inch rolls and one 36 inch roll plus about 50 8x10`s in this time.  I made a 30x40 on canvas about a week ago and I leave it turned on all the time so there shouldn`t be a problem with the heads drying out? Is the Epson 9900 a high maintenance printer? I`m ready to switch brands!
Mike

MHMG

Re: Canon ipf 8100 Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:08:07 am »

I also have an iPF 8100 as well as an 8300, both getting relatively light use since I'm an individual photographer/printmaker not a print shop. Had no need for the 8300 but got it on one of those Canon USA rebates + free ipad deals from Lexjet that brought the price down to about the replacement cost of the new set of inks which comes with each iPF printer. My 8100 lost a printhead a little after one year, but Canon USA replaced free of charge. The phone support guy said the original heads had been redesigned. They are now identical to the 8300. My 8300 also had a head go bad after about a year and a half. Canon didn't offer a free head on that situation, but next the new replacement head died within one year after that, and Canon does replace any head that goes bad before one year. So, you might want to call Canon and see if your second bad head can be replaced at no charge.

After that incident, I began to pay more attention to my daily/weekly usage. Like you, both my machines are lightly used. Even though I leave them on, I noticed that if left unused for a week or so, they never auto initiate a cleaning cycle when not in use, but they did always initiate a cleaning cycle right as I  spooled the first print. This cleaning pattern thus seems to be initiated by a simple timer cycle that keeps track of the time between print jobs, and it causes a huge amount of wasted ink ending up in the maintenance cartridge. So, about three months ago I decided to implement a simple nozzle check every other day on each machine. I just feed each unit a letter size cut sheet of plain paper and instruct each printer to run a nozzle check. The nozzle check exercises all the print channels including both blacks and uses only a negligible amount of ink. And much to my pleasant surprise, every nozzle check has been coming out perfect, so no further cleaning cycle is required and the forced head cleaning cycles at the beginning of actual print job do not occur. I'm saving a huge amount of ink now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that head life will improve as well. Anyway, even with two head replacements over the past few years and one blown motherboard (replaced under warranty), my overall sense is that although these Canon iPF printers are designed for much heavier use, they are still a relatively trouble-free choice for individual users who don't subject them to heavy usage.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:13:12 am by MHMG »

Bullfrog

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:16:11 am »

Some attached threads indicate problems on 8300 with printer heads and light useage

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=81134.0

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=77785.msg623010;topicseen#msg623010

Not sure about 8100 - but I have a 6100 and in my 5th year with very light usage at times (last year was next to nil because I was away for 7 months) - and no print head problems or other mechanical failures.  I keep it on 24/7 and to my knowledge it does its agitation and nozzle checks on a regular basis.  I assume the same is true for the 8100.  But (added this after reading above post) I agree that the cleaning routine is intiated when I go to print - but not always, so its a case of if the printer has been idle for a longish period of time.

I guess I have to read the manual again - haven't because so far, things are working fine as is.

My own thinking is that if I was going to go big, the 8400 is a more reliable /better printer but the problems reported on the 8300 have really left me wondering if I were to upsize would I stay with canon.  Truth be told, the Epson printers *x900* appear to be equally problematic if lightly used - except instead of print head replacement you have  constant clogs.

I guess you pick your poison.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:22:13 am by Bullfrog »

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 12:52:36 pm »

I saw a YouTube video where they took a q-tip dipped in cleaning solution then wiped off the nozzles. Has anyone tried this?

KatManDEW

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:53 pm »

I saw a YouTube video where they took a q-tip dipped in cleaning solution then wiped off the nozzles. Has anyone tried this?

I just saw that but I don't understand the language. I went to the website mentioned in the video and sent them a message. Did you try it? I've done it with the head on my Canon i9900 (dye based ink). It wasn't really a big deal. Judging by the number of videos on Youtube, it's pretty common to do with less expensive dye based printers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up