Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ180 Vs. 8X10 film article  (Read 82483 times)

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
Re: IQ180 Vs. 8X10 film article
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 09:03:20 am »

I have not yet read any of the previous posts as I was busy writing this post. Apologies if some have already addressed the points I make here.

This is a commentary on the recent article by Markus Zuber, published on Luminous Landscape. If you haven’t read it yet : http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/iq180_vs_8x10.shtml

Markus Zuber’s article raises a number of issues, both technical and philosophical.

One of the challenges is raising these comparisons is the question of whether one is talking about one as a replacement for the other or simply using one as a benchmark to measure the other against. Markus doesn’t make his approach clear, but most times I have witnessed or participated in this discussion, the underlying implication is one of “Is X good enough to replace Y”.
I’d suggest that there is another approach that can add a different perspective to the discussion. Asking the question “What are the capabilities of X and what new opportunities/methods does is offer for image making”.  One of the problems with the approach of comparing something new with the older thing you have been using is that it focuses your attention on an implied assumption that what you were doing was the “right way”.  It’s sometimes helpful to ignore the tried and true and look for new possibilities. For me, the arrival of my IQ180 a few months back has been a revelation.

Live focus is a huge asset on the IQ series backs. It is particularly valuable when using longer lenses with tech cameras. I mostly use it when shooting interiors with ultra-wides and when using a close foreground element to lead the eye from in my landscapes. I do not understand why anyone would even attempt to use a groundglass to focus an ALPA if you are shooting on a MFDB. For one thing, the image is too small and the groundglass image too coarse to make meaningful judgements. Forget about seeing anything of value outside the centre of image with wider lenses. Even if you do manage to make meaningful focus settings on the groundglass, it is very hard to ensure that your sensor is in the same plane as your groundglass. With and ALPA, the shimming of backs gives you precision to the 100ths of a millimetre, one of this systems major strengths.  You risk losing that precision using a GG to focus. As someone who once did more than 90% of his professional work on a view camera, I understand the comfort of relying on the method you have used with great success in the past. However, the precision required by tech cams and MFDB renders GG focusing obsolete. {Of course, if you are shooting film on your ALPA, the n a GG is valuable but not infallible}. Before I shot with my IQ180, I would guestimate or laser the distance, then rely on the accuracy of ALPA’s HPF rings to give me a strike rate on focus approaching 100% with both my P45+ and P65+. For me, the IQ back on my Alpa is the best workflow I have ever had on an tech cam, as far as focus is concerned. Lets not forget that GG focussing meand exposing your sensor to a lot more risk from impact damage and dust ingress….

Marks statement “ Knowing well that the AF does not really serve well at least with the 55” has me wondering if his generalization means I’ve missed out on some commonly known wisdom. I happen to own the 55, 80 and 110 Schneiders and they focus spot-on in AF. I have a few friends who have no focus problems with their 55’s in AF mode.

These tests clearly demonstrate what many have known for some time – that the “legendary” status of 8x10 as the image quality champion is just that – a legend. The need to shoot at f32 or smaller has always meant that diffraction significantly degrades image quality. Other problems common to large format sheet film such as the lack of film flatness (resulting in the film plane not being in the same place as your groundglass) further compound the problem. The tonality and creaminess often attributed to 8x10 are really a lack of true resolution masked by the fact that many 8x10 images were printed at relatively modest magnification. I make prints from my P65+, Aptus 12 and my IQ180 at sizes exceeding 1.5meters that a print from an 8x10 image simply cannot come close to matching for absolute resolution and edge-to-edge sharpness.  The fact that I can achieve  this extraordinary outcome with a package as small as an Alpa STC with an IQ180 and a couple of lenses of the extraordinary quality available from Rodenstock, Schneider, Alpa etc is the truly exciting thing about being a photographer in this day and age.  The 8x10 is the champ argument simply does not stand up and has not for some time. Your test prove this yet again.

