Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RawTherapee  (Read 183080 times)

mouse

RawTherapee
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:44:55 pm »

Just became aware of this software.  It seems that any mention of it in this forum is conspicuously absent.  Is there a reason?

deejjjaaaa

Re: RawTherapee
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »

It seems that any mention of it in this forum is conspicuously absent.  Is there a reason?

yes, you did not search properly... try again.

mouse

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »

Sorry, I did a search.  Found about half a dozen messages where the name "RawTherapp" was mentioned.  None of them contained any evaluation of or opinions about the program itself. 

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 03:02:41 am »

Sorry, I did a search.  Found about half a dozen messages where the name "RawTherapp" was mentioned.  None of them contained any evaluation of or opinions about the program itself. 
A search on this site for "therapee" produces three pages of hits.

Jeremy

ejmartin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:33:55 pm »

Interesting; I get the same, but when I type

site:luminous-landscape.com therapee

into Google, I get lots of results.  Looks like something is messed up with LuLa's search engine.

Anyway, what would people like to know about RawTherapee?  I am one of the developers.
emil

mouse

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:59:34 am »

Is there an instruction manual available somewhere on-line?

Ignore.  I found it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:01:52 am by mouse »

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:34:24 am »

Very interesting, because when I copy/paste "therapee" into the search field, I get ONE result only, and that is your post?! "RawTherapee" gives me NO result!?
I searched from the root of the forum. From the main page, click "Discussion forum" then type "therapee" into the search box at the top right.

Jeremy

georgelopa

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:15:00 am »

Emil,

I have Nikon D700 and D7000 and I'm now using the RT 4.0.2.2 Window7 64-bit but I'm not able to use CaptureNX2 as my external editor. Even when I save (in a separate folder) the output in 16-bit or 8-bit .tiff file after processing the .NEF file in RT, CaptureNX2 cannot open these .tiff files. CaptureNX2 can open jpeg coming from RT. I only have RT and CaptureNX2, I'm not ready for CS5.

1) Is there a work-around where I can use CaptureNX2  after I have processed the NEF in RT?

2) After processing NEF in RT, can I save it again as NEF?

Thank you very much,
george
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:17:37 am by georgelopa »

ejmartin

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 06:31:12 pm »

Emil,

I have Nikon D700 and D7000 and I'm now using the RT 4.0.2.2 Window7 64-bit but I'm not able to use CaptureNX2 as my external editor. Even when I save (in a separate folder) the output in 16-bit or 8-bit .tiff file after processing the .NEF file in RT, CaptureNX2 cannot open these .tiff files. CaptureNX2 can open jpeg coming from RT. I only have RT and CaptureNX2, I'm not ready for CS5.

1) Is there a work-around where I can use CaptureNX2  after I have processed the NEF in RT?

Not that I know of.  I thought Capture NX2 was the Nikon proprietary raw converter, so it makes sense that it is only set up to process raw/jpeg files from the camera and not do general image editing; though if it handles jpegs it wouldn't be much trouble for them to allow tiff too.

No.  The image is already converted out of the raw format into an RGB image, a NEF is a raw data container which holds undemosaiced pixel data.
emil

georgelopa

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »

Thanks a lot Emil.

george

Greg Campbell

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »

Just became aware of this software.  It seems that any mention of it in this forum is conspicuously absent.  Is there a reason?

Perhaps because it's interface is so buggy and quirky as to be useless....   ???

The illogical interface makes RT frustrating-at-best under Windows.  I don't know why the author feels the need to make such a non-standard interface. 

RT is unusable junk on my Ubuntu system where 3.0a opens in a virtual window that is significantly wider than my real screen.  Any attempt to click on any item in the interface causes the virtual window to jump back and forth between left and right justification.  Cute.

I've tried RT on several platforms over the years and always wind up deleting the "_#$^@#%$#!% pile of !#%@#$"
The program is frustrating - VERY frustrating.

ejmartin

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 10:16:05 am »

3.0 stopped being alpha software a long time ago.  Does not mean there are no longer any bugs, but it sounds like your evaluation was based on an early version.  Current development version is 4.0.

emil

Fine_Art

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 01:41:54 pm »

I'm new to RT. The current version is a good product. The interface is easy to use with no manual.

torger

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:49:09 am »

I am a frequent user of RT, and run the development version. I like to follow the development as it happens, and contribute with a bug report now and then.

If I was a professional with high production I would use lightroom because it is smoother to work with and more "fool proof". For fine art production I would possibly use RT anyway, because it has very competent algorithms and gives the power to the user, power to mess things up too. One example is to provide several highlight reconstruction algorithms, which works best depends on the photo, picking the right can give splendid results, the wrong can ruin the picture which you may not detect if you don't inspect the picture thoroughly.

Another advantage of using RT is artistic integrity, you can always find out exactly what an algorithm does, so you feel that you are in total control, there is no "make picture better in some secret way" type of functions.

torger

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 06:05:40 am »

One improvement I hope for is color accuracy, it is currently a bit difficult to work with portraits due to this. Problem is that you need to make  a development effort for every camera model, which is complicated for free software development. ICC handling is improving though so perhaps this can be solved with user contributed profiles based on colorchecker shots eventually. (I actually stopped using the commercial bibble due to poor color accuracy with my camera model.)

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 02:23:04 pm »

h so perhaps this can be solved with user contributed profiles based on colorchecker shots eventually.

and those will be mostly crappy... it takes a lot more to make a good profile then to shell a hundred $ for a chart.

torger

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 06:42:17 am »

Yes, for lesser camera models they probably will suck. For popular entry level fullframe cameras (canon 5d for example) I think there however will be a good chance that we will see good quality. There is a fairly large userbase many which care about quality and have technical knowhow.

RT is also currently getting a new ICC infrastructure which look promising.

But color accuracy is not easy, so we will see what happens.

Frankomatic

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:43 am »

Emil,

Thank you very much,
george

If RT saves the tif with an alpha channel you will not be able to open it in CaptureNX2.  Perhaps there's an option to turn off the alpha channel in RT's save dialog.  There may also be an issue with the type of compression being used, try turning off compression as well.

Once you are able to open the tif in CNX2 you can then save it as a NEF.  However you will no longer see the "Camera" section in its Develop module since it is no longer a raw image file.  Also, the Exposure adjustment in the Quick Fix section will be dimmed (not functional) as it will only work with raw data.

Regards,
Frank

georgelopa

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:35 am »

Thanks a lot Frank.

I'm now using the latest RT version (4.0.4.2) for Window 7 64-bit but I don't see the option(s) of turning off the Alpha channel and/or compression. Have you done this? If so, could you please direct me on how to do it in a more specific way? Would you mind explaining the Alpha channel?

I like the selective U-technology of the CNX2. So, right now, after processing the NEF in RT unto an 8-bit JPEG, I open the JPEG in CNX2 and convert it to NEF and continue/finish the processing in CNX2. Obviously, it would be better if I can process a tiff file ouput from RT in CNX2.

george

Frankomatic

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 01:19:39 pm »

georgelopa,

I've never used RT but have used other programs that generated tif's CNX2 couldn't open because of an alpha channel.  I only suggested looking for the option in RT's save dialog because it would be the first place I'd look, the second place would be in the program's preferences.  As a last resort I'd open the tif in Photoshop to remove it there, that's what I had to do.  I think simply flattening the image in PS then saving it will do the trick.

Regards,
Frank
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up