Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PTgui Pro 9.1 released  (Read 2232 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
PTgui Pro 9.1 released
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:28:54 am »

Those of you interested in pano might be interested in knowing that PTgui Pro 9.1 turned GA a few days ago.

The most remarkable feature of this version is the align to grid capability that will make real high res panos easier than they used to be.

The key problem when trying to use a long focal lenght for panos is that some images end up having nothing but sky in them and sky doesn't stitch well since there are no features to recognize. The image below of a mountain called Pumori in Nepal is an example of this issue. As far as I remember, this is a 4 rows of 7 columns and it took a bit of work to stitch the upper right part:

PTgui 9.1 is able to align images to a grid, optimize the image using the parts with detail and fine tune the grid accordingly to position automatically images without details as accurately as possible.

I have only done some simple tests so far, but I am impressed by the degree of advancement of this capability for a first release. It seems pretty close to perfect.

If only camera manufacturers could release improvements to their hardware half as significant as these...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:38:12 am by BernardLanguillier »

tived

• http://
Re: PTgui Pro 9.1 released
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:41:58 am »

very nice bernard

Henrik

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:50:40 am »

Excellent! Thanks for the heads-up.

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »

Those of you interested in pano might be interested in knowing that PTgui Pro 9.1 turned GA a few days ago.

The most remarkable feature of this version is the align to grid capability that will make real high res panos easier than they used to be.

The key problem when trying to use a long focal lenght for panos is that some images end up having nothing but sky in them and sky doesn't stitch well since there are no features to recognize. The image below of a mountain called Pumori in Nepal is an example of this issue. As far as I remember, this is a 4 rows of 7 columns and it took a bit of work to stitch the upper right part:

PTgui 9.1 is able to align images to a grid, optimize the image using the parts with detail and fine tune the grid accordingly to position automatically images without details as accurately as possible.

I have only done some simple tests so far, but I am impressed by the degree of advancement of this capability for a first release. It seems pretty close to perfect.

If only camera manufacturers could release improvements to their hardware half as significant as these...

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi Bernard,
Thanks for the info. I have a few images that would benefit from this new feature. As soon as I find the time, I'll be testing it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:41:26 am by francois »
Francois

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »

Thanks.  I had seen it and Hugin a couple of years ago, but had felt it wasn't ready -- that there would be too much fiddling between steps and pieces of software to get it to all work.  So I had decided to get Autopano Pro but was waiting on a computer upgrade before buying into their one-year upgrade cycle.  I'm glad I waited.

I'm glad you posted because I downloaded Hugin with PTgui and it all came together and installed and ran very nicely from the get-go.  There was some funny stuff about the interface for cropping and a couple of other details I need to look into (32 bit HDR output for example), but for basic stitching it seems to be doing an excellent job, including merging 3 shot HDR panels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up