Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D question  (Read 3394 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Pentax 645D question
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:10:33 pm »

I was planning on purchasing a pentax 645D but after Ricoh has purchased pentax from hoya I'm a little nervous about what the plans are which the higher end gear. Does anyone have some better insight on the situation ?

michael

Re: Pentax 645D question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »

Not unless that person is on the Board of Directors of Ricoh.

It's actually a very acute issue and it would be good if Pentax could make a statement on the future of the 645D project.

I recently spent several days using Nick Devlin's 645D and full complement of lenses and was very impressed. The value for money is extraordinary. (Not all Pentax lenses are up for the task though).

An issue for those in the US and Canada is that Pentax isn't importing their legacy lenses. These are widely available in Europe and Asia, but not here. Hard to understand why not.

In any event, it's a great piece of gear which deserves to have a future.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »

Hi!

I agree with all Michael says. I'd say it would be good if Ricoh management issued some statement.

On the other hand, tooling and development costs are laid down already, so investment is already done. As long the line yields decent revenue they will probably keep it. Question is lenses, will Pentax develop and manufacture a complete program of lenses?

Best regards
Erik

Not unless that person is on the Board of Directors of Ricoh.

It's actually a very acute issue and it would be good if Pentax could make a statement on the future of the 645D project.

I recently spent several days using Nick Devlin's 645D and full complement of lenses and was very impressed. The value for money is extraordinary. (Not all Pentax lenses are up for the task though).

An issue for those in the US and Canada is that Pentax isn't importing their legacy lenses. These are widely available in Europe and Asia, but not here. Hard to understand why not.

In any event, it's a great piece of gear which deserves to have a future.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

tsjanik

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:18:21 pm »

A definitive statement concerning the 645D would be welcome.  In the meantime, the press release from Ricoh is promising:

Ricoh intends to maximize the synergy from the merger between Ricoh’s digital camera
business and PENTAX Imaging System Business in various ways.
1) Strengthening the digital camera business
 Enhanced interchangeable-lens cameras to meet expected future growth
 Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio
2) Creation of new business delivering added value to consumers
 Creation and development of value-added businesses such as making it easy to
view, save and retouch photos.
3) Other benefits
 Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital
cameras  Expansion of security related products

http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/0701_1.html

Items 1 and 3 in particular, would be inconsistent with termination of the 645D.

Tom

PS Frankly, I'm more comfortable with Ricoh than I was with Hoya.  Hoya was quite clear in expressing their disinterest in the camera division of Pentax.  Ricoh, in contrast, acquired only the camera division.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:24:04 pm by tsjanik »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:11:39 am »

As Erik said, the R&D of the 645D is already behind them, and it appears to be selling quite well, with a demand for more lenses. It doesn't make a lot of sense to axe this product line. In fact, this has real potential for growth, imo.

fotojoh

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:35:33 pm »

I was also in the same dilemma. I put my pending 645d purchase on hold as soon as I heard about the upcoming ownership change. I talked with an executive at Pentax USA and was comforted somewhat by his demeanor on the changeover. He was actually quite enthusiastic about Ricoh ownership. They are about 5 times bigger than Hoya, have deeper pockets and a much stronger commitment to being in the camera business. I've since decided to go forward with purchasing the system. FYI I also have a Contax 645 system and recently tested the PhaseOne P65+. I intend to hold on to it till I'm fully comfortable with the Pentax 645d.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:29:55 pm by fotojoh »

Jon Maxim

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:40 pm »

I just bought a new 645D before the news. For some reason I am quite calm about it. I just love the camera. I could not afford get into MF any other way and I notice that there are 645 lenses available out there if you want to look for them. Even if they do not continue to develop the line I am happy with my purchase. But there again, I am not a professional...

Jon
Jon
 (I used to be professional but I imp

sanzari

Re: Pentax 645D Lust
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:31:12 pm »

I am still doing the MF rounds. I love the look, i love the shallow depth of field and i love the fact it slows you down. the dynamic range of the file in the right circustances outshines 35mm even the M9 and the focus is much better than most although Hasselbld true focus seems to be the best at present.

The price is my problem at present, for MF its fab and as a working pro where my client (bride) does not need 40 mpixels, I am trying to dave for this frantically.

I saw the news myself thought i dodged a bullet and then 2 weeks later they release a lacquer version. Now I am sure that Pentax wanted to be purchased and so built an MF loss leader into the MF business whilst maintaining the SLR loyalist knowing that a Panny, or Ricoh or similar would want some of it.

But the lacquer version tells me they are still developing, they are trying to impress the market with a Leica style special edition and I hope they continue as this was truley a ground shaker and world changer out there.

The lenses are an issue and it feels like ebay or stamp collecting for most to get the lenses. Also the new 25mm is positioned in Leica country at that price !!!! So I am guessing more lenses on the way but at what price. Perhaps its the pro-£% mm SLR view of the worl. Spend you money on lenses the bodies will always change and at $10k they can every 2-3 years for a PRO.

So I will continue my lust and my save, and see what happens at XMAS when i walk into BHPHoto.!!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:54:19 pm »

Hi,

For those seriously interested in the P645D I'd recommend checking out Diglloyds report on the camera: http://diglloyd.com/prem/prot/DAP/Pentax645D/index.html

It's a pay site but well worth the investment before shelling out 10K. A quick summary of his findings may be:

- The camera is very nice, most advanced MF camera yet
- I think he is satisfied with build quality
- He finds focusing difficult (both manual focus and autofocus). But he also had issue with Leica S2 and Leica M9 and a lot of other cameras
- Lens quality varies a lot

Miles Hecker has two excellent reviews, here: http://wyofoto.com/Pentax_645D/Pentax_645D_review_pt1.html and they are even free!

And of course this one: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/2010_mini_medium_format_shoot_out.shtml

Best regards
Erik

I was planning on purchasing a pentax 645D but after Ricoh has purchased pentax from hoya I'm a little nervous about what the plans are which the higher end gear. Does anyone have some better insight on the situation ?
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up