A word of caution about diffraction. MF tech cam lenses of recent design are optimised for use at much larger apertures than conventional wisdom suggests. This is compounded by pixel-level diffraction increasing as pixel sizes get smaller. My 23HR digaron for example, is noticeably softer at f16 than at f8 on my IQ180. The difference was not as obvious on my P65+ which has slightly larger pixels. However, this lens is so good, I am happy shooting at f5.6, provided I can focus accurately.

“The film could easily reveal more details, if they would be projected to it’s surface”. Actually, this is one of the Achilles heels of film, especially colour emulsions. Because film is made by layering several layers of emulsion, each sensitive to different wavelengths of light, on top of each other, light striking the top surface us progressively scattered or diffused as it penetrates the emulsion stack to reach the lower layers.  As such, the image on the lower emulsion layer is more diffused (less resolution and contrast) than at the surface. The corrollory of this is that with digital sensors, there is a flat plane and therefore a lot to be gained by precise placement of focus. Hence Alpa’s shimming of backs is of even greater significance with digital backs. The sensor, if properly placed, can utilize the resolution delivered by the lens, where film could not maximize this.

“Film could easily reveal more details”. How? As you’ve already demonstrated, an IQ180 (and by logical extension, the Aptus12) on a tech cam such as an Alpa can outresolve 8x10 film. Add to this the fact that the IQ180 has not one but several more stops more dynamic range than film (The Kodak and Fuji tranny films I used to use had 6.3 stops range in normal E6 processing) as well.
IQ 180 files record and reveal much, much more detail than any colour or monochromatic film I have ever used.

“As we have seen with all Phase One backs, it is very important to get as much to the right as possible (I assume Markus means on the histogram). Underexposed images suffer from noise and bad colours”. Hmmm…. I’m curious, does this mean there is a manufacturer out there with a back for which this is not true?(I want one!!) I’ve owned or shot with backs from Phase, Leaf, Hasselblad, Kodak, Sinar, Canon and Nikon and this is true for all of them.  It’s fair to say that all current MF backs are much more tolerant of exposure error than any colour emulsion made. Ever push-processed a colour film more than a stop? You get grainy shadows (read: Noise) and massive colour shifts. In fact not just linear colour shifts but significant colour crossovers. The IQ180 in particular, easily outperforms film in this regard, and all other backs with the possible exception of its stable-mate, the Aptus 12.
I own both, so I’m speaking from first-hand experience. I’m not sure what Markus’s point is in the context of a comparison between 8x10 film and the IQ180. Yes, if you underexpose significantly with this back, you get noise and colour shifts, but in my view, much less than if you underexposed film the same amount.

I fail to understand how the screen in the IQ displays an image from a 110mm lens any differently from a 28mm. It’s displaying the same proportion of both images at whatever percentage of magnification you’ve chosen.  It’s value as a focus checking device seems to me to be identical whatever lens I attach.

On the subject of the IQ180’s performance as a B&W device, it is astounding. I shot a lot of large format monochrome in my film days and am well versed with advanced zone system and processing/printing techniques. I have also shot extensively with the Phase One Achromatic back. For panchromatic use (I have not tested IR or UV applications), the IQ180 is simply the best B&W device I have ever shot with. It has much more dynamic range than film, higher resolution than 8x10 film (as Markus has shown us) and with precise use of advanced post-processing techniques, capable of delivering a richness of tone and detail I’ve never seen before.

The kicker for me is that we now have a back which, combined with our camera of choice (I use mine on Alpa STC, Phase 645DF and Fuji GX680 platforms) is able to realistically deliver quality that exceeds 8x10 on a number of levels, is much more portable, user friendly and incredibly versatile. It has already altered the way I work in a number of ways and opened up imagemaking possibilities I had not imagined possible even a couple of years ago.

A big thank you to Markus for taking the time not only to run these tests, but also for taking the time to document and share it with us all.

