Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local Adjustment - Hue  (Read 1874 times)

MBehrens

Local Adjustment - Hue
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:57:22 pm »

For portraits where the person will have moderate rosacea, I'll use the red Hue slider to shift the colors to orange and this is very effective in toning down the red in their complexion. The down side is that this mutes the reds in the entire image. I've tried to use the color swatch in the local adjustments panel with unremarkable results. Does anyone have another approach to this in LR or some direction on how to use the color swatch to do this.

Thanks.

No I don't have PS. Sorry, haven't gone there.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Local Adjustment - Hue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:56:26 am »

I've tried to use the color swatch in the local adjustments panel with unremarkable results.

Then I'm pretty sure you aren't using it correctly...if you want to kill red, use the complementary color which is cyan. Alternatively you can combine a minus saturation with the plus cyan to make adjustments. The Color control is quite useful when you know how to control it...particularly when combined with the Auto Mask.

MBehrens

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:07:58 am »

I'm pretty sure I'm not using it correctly either. What's probably more to the point is my lack of understanding of color theory to use it correctly, but I'm learning. Seems when I think I'm doing as you suggest it just pastes a cyan hue over where ever I adjust. I want the adjustment to only affect the red pixels and it pastes over everything - maybe my issue is with the Auto Mask, it hadn't occurred to me to use it since the rosacea is blotchy and very fine and how to get it to mask for the reds. May be some learning I need on the L A Tool as well.

Jeff, do you have a video or a L A preset that shows this technique? A LL Video that explains this would be worth the price of admission.

Thanks

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:55 pm »

I am not a big fan of the auto masking feature of the adjustment brush and use it sparingly. It has a tendency to produce uneven results. Jeff has told you how to do it. Just need to learn your complimentary colors and practice and experiment.

MBehrens

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:26 pm »

OK, Off to learn and practice and experiment.

Thanks.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:35:25 am »

I am not a big fan of the auto masking feature of the adjustment brush and use it sparingly.

Well, as long as what you are doing is not a massive change in tone/color, Auto Mask works very well. The one thing I would point out is that sometimes I use Auto Mask in reverse...I'll paint in an adjustment without Auto Mask then use the Erase function with Auto Mask turned on to eliminate the adjustment in areas that don't need it. I've often found this to work better than using Auto Mask additively...

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 03:17:37 am »

The one thing I would point out is that sometimes I use Auto Mask in reverse...I'll paint in an adjustment without Auto Mask then use the Erase function with Auto Mask turned on to eliminate the adjustment in areas that don't need it. I've often found this to work better than using Auto Mask additively...

What a neat idea - that had never crossed my mind. It could come in very useful.

Thanks, Jeff.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

eliedinur

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:46 pm »

The trick to using the color adjustment in the Brush or the Grad Filter is to remember that it blends the selected color with the original color, producing a mixture of the two. In order to get only the new color you have to set saturation to -100 so you are, in effect, blending the new color with grey.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

MBehrens

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:17:21 pm »

I've been doing as directed. This blending of colors is coming clear and the Hue and Saturation controls on the color swatch very helpful. What I'm finding is that selecting the compliment color and blending it is shifting the color to grey, i.e. desaturates the color. This isn't as beneficial as the global Hue slider that shifts the reds to orange. The skin is losing its richness which isn't what I want. So I'm still looking for the hue shift in the local adjustments...

I'm probably still fighting with my color theory limitations but that can be corrected. Keeping on learning, practicing, and experimenting.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, very helpful. Any others are appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up