Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: (ipf8100) is it possible to check printer age status with no ink?  (Read 1999 times)

artbot

i'm looking at purchasing a used ifp8100.  can one simply go to the screen menu to look at the lifetime square footage printed etc?  or does that require paper and ink?

aa

Pete Berry

Re: Q: (ipf8100) is it possible to check printer age status with no ink?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:32 pm »

In my iPF5000, select "Status Monitor" on the main driver preferences page, then "Information", and you get a detailed summary of paper usage broken down by media type and feed source, as well as a huge amount of undecipherable data regarding the machine.

Sounds as if this is used printer you're considering: as the seller can't prove normal printer function, assume you will be needing to replace the two printheads at $500-600 each. And with no ink to boot, the printer IMHO has very little, if any real value, and a barrel full of expensive liabilities.

Pete

Clearair

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:35:45 pm »

I must be missing something here as I can't access that info on my similar model iPF6100.
Print logs only go to 100.

To so readily dismiss a used 44 inch printer with a huge new price tag compared to iPF5000/iPF6100 because of print heads seems strange. 
Is the OP in America or ?

'Yes' we have the 300 series and yes it's used. But we don't know it's asking price do we?

Look at the general condition, ask a Canon LFP service agent/reseller for advise.

Or lets just throw the world away.

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:01 am »

I must be missing something here as I can't access that info on my similar model iPF6100.
Print logs only go to 100.

To so readily dismiss a used 44 inch printer with a huge new price tag compared to iPF5000/iPF6100 because of print heads seems strange. 
Is the OP in America or ?

'Yes' we have the 300 series and yes it's used. But we don't know it's asking price do we?

Look at the general condition, ask a Canon LFP service agent/reseller for advise.

First, it's the Status Display, not the Print Log in Status Monitor > Information dialog that summarizes total usage. Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

Second, I'm assuming from the OP , perhaps wrongly, that the printer has no ink, and thus is unable to prove normal function. Printhead failure (I've had two in four years in my 5000) would be the most common reason. A set of "small" 330ml tanks is $1962 at ColorHQ in the States, and the cheapest price I found in a brief search was $500 for a PF-03 printhead - two needed.

So here we are, with my assumptions, almost at $3000 without paying a penny for the printer itself, just to get it going to see if any other problems were evident. ColorHQ currently lists the fabulous new 8300, which comes with full 330ml tanks, at $3350 after a $1200 factory rebate.

In following the Canon LFP Wiki for years, it has proven very difficult to get rid of a used printer, with things usually ending in just  selling the remaining consumables at a discount and taking the carcass to an electronic recycling center.

Pete

Clearair

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:42 am »

Pete

Thats the issue, here in the UK we don't see the discounts talked about in the USA.
Quick look at suppliers that are genuine Canon suppliers still shows an iPF8300 at approx £5400.00.

If you want delivery, back up etc.

Discount houses are quote only (no published prices)
Some approx £3600.00 but these may be trade only or never in stock.

Print heads at £270.00

I know of no recycling specific to these products, you would have to take it to the local dump yourself.

If someone offered me a used 8100 that my local approved supplier would check out for me as a valued customer
For £1000.00 I would bit their hand off.

Regards

artbot

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:11:45 am »

sorry, i didn't make myself clear.

the printer is low to empty on two carts (all other carts are original).  i don't know if that renders the printer in a "replace cartridge" function and won't print.  i'm just repeating back what the seller told me.  "the printer is stored and because of no ink (low ink) can't print out the status chart thing.

as for replacing ink,  i am definitely going with aftermarket ink.  there are a few reputable third party ink manufacturers now.  will i regret it?  maybe.  but i sell wholesale to the design industry.  so i'll need to get the prints out at about half price.  if i can get this thing installed i've already got 600 24x36's on order.  why not go new?  because i'm going to tear it apart and modify it for my own use.  a printer under warranty is no fun at all.

thanks for the heads up on how to get through the menu!  that will be very helpful in determining if the seller is being truthful about the age/mileage of the printer.

aa

Pete Berry

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »

You have the option of viewing the report on a computer with 8100 software loaded and cable connected. Seems like the seller could arrange to do this in your presence if he/she has nothing to hide.

If you are not familiar with the Canon LFP Wiki, this is the best source for any info on the big ones:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/list/FAQ

There have been several threads on aftermarket inks you can search. And you will find a few other intrepid souls like yourself who seem to enjoy endless hours of diagnosis, dissection and transplant surgery on their bargain used printers, with access to the full tech manuals.

Good luck, aa!

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up