With respect,

Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 10:16:14 am »

On the subject of the IQ180’s performance as a B&W device, it is astounding. I shot a lot of large format monochrome in my film days and am well versed with advanced zone system and processing/printing techniques. I have also shot extensively with the Phase One Achromatic back. For panchromatic use (I have not tested IR or UV applications), the IQ180 is simply the best B&W device I have ever shot with. It has much more dynamic range than film, higher resolution than 8x10 film (as Markus has shown us) and with precise use of advanced post-processing techniques, capable of delivering a richness of tone and detail I’ve never seen before.

I have tested IR (not UV) on a P21 IR, P45+ IR, and Ahromatic Plus and will be testing a Leaf Aptus IR back next month.

Having shot medium format and large format (never 8x10) IR films from Macophot, Kodak, and Ilford I have absolutely zero desire to ever shoot IR film again. You want to talk about the benefits of modern digital photography? Learning to expose IR film (when visible light and IR light are only loosely correlated in changing light situations) is part education, part zen, and part luck. Learning to focus IR film for a specific lens is at best a game of translating any IR mark which is on the lens and adjusting for the band of IR light you are filtering for, and at worst a crap shoot - stopping down to CYA.

The post-processing flexibility is also enormously useful (to my needs/desires) since (to me) IR imagery lends itself to more liberal/aggressive/ethereal styling since it is already a recording based on light which is not visible.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 11:31:26 am »

... I simply remember the numerous (very) large prints I have seen from 8x10", up to 4 x 3 m, and I as well remember the resolution/sharpness I could see with my eyes in front of it... this "softness" was always there, at close observation of these prints...

As someone who saw huge prints from 8x10 (by Michael Fatali), I remember many words coming to my mind (and staying there, as the print quality left me speechless)... but one word was never there: "softness".

siebel

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »

As someone who saw huge prints from 8x10 (by Michael Fatali), I remember many words coming to my mind (and staying there, as the print quality left me speechless)... but one word was never there: "softness".

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you. No more is that true.
Bryan Siebel

www.bryansiebel.com

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 12:53:49 pm »

As somebody who does shoot 8x10, I have a couple of thoughts:

1) Whatever the math and/or technical analysis says, quite frankly there is something about the look, the contrast, the tonality of a large print made from an 8x10 negative that I personally haven't seen in other formats.  That's my impression, your mileage may and will vary.

2) The flip side of the coin here is this:  how many of you have actually hauled an 8x10 into the field?      After spending a week in hospital for hernia repair a few years ago, you wanna know something - even if  every "expert" in the world came out and said 8x10 was better than anything else on the planet,      it's gotta be pretty darned major or important for me to haul that big beast out. 

I'm completely serious about that point.  I think it's almost  moot to argue optics, pixels, microscope, grain, diffraction - whatever - unless you ground yourself first the  real world applicaiton of how often do you haul around a big camera like that.   Maybe the question should be along the lines, for a given situation or location, what is the biggest camera you can take with you, and in that case, does or will it make a difference.

If not, hey, I seen guys do 20x24 contact prints if you really want to push the envelope...
:)

theguywitha645d

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »

1) Whatever the math and/or technical analysis says, quite frankly there is something about the look, the contrast, the tonality of a large print made from an 8x10 negative that I personally haven't seen in other formats.  That's my impression, your mileage may and will vary.

+1

Process matters.

siebel

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 01:14:33 pm »

As somebody who does shoot 8x10, I have a couple of thoughts:

2) The flip side of the coin here is this:  how many of you have actually hauled an 8x10 into the field?      After spending a week in hospital for hernia repair a few years ago, you wanna know something - even if  every "expert" in the world came out and said 8x10 was better than anything else on the planet,      it's gotta be pretty darned major or important for me to haul that big beast out. 

I'm completely serious about that point.  I think it's almost  moot to argue optics, pixels, microscope, grain, diffraction - whatever - unless you ground yourself first the  real world applicaiton of how often do you haul around a big camera like that.   Maybe the question should be along the lines, for a given situation or location, what is the biggest camera you can take with you, and in that case, does or will it make a difference.

