Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To coat or not to coat?  (Read 2014 times)

mburke

To coat or not to coat?
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:12 am »

I recently went to a few art fairs and more than one artist that does canvas photography said that they don't coat their canvas. I was very surprised. Their work really looked nice and they claimed they had no problems with abrasion when hauling their work from show to show and that they have no customer complaints with fading (although I'm sure the time sample was not huge).

I have had problems with spraying Glamour II in the past. I struggle with the consistency and get a lot of runs. I just bought some BC Lyve and printed a few pieces and then mounted them with the EZ wrap bars (they are pretty slick). It was nice not to have to set up a spray booth in the garage, mix the GII, and then try to figure out how much to put on. Besides that it was 90 degrees and humid.

Another positive is that what you print is what you get. There isn't any change from spraying.

I know all this probably sounds like heresy, but if your not selling your stuff as archival or for museum pieces is there really a difference?

I'd like to hear some thoughts.

Mike

KenBabcock

Re: To coat or not to coat?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:17:20 am »

I have a few test pieces here at home that are not coated just to see.  They've been hanging in direct sunlight for a few years and there is no fading at all.

However, other than those test canvases I do coat everything.

Just yesterday one of my prints got hit with frozen red kids treat thingy, almost like a Mr. Freeze idea.  This one you had to twist the package around in the middle to open it up.  When it opened it squirted about 4 feet and covered and walls and a canvas print.  Easily wiped off.  I'm positive if it hadn't been coated the print would have been destroyed with red blotches all over it.

Fingerprints and oil off your hand in general will get onto the uncoated canvas and those areas will appear shinier than the rest of the canvas.  Very annoying.  Imagine how your clients will feel looking at shiny fingerprints.  If that were me I'd never order another canvas from you.

If you're having problems with Glamor II then I'd suggest you try Eco Print Shield and roll it on.  It's what I do and is perfect every time.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »

The main reason for coating is the protection it offers from abrasions, liquid spills AND from Ozone and atmospheric contaminates. Although pigments are pretty tough, ozone in particular can have pretty bad consequences for the print. Also, if you like a gloss, the vinyl acrylics gave a very nice finish, that you can modify by mixing in some matte for a semi-gloss look.

Clearair

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »

I don't coat for the reasons mentioned. If I sell a print the buyer is aware.
Try to coat a ceramic or delicate sculpture and the kids will make short work of that.
EErr I was unaware that museums want things coated, why? They generally have conservation in mind with galleries.
Like don't touch, no flash/direct sunlight, or eating/drinking.
Accidents happen.
It not the ozone then next years pollutant will get that piece of art.
I still have to deal with photographers that think all inkjet printing is crap unless kept in a shut album.
There are glorified copiers pumping out limited edition prints with the blessing of the so called art guilds for a few quid.
Sold by luvvies in galleries.

No I don't coat.

mikev1

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:51:31 pm »

Here are my thoughts.... If printing for yourself do what you want.

If printing for clients and printing on glossy or satin canvas do what you want if you are upfront with the client about potential issues.

If you are printing on matte canvas you are asking for big trouble not coating the prints.  Matte canvas scuffs, cracks etc if you even look at it wrong.  Though something like the Epson exhibition matte canvas is less prone to cracking.

Remember it is only your reputation on the line.

All this being said, coated canvas doesn't respond well to knocks and bumps.  I seem to get more damage on the sample wraps I hand to clients that are coated vs not coated.  (the corners tend to lose bigger chunks when knocked).  Coated canvas holds up better to liquid and people touching the surface.

The longevity issue is not for me to answer.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:04 pm »

Folks seem to have pretty strong feelings about coating canvas, don't they?

If I'm printing for myself, or I know that the piece will be hung out of reach, I indulge in heresy (I print on either gloss or satin canvas), 'cause I prefer the look (more heresy). Otherwise, I try to remember how much fun it is to spray.

If the wrapped area is solid matte black ink, it makes a mess if it's not sprayed when I stretch it.

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:07:46 am »

If the wrapped area is solid matte black ink, it makes a mess if it's not sprayed when I stretch it.

Bingo. #1 reason you better put a coating on, particularly if you aren't putting it in a frame. And one of the primary reasons I print my images onto canvas wraps is to avoid having to build 40x50 in. frames. Much less $$$ to coat than to frame. Looks better. And protected to boot. No glass for the gallery or venue or any handlers to break. And almost impossible to ruin with fingerprints or scuffs or foolish handling, unlike uncoated. Don't coat a solid black wrap and all one has to do is pick it up with bare fingers to ruin it. And it has to be reprinted. It's impossible to fix.

All of my work that I show, I coat. But then I print a ton of canvas for others as well. 99% of those customers pay me extra to coat their prints. I'm not even positive it's not 100% because I actually can't think of a customer, since I started spraying, when they compared the coated canvas to the uncoated, that did not want to pay extra for coating. Cheaper, faster, easier than reprinting!

enduser

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:22:38 am »

We use matte canvas for all our work, and the matte black inks mark very easily if left uncoated, as said above.  We then use a Wagner HVLP gun to spray a satin final coat using a ready-to-use special digital art protective product available here in Oz.  Similar products are available in the US and Europe.

Using the Wagner gun is easily learned and a very straightforward process, much simpler than rolling: no uneven application, no bubbles, and no mixing.  Two coats give a fabulous finish.

I think if gloss canvas were used instead that non-coating might be quite viable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up