Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3.5 crash on backup  (Read 1839 times)

Robcat

LR 3.5 crash on backup
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

I upgraded to 3.5 (on well-functioning PC) about 2 mos ago. Initially no problems but over last few weeks LR has crashed whenever the catalog backup runs. I get the message "LR encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit. LR will attempt to fix problem the next time it launches." Clicking "ok" at this message takes you back to the backing up catalog box (rather than quitting) and the progress bar does not move. "Cancel" completes the crash. The problem has continued for multiple reboots of the computer and restarts of LR. I tried unchecking the option "test integrity before backup" which did not help, but when I also unchecked "optimize catalog" it did run a backup without problem. Thoughts on a fix?
Rob P

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Re: LR 3.5 crash on backup
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:43:24 am »

Hi Rob,

I would strongly suggest to do a complete catalog-repair, regardless the time it takes. It looks as if the database is not running in a normal state.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:33:42 am »

I would first try deleting your cache and recreating.  Then I would check your disk for errors both with chkdsk and a sector scan.  That's a symptom of a failing HDD in many cases.

Robcat

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:03:21 pm »

I would strongly suggest to do a complete catalog-repair, regardless the time it takes. It looks as if the database is not running in a normal state.
Hi Robert, I'm afraid I don't know how to do a catalog repair. I don't see any commands from the toolbar or on any of the menus that look like they do that. Search in LR help didn't tell me either. Could you briefly explain or tell me where to learn this? Thanks.
Rob P

Robcat

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:10:11 pm »

I would first try deleting your cache and recreating. 
I'm feeling pretty dim tonight. I didn't know how to follow Robert's suggestion to repair the catalog, and I don't know how to delete the cache and recreate it (I can at least run chkdsk  :))
Rob P

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:46:46 am »

Hi Rob,

here is what you could do :

- make a safe and sound copy of your Lightroom catalog with the help of your operationg-system ( filename to safe . *.lrcat )
- start Lr when you press and hold the strg key
- Lr will come up with a new dialog-box, showing you the path to the current catalog and it's name
- press the button 'check integrity of catalog'
- Lr wil start to checkthe integrity which could take much time. If an error occurs, it will come up with repair catalog
- After this process is competed, start Lr, crrate a backup and go to the menu 'optimize catalog' ( under file - optimize-catalog)
- when this is done, create another backup-of your now repaired and optimized catalog.[/li][/list]

If this all failes ( we keep our fingers crossed !), another worthwhile attemp could be to create a new catalog from scratch and import all data from the former one.

All information is for using a PC / windows based machine. As far as I know, the file menu on a MAC is replaced by the Lightroom-menu.

Good luck and keep us informed !

Robert
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:49:39 am by Robby »
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '
Pages: [1]   Go Up