If not, hey, I seen guys do 20x24 contact prints if you really want to push the envelope...
:)

Fair points. Let's agree to disagree on the first one. I will concede that I do like my images crisp and crunchy, so as much as I've shot 8x10, I'm not a big fan and never will be.

Your second point is a total winner. I've lugged my 5x4 up hill and down dale many a time. I shot in the field with a pair of Sinar Zoom backs for many years on both a Sinar P and later on a Horseman LX. I was never pig headed enough to take the 8x10 out in the field. With the Iq180/Alpa combo, we are talking about a camera capable of meeting or exceeding the quality of an 8x10 but which you can comfortably hold in one hand.

That is pure gold.
Bryan Siebel

www.bryansiebel.com

Cineski

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 02:18:18 pm »

Yup, digital has more detail and film has more character.  What would you like to say today?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

Well,

Regarding the tonalities, with digital you can create whatever tonality you want. It's just to learn using curves. And no, I didn't say it is easy! With the photochemical process you are also working with curves, depending on film and paper manufacturer, developer and your processing.

I was scanning negative film recently, and found the colors interesting. I could probably reproduce them in LR but it may take some effort. There is a guy making film presets using spectrometer on real film and calculating adjustment for LR. I sort of left film behind me, so I'm not really interested.

Best regards
Erik

Fair points. Let's agree to disagree on the first one. I will concede that I do like my images crisp and crunchy, so as much as I've shot 8x10, I'm not a big fan and never will be.

Your second point is a total winner. I've lugged my 5x4 up hill and down dale many a time. I shot in the field with a pair of Sinar Zoom backs for many years on both a Sinar P and later on a Horseman LX. I was never pig headed enough to take the 8x10 out in the field. With the Iq180/Alpa combo, we are talking about a camera capable of meeting or exceeding the quality of an 8x10 but which you can comfortably hold in one hand.

That is pure gold.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:58:59 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Fine_Art

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »

In the update to the article the author has increased the quality of the color film in some way to show the hint of grain. Thanks, I appreciate it, It does look like this setup was maxed out. I would still increase the res, run NN, run deconvolution sharpening. The image seems scanned with a flatbed not a drum scanner. The telltale sign is the gaussian blur type softness which is from the two sides of a piece of plain glass very close to the focus plain. My flatbed has the same effect.

I will still provide a velvia sample on the weekend.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

Hello Fine Art,

I’m curious to what you are trying to prove here?

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »

So you are saying Fatali's work is now soft?

Schwarzzeit

• HIGH-END-SCANS
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 05:25:49 pm »

I also don't understand the real meaning of doing such a test. I simply remember the numerous (very) large prints I have seen from 8x10", up to 4 x 3 m, and I as well remember the resolution/sharpness I could see with my eyes in front of it. Being it flatness of the film, unprecise focus, not adjusted camera, stability of the camera or other vibrations, etc ..., this "softness" was always there, at close observation of these prints.
Something which I certainly did not see with digital sensors of the current generation and the best lenses used novadays with these digital sensors.

Thierry

Thiery,

at 3x4m you'll probably note some sort of softness on any non-stitched capture format on close inspection. Or are you trying to say a perfectly focused 80 MP can be magnified to 3x4m and still be tack sharp when viewed up close?

Here is a repost from an older thread where I posted an 8x10" sample showing some of the formats potential:

This has been my first 8x10" capture. Even though I like the image itself there are a few problems that make it unusable, the bellows shading only being the most obvious. Every step up in format opens new pitfalls to pay attention to.
The lens was a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 240mm at f/16 on Fuji Pro 160S for a little over six minutes exposure time. In fact I scanned this image at 4500 ppi (1.5 GP and 10 GB file size). Back then I was still trying to find the right master file size for my 8x10" images. I even scanned a central chunk of that film at 6000 ppi. At that resolution the full image would be 2.65 gigapixel in a massive 17 GB file. Are there any RIPs that could handle such a file?

