Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Colors off  (Read 1074 times)

Miles

Z3100 Colors off
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »

Hi all,

I am always impressed by the wealth of information the members of this forum have, so here goes...

Recently my prints (primarily glossy photo paper but some canvas too) have exhibited poor red tones.  I calibrated my paper again and printed a print diagnostic image from the Z3100 menu.  When I compare the diagnostic image with one from several months ago, the red rectangle is now a light peach color.  When I look at an old diagnostic image the red was closer to bright orange (not sure why they call it red).  I also notice some of my other colors are slightly different, though you have to look hard to see the differences.  No significant clogging is evident.  The MK-R print head only has 50 ml of ink through it since replaced once and the printer says it is OK.  The HP Utility indicates the red ink cartridge has 40 ml left.  I removed the cartridge and it does still have some ink when I shake it.  Most my cartridges are currently out of warranty since I don't print enough to use them before expiration.

I have been very happy with the printer as clogs have not been an issue despite the low usage.  I leave it on all the time.  Is it possible the pigments settled and that is causing the problem?  Would installing a new cartridge and doing a cleaning cycle be the logical next step? 

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Miles

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Z3100 Colors off
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:38:15 am »

It could be pigment settling. I would however go through all color management settings and make sure nothing goes wrong there. Check the calibration patches against an older calibration target on the same paper. If there is a real difference then you have to look for problems with the ink and heads.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:43 pm »

I recently ran a series of prints of a painting with blue sky, and noticed printing the same piece several days apart resulted in sky tones that noticeably differed. I even re-calibrated the paper, and still had variances I had previously changed out all my print heads from the originals, except for the yellow/magenta head, which had 1500 mls of ink through it. I have since changed out that print head, and have not had any variance problems since. This is the first time that I have noticed having variance problems since I've had the machine. I hope the old print head was the source of the problems.

mrenters

• http://www.teckelworks.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:58:41 am »

It could also be that one of the heads is going.  I had my yellows turn orange and I ended up replacing the head.  Try doing a diagnostic print from the front panel and checking each of the color rectangles.

Martin

Miles

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:07 am »

Thanks everyone for your input.  I have now tried replacing the ink cartridge with a new one but the results are the same.  I now believe, as has been suggested, that it is the print head.  I will contact HP later today as the red-mk print head is still under warrantee since my last replacement.

Miles
Pages: [1]   Go Up