Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on lightweight tripod.  (Read 2463 times)

NigelC

Advice on lightweight tripod.
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:00:02 am »

Deleted
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:00:16 am by NigelC »

NigelC

Re: Advice on lightweight tripod.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:57:29 am »

OK, I'll make this simpler and I had a flick through Messrs Hogan and Lloyds recommendations on this.

a)Just on heads, taking the Arca Swiss DP Z ballhead as a reference, are the Accratech or Linhof Profi II acceptable (but cheaper) alternatives?

b) I would expect the Benro (Gitzo copy) CF legs to be les refined than the real Gitzo, but are they are stable?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:02:25 am by NigelC »

stever

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:13:36 pm »

i have the small Markins head which seems to be a good match for a light tripod - mine is the Feisol CT-3441 with optional short column.  this is a 4-section tripod since convenient packing in a suitcase is a priority  - otherwise a 3-section would be stiffer for the weight.  i think Benro, Induro, etc. are not much different, but you should make sure there aren't any operation features than you find awkward

i have had glue joint failures with the Feisol, but i think this is an issue with all CF tripods -- including Gitzo

with this combination i use an RRS L-plate and nodal slide (others now make equivalent products) and 5D2.  the nodal slide allows the camera/lens combination to be balanced on the head so it doesn't flop around as badly and the tendency to creep when positioning is greatly reduced.  the nodal slide is also useful for pans of relatively close subjects.  the L-plate allows vertical pans and portraits (flopping the camera over on the ball head is always a bad idea, but particulary with lightweight heads and tripods

for the 300, get a lens plate long enough to balance the camera/lens with and without the extender.  for long lenses (and often shorter lenses too) i much prefer a gimbal, but the 4th Generation Mongoose 2.3 is the only light weight one and it's out of production

stever

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »

should also add that i like to use a remote release - the Canon IR remote is convenient once you get used to reaching under the camera to hit the sensor

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:00 pm »

The Benro tripods are wonderful - I have the C-358 and it is easily as good, durable and rugged as a Gitzo - and significantly cheaper. Benro is in the process of releasing new models, here is one you might be interested in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270765410719&rvr_id=241314518486&clk_rvr_id=241314518486&mfe=sidebar

but shop around and make offers...this model supports up to 39 pounds or so...Benro makes smaller models in the same design - perhaps the lighter weight ones would be more suitable.

rdc/nyc

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »

Looks to me as if Induro and Benro are both chinese made Gitzo clones - also now 3 Legged Thing which I suspect quite similiar.

2 questions about Induro - is the short centre column standard or is it an extra? and what are the Induro ball heads like?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »

The original post is deleted, so I'm going by the thread title. My choice is Gitzo 1541T with Markins Q3T ballhead which is specifically designed to be used with that tripod, and allows the legs to close fully. It's a very compact package, and fits in my standard airline carry-on bag without having to go diagonal (corner-to-corner). It's a great combo for MFT and APS-C for wide- to portrait length lenses. I don't shoot long lenses so don't know about those.

SBP

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »

Hakuba 503mx. Just ordered one myself. $199 and has amazing reviews. Will post my thoughts once it arrives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up