I prepared crops at different resolutions to give you an idea on how much pixel density you need to store detail at various contrasts. The crops were sharpened and saved as quality 12 jpegs. From there you can draw your own conclusions.
6000 ppi - 2.65 GP
4500 ppi - 1.50 GP (this is a 100% crop from the master file)
2400 ppi - 400 MP (downsized from the 4500 ppi scan)
1440 ppi - 150 MP (downsized from the 4500 ppi scan)

I didn't bother to spot the file. Spotting a multi-GB file is a laborious and time consuming process.

I wonder how a perfectly focused IQ180 file would take the upscaling into these large format dimensions.

On the aperture choice:
You have to keep the size of the format in perspective. f/32 is a common working aperture on 8x10". Yes, there might be some slight gain in resolution at the center of the image at f/16 or f/22, and if you want to fully exploit the format's potential these apertures are usable with some modern LF lens designs. But the risk of sacrificing some areas of the shot due to a slightly misaligned standard or issues with film flatness may lead you to play it safe and stop down to f/32 or f/45. And even f/64 is not so bad with such a large format. The effect is similar to what f/14 does to an 80 MP back.

-Dominique

Fine_Art

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 05:34:43 pm »

Hello Fine Art,

I’m curious to what you are trying to prove here?

Cheers

Simon

My point is not to claim film is superior.

If the test was about how easily you can get an 80MP image done via two methods (workflow) there would be no issue. Even assuming I'm right that 8x10 film has much higher resolution, the 80MP back could do 4 stitched shots in the same amount of workflow time.

The issue is the test made a claim with resolution crops as proof. The test seems to be about resolution when presented this way. I do not think it is a fair test of films potential at this size.

Fine_Art

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:07 pm »

Thiery,

at 3x4m you'll probably note some sort of softness on any non-stitched capture format on close inspection. Or are you trying to say a perfectly focused 80 MP can be magnified to 3x4m and still be tack sharp when viewed up close?

Here is a repost from an older thread where I posted an 8x10" sample showing some of the formats potential:

This has been my first 8x10" capture. Even though I like the image itself there are a few problems that make it unusable, the bellows shading only being the most obvious. Every step up in format opens new pitfalls to pay attention to.
The lens was a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 240mm at f/16 on Fuji Pro 160S for a little over six minutes exposure time. In fact I scanned this image at 4500 ppi (1.5 GP and 10 GB file size). Back then I was still trying to find the right master file size for my 8x10" images. I even scanned a central chunk of that film at 6000 ppi. At that resolution the full image would be 2.65 gigapixel in a massive 17 GB file. Are there any RIPs that could handle such a file?

I prepared crops at different resolutions to give you an idea on how much pixel density you need to store detail at various contrasts. The crops were sharpened and saved as quality 12 jpegs. From there you can draw your own conclusions.
6000 ppi - 2.65 GP
4500 ppi - 1.50 GP (this is a 100% crop from the master file)
2400 ppi - 400 MP (downsized from the 4500 ppi scan)
1440 ppi - 150 MP (downsized from the 4500 ppi scan)

I didn't bother to spot the file. Spotting a multi-GB file is a laborious and time consuming process.

I wonder how a perfectly focused IQ180 file would take the upscaling into these large format dimensions.

On the aperture choice:
You have to keep the size of the format in perspective. f/32 is a common working aperture on 8x10". Yes, there might be some slight gain in resolution at the center of the image at f/16 or f/22, and if you want to fully exploit the format's potential these apertures are usable with some modern LF lens designs. But the risk of sacrificing some areas of the shot due to a slightly misaligned standard or issues with film flatness may lead you to play it safe and stop down to f/32 or f/45. And even f/64 is not so bad with such a large format. The effect is similar to what f/14 does to an 80 MP back.

-Dominique

Ok, now run your own noise routine on the 4500dpi sample. Then sharpen, preferably with a deconvolution. Anyone can see 4500dpi is a reasonable scan density for a fine film.

