Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony's asking for consumer input into future FF cameras  (Read 2073 times)

maxmelvin19

Sony's asking for consumer input into future FF cameras
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:13:57 am »

My suggestions for future Alpha cameras (from a consumer - as I think we are the target) are as follows. I have omitted things like a dedicated B&W sensor because I have tried to stay enthusiast consumer and not too niche.

What are your thoughts? Possible? Desirable?

1. OVF and EVF options for FF DSLRs – some still want OVFs
2. NO AA FILTERS PLEASE!
3. High quality Leica M9 equivalent – NEX-9: perhaps a Fuji X100-esque hybrid viewfinder.
4. PLEASE invest in lens R&D as well as cameras – the best bodies are useless without comprehensive lens options.
5. EXPOSURE TO THE RIGHT HISTOGRAM-BASED METERING SYSTEM – it’s the 21st century and most of us haven’t built up habits with film cameras so stop hampering the potential of your sensors with obsolete film-centric metering…
6. Concentrate on sensors with medium format grade colour gradation/tonality as well as high ISO and dynamic range.
7. Sony please STOP considering the NEX system as purely an upgrade for compact users – the number of enthusiasts wanting to replace bulky DSLRS is undeniable.
8. EXPAND the E-mount lens line up drastically!
9. Actively persuade 3rd party lens manufacturers to make lenses for the NEX system.
10. A rear iphone sized, touch screen, retina display for checking focus.
11. Tilt-shift lenses for A-mount and E-mount which are made easier to use in live view by suggestion ’10.’.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: Sony's asking for consumer input into future FF cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:31 am »

Many of these suggestions could be applied to ALL serious camera manufacturers.

torger

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:57 am »

What are your thoughts? Possible? Desirable?

1. OVF and EVF options for FF DSLRs – some still want OVFs
2. NO AA FILTERS PLEASE!
3. High quality Leica M9 equivalent – NEX-9: perhaps a Fuji X100-esque hybrid viewfinder.
4. PLEASE invest in lens R&D as well as cameras – the best bodies are useless without comprehensive lens options.
5. EXPOSURE TO THE RIGHT HISTOGRAM-BASED METERING SYSTEM – it’s the 21st century and most of us haven’t built up habits with film cameras so stop hampering the potential of your sensors with obsolete film-centric metering…
6. Concentrate on sensors with medium format grade colour gradation/tonality as well as high ISO and dynamic range.
7. Sony please STOP considering the NEX system as purely an upgrade for compact users – the number of enthusiasts wanting to replace bulky DSLRS is undeniable.
8. EXPAND the E-mount lens line up drastically!
9. Actively persuade 3rd party lens manufacturers to make lenses for the NEX system.
10. A rear iphone sized, touch screen, retina display for checking focus.
11. Tilt-shift lenses for A-mount and E-mount which are made easier to use in live view by suggestion ’10.’.

No AA filters - check! Sensors start have so many megapixels now that lenses could act as AA filters anyway :-).

Looking at lenses more seriously - yes! Lenses is a rather important part of the system's performance. Concerning resolution (which I as a still life photographer is interested in) lenses are becoming more important than sensor.

I think exposure to the right metering has a quite narrow use, in practice it means to keep the shutter open as long as possible which is something for still life photo, where you will be exposing manually anyway. When shooting at something else than base ISO you're already wanting to limit the time shutter being open.

I'm no expert on sensor technology, but it seems to me that medium format sensors have sacrificed high ISO performance, possibly to gain something else. The thing is that with medium format you can focus on best possible performance in arranged studio photography, while a 35mm DSLR needs to be all-around.

Thing is with high quality photography you need high quality optics, and that is bulky and heavy. So a "large" DSLR body does not add much to what you already will need, so I don't see much reason for making the NEX system any other than a "higher end" compact.

Retina display! Yes! I just love live view for still life photography, but still I get nasty surprises now and then when I get home and watch the photos on high res screen. Higher res screen on the camera will certainly make life easier. And a quick touch screen interface for zooming and checking focus. Probably doubled with buttons since touch screen and cold weather is not always a good idea...

Clyde RF

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 03:26:37 am »

With the costs of mfdb's (new or used) being as high as they presently are and will undoubtedly continue to be for quite a while, I am hoping that there are enough landscape shooters like myself who want to work digitally with cameras similar to the Nex-7; to at least marginally effect the developmental direction of this type of product. With the advent of recent advances in small format imagery potential, combined with the availability of ex large format work a rounds such as Helicon Focus, there seems to be hope for favorable near future developments. Other than having high quality and durability requirements, in combination with a preference for full frame sensors, many landscape photographer's needs in this equipment segment unfortunately seem to be somewhat at odds with those of the mainstream, but I can really speak only from my own perspective. I ALWAYS work from a tripod; photographing only non moving subjects (to the extent that environmental factors such as wind force allow,) and whenever possible, return to a given location later if I think something might be gained therein.My votes for future nex-system developments are as follows:

1.Major emphasis upon BASE iso quality sensor; resolution, sharpness, contrast, color, dynamic range, noise, etc. I would almost never use any other iso but base.
2.A very simple straight forward user inter-phase with a minimum of bells and whistles.
3.Top quality Zeiss prime or zoom lenses. Preferably manual focus without image stabilization; similar to the Zeiss ZF.2 orZM for Nikon or Canon.(especially 85mm and above (35mm equ.)
4.No body image stabilization.
5.All titanium body.
6.Live view evf and lcd with 10 x focus available.
7.no AA filters.
8.Digital appropriate histogram metering.
9.If feasible, full frame sensor.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:05:04 pm »

IS Sony, or any other company, in fact asking for consumer input??

Clyde RF

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:29:57 am »

Hello Mr. Bettermann, It is always encouraging to encounter others like myself who have a respect for old growth forests, and an interest in photographing and helping to preserve them. I enjoyed visiting your website, and wish you well in your endeavors. I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina USA, and spend most of my camera time in areas where the oldest and largest trees can be found. Fortunately, the Smoky Mountain Park and certain other adjacent areas have ample protection, but in other places this is not the case. I have been doing photography on 35 mm film and 4 by 5 for quite a few years, but am just beginning to tackle the digital enigma, and will eventually post some images.

Regards, Clyde Franklin 

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:53:32 am »

Hello Clyde Franklin,

thank you for your nice words about my spartan little web site. Fine to hear of a relative-in-the mind. If you're new to digital, you may, like I was and am, be amazed by the possibilities of the digital world, compared to film and the wet darkroom.

Good light! - Hening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up