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 07:05:19 pm »

In the update to the article the author has increased the quality of the color film in some way to show the hint of grain. Thanks, I appreciate it, It does look like this setup was maxed out. I would still increase the res, run NN, run deconvolution sharpening. The image seems scanned with a flatbed not a drum scanner. The telltale sign is the gaussian blur type softness which is from the two sides of a piece of plain glass very close to the focus plain. My flatbed has the same effect.

Rubbish, the Dainippon is a high end drum scanner costing over $100,000 when new!

See http://www.kitmondo.com/viewlisting.aspx?lid=373290&prodName=Dainippon_Screen-SG-608-MKII

That doesn't mean the operator was  worthy of using it though.    ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:26:56 pm by mhecker* »

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 07:21:12 pm »

But in this test, and it is valid, the DoF was to be set at similar levels.

Except it wasn't.  f/32 on 8x10 won't give you the same DOF as f/16 in 645.

For example -

8x10 w/240mm lens @ f/32 focusing on a point 10 feet away - DOF 11 feet
645 w/60mm lens @ f/16 focusing on a point 10 feet away - DOF 23 feet

You can play around with this here - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/dofcalc.html

Also, try scanning film at 700 spi and 4000 spi, there is a very noticeably difference.  Don't believe me?  Look at Tim's example here - http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=780374&postcount=6

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »

I think you misunderstood Slobodan's quote, he didn't claim that film is sharper but only that is far from soft! IMO sharpness/noise are far from the first aspect I consider to judge a good print, DR is though.... I will agree with most people in this thread that resolution-wise and noise-wise film has been surpassed, I would also say that there is no point of using positive anymore, but with negative film, there is some irreplaceable extra highlight DR that digital is still missing! Besides that, there are many modern pictures that I would prefer with less detail or with a little more noise.... and I don't mean what can added digitally in PP... In my view resolution/noise is not a panacea for a good print, I guess it all depends on the subject, who for example loves J.Koudelka's or C.Bresson's pictures because of their resolution/noise characteristics? OTOH with film you can always print (much) larger than digital's 72dpi. I do believe that digital will catch up with the remaining film advantages, but judgement day hasn't arrived yet.... Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

RobertJ

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »

Thank you SCHWARZZEIT for posting those crops of the 8x10.  Those are MUCH sharper than Mr. Zuber's crops from his test, and your crops are from scans that are much LARGER.

Look, I'm 100% digital.  I have no reason to say that 8x10 film is better than digital...

But is it me, or are the crops from Mr. Zuber's test just completely soft?  It's like NOTHING is in focus.  Film isn't THAT bad, is it?  Bad test, IMO. 

Let's shoot a portrait or something.  Don't even make it a comparison against digital. 

Let's do a test to see if you can actually get something to look sharp on 8x10" film. 

Screw those wide shots with small apertures where you just hope that something is in focus.  Shoot SOMETHING.  Shoot an isolated object on 8x10, make "only" a 100MP scan, and lets see if anything is ACTUALLY IN F*CKING FOCUS!

TH_Alpa

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 02:36:54 am »

Dominique,

Yes, that's what I am saying, nothing more, but nothing less either.

Far from me the thoughts that such a 8x10" (with perfect focus, flatness of the film, alignment of the standards, critical f-stop, etc ...) enlargement is not up to the task, in the contrary, it is another world as compared to even 4x5".

As for digital, yes, I have seen such enlargements, taken with 2, 3 or 4 stitched 33 MP sensor files, with digital HR lenses, which didn't have more "softness" at close inspection, in the contrary.

What I am trying to say, without any "racism" or "animosity" against film (or 8x10" in this instance) is what Bryan said so well in his post:

"... the “legendary” status of 8x10 as the image quality champion is just that – a legend" (see the arguments given by Bryan in his post).

Thierry

Thiery,
at 3x4m you'll probably note some sort of softness on any non-stitched capture format on close inspection...
Dominique
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up